“Old Style London Tourist Hotel”
Review of Thistle Euston

Thistle Euston
Ranked #343 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 9 November 2013

I've changed jobs recently so am getting to grips with my new employer's travel preferences - strangely they use the same agent as my previous employer but the choices for London are very different.

I haven't stayed in a Thistle hotel since the days of the Tower Thistle and this example is probably representative of why. The lobby is modern and shiny but the underlying hotel is old and worn - a relic of the 1980s which has undergone minimal refurbishment. My room was a single and was a reasonable size compared with other London singles I've stayed in, but you could still reach the desk from the bed. Furniture and fixtures were old, worn, marked and tired. The bath had been obviously re-enamelled in situ and had a strange rough surface.

I arrived around 22:30 after a long day working and travelling back from Istanbul and check-in was quick. A late meal in the bar was OK - I was going to choose Room Service, but a combination of a 12.5% "optional" service charge AND a £5 tray charge put me off - if I'd gone for a £10 meal it would have cost me £16.25 to eat it in my room - that's outrageous in my view - a markup of 62.5%

The room was noisy both from outside and from the plumbing - other people's ablutions could clearly be heard, which is unpleasant at the best of times.

Breakfast at 09:00 on a Saturday morning was a mad scrum in the basement and was average at best. This looked like a common problem as there was a table outside the restaurant with juice and croissants labelled "for you, while you wait for your table" - surely an admission of defeat.

Overall - I'll be trying to avoid this hotel in the future unless I am desperate to stay next to Euston.

1  Thank Jorganmeister
Mark G, General Manager at Thistle Euston, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Dear Jorgan Meister,

I am sorry that you were not completely satisfied with your stay, we went through a £ 9 Million refurbishment last year and the entire hotel was re done, we also frequently do preventive refurbishment on the rooms to keep them of a high standard.

If possible could you send me a direct mail with what room number you stayed in and as a matter of urgency I will get our maintenance team to have a look over the room.

We will also review our staffing levels to ensure that we have the best coverage possible at peak times such as breakfast etc.

I hope you would come again and give us the chance to change your opinion on the hotel, if you do come again please let me know.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,194)

Reviewed 7 November 2013

I booked this hotel very last minute and they still had plenty of availability at a good price for Central London.
First impressions were good - the staff were incredibly welcoming, yet efficient. The hotel was clean and there were plenty of staff on hand.
I stayed in room 306, which was rather small but large enough for me on my own. I ordered room service, which arrived within 30 minutes and was delicious. I did call room service again to collect the tray but no-one ever appeared so I just left the tray outside the room and it was gone by morning.
My main gripe comes with the door to the adjoining room that was located at the end of my bed. There was nothing to prove that it was locked from my side (save trying to open it, which I did) so I spent the entire night trusting that the gentleman on the other side wasn't going to appear in my bedroom in the middle of the night. It also impacted the sound proofing dramatically - I could hear him snoring all night (even over the movie I was watching!) and when he got up at 6am and put his TV on, I was woken up too. The noise coming from the hallway was also much louder than what I've experienced in similar hotels - I could hear people talking and opening/shutting doors all night which became quite annoying.
I wouldn't rule out staying in this hotel - it's in a great central location for a sensible price, but I would definitely ask for a quiet room at the end of a corridor, without the adjoining door.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room if you want a good nights sleep.
2  Thank Leila T
Mark G, General Manager at Thistle Euston, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Hi Leila Emily,

I am pleased to read that you stayed with us only a few days ago, it is brilliant to know that our staff made you feel welcome and you were satisfied with the food we had serviced you.

We are putting a lot of effort into our bar and restaurant service/food, we are trying to promote exceptional service from our waiting staff and constantly brainstorming some different and unique meal ideas.

I can only apologise for the disturbance you had from the room next door, we do have some rooms with inter connecting doors, this enables us to accommodate guests who are in large family groups with children 16 years or over. I will speak to our maintenance department about the particular room that you were in; we will have a look to see if any additional sound proofing can be done.

I hope this will not stop you coming again to the Thistle Euston, please let me know when you next come and I will guarantee you get very quiet nights sleep.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

In an excellent location for Euston Station, just a few minutes walk. Free WiFi (BT connect) throughout the hotel. The hotel was clean and comfortable. The bed was very comfortable. All the staff we encountered were incredibly friendly. Breakfast was very good, also meal in the restaurant.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel, all of the feedbacks that we receive from our guests help us improve our service.

We are on of the only hotel groups to offer free WIFI across all of our hotels, we have the quickest connection in London too, and this allows us to give our guests easy access and a reliable service.

I hope to see you enjoying our breakfast again in the future

Reviewed 6 November 2013

We (work colleague & Client) stayed at the hotel for business as we had a few sites to visit in and around the capital. It was recommended to us by the client, it was very well received as the location was ideal and quiet, the rooms were of a high standard, the bar and restaurant food was better than we expected. The interior was done to a high standard although it had recently been refurbished which was evident. The staff were friendly and very accommodating with our requests. I would recommend the hotel to all for business and Pleasure which was seen in the mix of people at breakfast.

Room Tip: we had room 320 which was quite and facing the station which was very quiet.

Dear Reviewer,

Many thanks for choosing the Thistle Euston for your business trip. We are fortunate enough to have a great location as you said that appeals to both business and leisure guests.

You were correct in saying we have recently had a refurbishment which was finished in May 2012, we are doing all we can to keep the hotel to a very high standard for all of our guests. This includes doing soft refurbishments such a painting and replacing carpets frequently.

We are currently going through a lot of training for all of our staff members including management to enable us to try and meet all of our guest’s requests. I hope to welcome you back to Thistle Euston on either business or pleasure sometime in the future.

Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed just one night but very pleased with location, short walk from station so easy to get around. Modern comfortable room. Superb breakfast. Expensive drinks in bar! Very friendly and helpful staff. Would defo stay again.

• Stayed: November 2013
Mark G, General Manager at Thistle Euston, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Hi Widgey,

Thank you for staying with us here at Thistle Euston, I am very pleased you thought the breakfast was a high standard; we have been making changes to ensure it is just what our guest’s need!

Hope to welcome you here again.

Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

We over nighted at the Thistle before onward travel. We booked quite late, so had to pay around £200, which I suppose is around the 'norm' for London. Have to say was quite surprised. All the staff we encountered were incredibly friendly. We had a good meal in the restaurant as well as breakfast the following morning. The hotel was clean and comfortable and only 10 mins walk from the Eurostar terminal.

• Stayed: October 2013

Dear Guest,

I am extremely pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us during October 2013. We are very fortunate to be within walking distance of both Euston station and London Kingscross with access to the Eurostar.

We are investing a lot into our food and beverage side of the hotel at the moment and it is always great to hear that you enjoyed both the food and service.

Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

Thistle Euston is in an excellent location for Euston Station, just a few minutes walk. The hotel has been fairly recently refurbished and provides modern facilities with traditional elegance. Free WiFi (BT connect) throughout the hotel is a must these days and was easy to connect to and provided a fast connection and reliable service.

My room was a single and was perfect. There was a large desk / dressing table which provided ample work space. The bed was very comfortable, wardrobe was a good size, iron and board provided, and room safe, all of which are essential. The en-suite had a bath which personally I could do without as I would prefer a walk in shower and extra space in the room. However, it was all spotlessly clean and the over bath shower was powerful. The room temperature just right and could be adjusted for personal preference.

The hotel lounge bar is very comfortable and the hotel restaurant provided a good selection of food at a reasonable price. Breakfast was very good.

All of the staff were extremely professional and helpful. Nothing was too much trouble, and they went out of their way to ensure my stay was the best it could be.

My only very minor comments would be that there should be drinking water available in the room.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Mark G, General Manager at Thistle Euston, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Great to read that you were pleased with the hotel, we are putting a lot of focus on increasing our customer experience to become the best experience we can offer and any feedback that you give us will help us achieve our goals.

I will pass on your comments to the relevant teams and will also pass on the comment of drinking water onto our house keeping department, who will rectify it as soon as possible.

I hope that if you are ever in Euston again you would come and stay with us.