“A great option before an early train”
Review of Thistle Euston

Thistle Euston
Ranked #292 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Sydney, Australia
“A great option before an early train”
Reviewed 12 November 2013

My fiancee and I decided to stay here because we were catching the Eurostar to Paris fairly early the next morning. It proved to be an excellent choice. It's fairly close to the Eurostar terminal and we also had a clean, comfortable and well maintained room. The staff were friendly and we had a very decent breakfast downstairs before departing. I'd definitely recommend as a close-to-the-train option or just somewhere reasonably affordable to stay when in London.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Mark G, General Manager at Thistle Euston, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Dear Macsimmi,

I hope that you enjoyed your trip to Paris back in the Summer.

We are in a great location for people travelling via Euston station or Kingscross and St Pancras. We are making a lot of improvements to our hotel and aiming to provide the best services to our guests, this hopefully is reflected in the breakfast that we provide as well as other aspects of your stay.

I hope to see you again if you return to Paris or even if you want to stay in London.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (687)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Adelaide
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Only 10 minutes walk from St Pancras Station and situated alongside a beautiful park accessible from the street.
The staff were really nice to deal with and the room was spacious and clean.
Lovely bathroom too.
My favourite shortbreads were included on the tea tray.
Breakfast was included for us and it was a beautiful smorgasbord of goodies.
Easily accessible to the tube with Euston tube only five minutes away.

Room Tip: Ask for one overlooking the park.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Mark G, General Manager at Thistle Euston, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Dear Terry D,

Pleased you approve of our choice of biscuit I know that shortbread is very popular, thank you for the great review.

We put a lot of effort into providing the best customer service possible and I am extremely pleased to read that you were satisfied with your stay.

Thanks.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2013

For the last 12 weeks i have stayed at this hotel for 3-4 nights a week. On occasion my company books me in somewhere else and the disasterous experiences highlight to me every time why this hotel is so good and why i always want to come back.

Highlights:

Quick friendly reception. Specific room requests are always met.

Room service is swift and the food quality, compared to a lot of hotels in this price bracket, is above average. When you're eating in the hotel most days it is nice to be able to get a decent selection of fresh fish and less stodgy dishes than the usual burger and spag ol fare. Cicken gremolata is not something that usually crops up on a hotel menu.

The rooms are nice and modern, however there is a big difference in room size across the board so you could end up with one thats a bit smaller than usual. The king size rooms are obviously more generous and the beds are nice and big. Bathrooms are good, showers consistent in temperature and powerful. Towels are a good size and plentiful. Pillows are not too hard or soft. Air con/heating actually works and isn't too noisy.

Im sure there are downsides, especially if you are staying for one night and you expect a lot from your stay and the city. But for business use, this hotel is pretty top notch for its price bracket. It also feels safe walking along the surrounding roads at night, important for us ladies.

The best thing: WIFI is free!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Castaway,

Thank you for your great review and praise of our hotel it means a lot that we are your preferred choice.

We are a great location for both convenience and we are a little back from the main road which does make some guests feel a lot safer. It is brilliant to read that you find our rooms comfortable and modern, with powerful showers I know that is a real plus for many guests.

I do hope you will be staying with us long time to come and anything I can help with please let me or our Relationship Manager know.
Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

Not a lot to say. Staff didn't answer phone when busy. Faulty heating got fixed pretty promptly. Bistro ok ish. Begrudge paying £12 for breakfast, and £200 for a room. Good for Euston station. Bed comfy enough and good wifi connection

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Steve B
Hi Steve B,

I am pleased to read that you found our beds comfortable and our WIFI connection to be good, we actually have the faster and most reliable connection in London presently to allow our guests to tend to emails or search the web.

I will pass on details to our front of house team about manning the phones during the day, sometimes at peak times it can be difficult to tend to everything but I will look at staffing levels and come up with the solution as soon as possible.

Thank you.
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Great hotel short walk from Euston station so not in the middle of everything but a 5 minute walk from Tottenham court Road and another 10 minutes on to Oxford Street. Room was smaller than expected but clean and comfortable. Staff were all extremely friendly and helpfulland couldn't do enough to assist. Would definately return or recommend to a friend

• Stayed November 2013
Mark G, General Manager at Thistle Euston, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Dear Sarah B,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel, I am glad you had a good experience and will pass on your feedback to our staff. We are doing a lot of training at the moment and will be doing what ever we can to accommodate our guests requests.

I hope to see you again at the Thistle Euston.
Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

Excellent location. Clean and predictably expensive considering competition close at hand. Comfortable (if not small) room with efficient dub glazing to keep out the noise. Very friendly staff, especially at breakfast, where Shahib made us so Welcome.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Hi Gary,

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and you found our staff to be friendly, I will pass on your comments about our breakfast staff, it is always great to hear positive feedback.
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 November 2013

I've changed jobs recently so am getting to grips with my new employer's travel preferences - strangely they use the same agent as my previous employer but the choices for London are very different.

I haven't stayed in a Thistle hotel since the days of the Tower Thistle and this example is probably representative of why. The lobby is modern and shiny but the underlying hotel is old and worn - a relic of the 1980s which has undergone minimal refurbishment. My room was a single and was a reasonable size compared with other London singles I've stayed in, but you could still reach the desk from the bed. Furniture and fixtures were old, worn, marked and tired. The bath had been obviously re-enamelled in situ and had a strange rough surface.

I arrived around 22:30 after a long day working and travelling back from Istanbul and check-in was quick. A late meal in the bar was OK - I was going to choose Room Service, but a combination of a 12.5% "optional" service charge AND a £5 tray charge put me off - if I'd gone for a £10 meal it would have cost me £16.25 to eat it in my room - that's outrageous in my view - a markup of 62.5%

The room was noisy both from outside and from the plumbing - other people's ablutions could clearly be heard, which is unpleasant at the best of times.

Breakfast at 09:00 on a Saturday morning was a mad scrum in the basement and was average at best. This looked like a common problem as there was a table outside the restaurant with juice and croissants labelled "for you, while you wait for your table" - surely an admission of defeat.

Overall - I'll be trying to avoid this hotel in the future unless I am desperate to stay next to Euston.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Jorganmeister
Dear Jorgan Meister,

I am sorry that you were not completely satisfied with your stay, we went through a £ 9 Million refurbishment last year and the entire hotel was re done, we also frequently do preventive refurbishment on the rooms to keep them of a high standard.

If possible could you send me a direct mail with what room number you stayed in and as a matter of urgency I will get our maintenance team to have a look over the room.

We will also review our staffing levels to ensure that we have the best coverage possible at peak times such as breakfast etc.

I hope you would come again and give us the chance to change your opinion on the hotel, if you do come again please let me know.