“Very Poor”
Review of Thistle Euston

Thistle Euston
Ranked #337 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Be careful if booking on Last Minute as you assume you are booking a double but on check in if they are full you may get a twin - so a £25 unexpected need to upgrade to get a double bed in a "superior" room. Misnomer. It is the same standard as budget hotels Premier etc and possibly worse than some others but 50-75% more expensive (1970s metal frame single glazed windows that didn't even close properly). The lobby and bar have had a contemporary makeover which is fine but belies the poor standard otherwise. Room service was very poor - fillet steak (I am not a butcher but I know a bit and no way was that the described cut) with mushrooms (4 thumbnail sized) was very disappointing - also missed off an ordered portion of fresh vegetables which arrived too late to eat and looked in edible in any case. Absolutely not good enough. Read my other reviews of hotels in different parts of the world - I rarely put reviews up and hopefully when I do they are balanced and mostly positive - this was £175 without breakfast very badly invested.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
TW_General_Manager, General Manager at Thistle Euston, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review of your recent stay with us.

I was disappointed to read you had problems with the lastminute room type. I would recommend booking direct on our website thistle.com as we present live availability and guarantee the room you book is the room get. This is not always the case with other suppliers, especially lastminute.

I have also feedback your feedback to our Food & Beverage team regarding your room service so we can review the issues to ensure this sort of situation does not happen going forward.

I would like to thank you once again for the constructive feedback.

I hope you would consider Thistle Euston next time your travels bring you back to London so we can prove to you this is not the normal service we portray.

Thanks

Reviewed 26 February 2014

This was a lovely hotel, literally 5 minutes walk from Euston station, so ideal as we had really easy acsess to the tube. The hotel was lovely and we even got a free upgrade because our room wash't ready. It was definitely worth every penny. The staff were friendly and very accommodating. I even asked for the cocktail menu in the bar, the waitress Weronika informed me that they didn't have a cocktail menu but said she would whip me up a cocktail, she made me a very delicious Pina colada. This is just an example of how accommodating and lovely the staff are.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your recent review of the Thistle Euston Hotel.

I was pleased to read you enjoyed your stay with us. I cant agree more with you Weronika is a super star and a very valued member of my team.

Hope you will be stopping by soon for another Pina Colada!!

Reviewed 25 February 2014

I've stayed at the Thistle Euston many times on business over the last two years (and also occasionally for weekend tourist trips to the Capital) so I believe I'm well qualified to offer an opinion. Having stayed at other hotels in London (when the rate at the Thistle has been too high - no doubt driven by occupancy levels) I can honestly say it is the best value of all I have experienced.

The location near to Euston Station and Underground is ideal. The quality of the accomodation is good. Single rooms are small, but all are comfortable, in particular the larger rooms with King Size beds are excellent. Breakfast is good with a full buffet on offer and the bar meals are good quality and very reasonably priced for a London hotel.

Regular travellers should register for a Thistle Reward card as once you have a Gold Level, they will upgrade you on check-in subject to availability, free of charge - I haven't been refused this once yet. All the staff from the Front Desk through to the Restaraunt and Bar Staff are friendly and helpful - a particular mention to Weronika in the Bar who always has a smile for customers and is one of the hardest working bar staff I have ever seen.

My only concern is if popularity and occupancy levels drive up the nightly rates :-)

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Ian J

Dear Ian J,

Thank you so much for your 5* review of the Thistle Euston Hotel.

I was so pleased to read that we have become your first choice in London hotels.

I was thrilled to be able to share your feedback with the team and especially Weronika.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Thanks again

Reviewed 25 February 2014

I've stayed here before on business and it's typical of a London "business" hotel. The check in was very courteous and professional and the reception staff very welcoming. The bedroom on the 4th floor was not huge but adequate for a single traveller. Bathroom very clean and well stocked.

I ate in the hotel restaurant and discovered that the sample menu in the bedroom is not exactly the same as the current menu offered, but no big deal. Being a lone female traveller I was of course put in the darkest, draughtiest part of the restaurant, with a constant stream of passing diners. I couldn't be moved as I was told the "restaurant is very busy tonight". Not my idea of busy as there were plenty of small tables.

Food was pie, chips and vegetables. Pretentious presentation - chips in a paper bag then in a mini chip basket. I removed the pastry "lid" from the pie dish (not really a pie then) and the filling didn't look very appetising but oh my word, it was delicious.

Breakfast was the normal buffet type with seemingly everything you could want available.

Would I return again? I suppose so as it's near to where I need to be.

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank PearlandDean
TW_General_Manager, General Manager at Thistle Euston, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your constructive review regarding your recent stay with us. I will take these points and discus with the team to ensure improvements are made as it my aim to ensure all our guests feel comfortable and welcomed.

I hope we will get the opportunity to welcome you back to the Thsitle Euston in the very near future.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Super friendly and professional staff - especially the breakfast staff. Everyone keen to help. Requests I had put in prior to arrival (even though I booked late the night before) had been accommodated. Lovely room - great size and super clean. Really great breakfast and super location next to Euston meaning you can leave your bags the next day go off for the day and jump on the train home. Thanks for a lovely stay we will defiantly be back :-)

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for the fantastic 5* review!!

I was really pleased to read you enjoyed your stay.

Hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Thistle Euston Hotel very soon.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

The hotel's location is absolutely strategic as I was there with my friend for 2 days 1 night trip and will be catching a train after that. It is just less than 200m away from the Euston train station (back door) or probably another 5 min extra if come out from the main entrance of Euston. The street that the hotel is on is probably a little bit too quiet to be honest. I would not recommend for a female individual to walk on it alone at night. Still, I love the location of it.

Apart from the location, the room is small, but ok for 2 people. Bed is TINY though. I have been staying in hotels in london, most of it says double bed but I usually get a king size bed, or at least a proper king size duvet. My friend and I are both average in size, but was struggling to sleep comfortably as the bed is considerably small for a double bed hotel room.

For cleanliness, i think the room definitely need to be cleaned properly. I found stains in the toilet sink and bath tub. It was some mucus-like stuff in the sink and the bath tub. Also the water will not run quickly enough when showering. So constantly having water soaking my feet when showering (was not a pleasant feeling though).

Food was average @ brasserie 43? (can't remember the restaurant's name now). However, would not pay for food at this standard though (unless it is really cheap). the customer service was good - the reception and also the restaurant. There is no minibar in the room, so if you are after a beer / a coke, might need to pop down to the restaurant next to the lobby to get it (or train station's M&S / Sainsbury)

Lift is still broken, so if you have bad knee(s) like me ( I injured my knee in sports some time back), might be better to request for G or 1st floor room.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of your stay with us.

I was disappointed to read you did not fully enjoy your stay.

Please let me know next time your in London and need accommodation I would be very eager to restore your faith in our hotel and service.

euston@thistle.co.uk

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Stayed for 3 nights for girlfriends birthday, kirsty contacted me before our stay to see if we needed anything, she sorted a cake and card to welcome us, and a nice room with a huge bed. The hotel is in a great place near trains and tube, no trying to get luggage on and off tube. The rooms and staff are spot on, breakfast great. This is the place to stop in London. Thanks again to kirsty, and the lovely lady in charge of the breakfast room.

Room Tip: If its your birthday tell them.