“Lack of amenities”

Ranked #412 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Hong Kong, China
“Lack of amenities”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I checked in to the hotel and found the pillows provided to be very lumpy and uncomfortable . I phoned housekeeping to request a feather pillow . I was informed by a very rude woman that there were pillows in the room. Yes I can see them ,but they are very uncomfortable and I would like a feather pillow please . No you must use the pillows we have provided "click "

On to general impressions of the room . The mattress is horrible approx 3 in of foam thrown on top of the bed also very uncomfortable . The bathtub has a folding glass door designed to stop the water from flooding the floor. Well it fails miserably it is impossible to have a shower and not put water all over the floor.
The carpets in the room and passageways also are in dire need of cleaning
The location is good but as a hotel dr choice it wouldn't be my first choice

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Brian M
NovotelLondonWest, Guest Relations Manager at Novotel London West, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear Brian,

Thank you for providing us with your detailed feedback regarding your stay at the Novotel London West.

I am sorry to hear you experience with our pillows and mattress was not to your expectations. Our hotel does not provide feather pillows as per Novotel brands’ standards and please accept our apologies for any inconvenience.

I also hope you can appreciate that every guest has different in terms of mattresses. On a future stay, please feel free to contact me directly and I will ensure that all your requirements are taken into consideration.

We truly hope to welcome you back in the future to provide you with a genuine hassle-free stay.

Novotel London West

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Stayed for 3 nights with my husband and two children aged 2 and 4 for sight seeing London break. First impressions very good, modern hotel, nice decor, however our room was a bit dated in comparison and cramped for the four of us with not much storage space. Only two pillows on our bed and no spares in room so asked for two more which were provided. Also only four coat hangers so asked for more which were provided after asking twice. We stayed when the weather was very hot and had to ask for an electric fan in our room as the air conditioning was in-effective. The quality of the breakfast food was very good, great hot and cold buffet however I would recommend getting there by 8.00 / 8.30am as we found some items tended to run out before end of service which was 10.00am. Many of the waiting staff spoke very little English which caused many problems for us as my four year old son has food allergies. This made breakfast time quite stressful. There seemed to be a total lack of communication amongst staff regarding my sons requirements as every morning we had to explain our requirements all over again and even then many staff members didn't understand. Once I asked a waiter if he could wrap my sons ham sandwich in cling film so we could take it out for his lunch and it came back unwrapped and toasted! Another time I asked them to toast 2 slices of his special bread and they toasted the whole loaf! Fortunately we had brought two. There is also a lack of communication between departments demonstrated by the fact that when we emailed the hotel in advance of our stay re our sons allergies we received 3 separate replies from 3 people all giving slightly different responses. I would agree with other comments regarding the extortionate prices for a steak in the restaurant. The local area is ok but not great. The location is good for getting into Central London, just 4 or 5 stops on the Piccadilly Line and you are at Green Park.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
NovotelLondonWest, Restaurants Manager at Novotel London West, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing your stay at the Novotel London West. I was very sorry to hear that your experience did not fully meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

I was surprised and disappointed to read the difficulties you experienced at breakfast service with regards to communicating with our staff which resulted to mistakes with your orders, as we do receive regular positive feedback about the quality of the service the team provides. It is true that some of our employees are not native English speakers and we will take the necessary steps in both training and shift management to ensure this type of situation does not re occur in the future.

With regards to your comments regarding the replenishing of the Buffet, we do experience some days a high number of guests coming for breakfast at the same time. Please accept my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience.

I was sorry to read that you felt our A La Carte pricing for the steaks was expensive. Some of the steaks we serve in the restaurant are Wagyu beef and Wagyu cattle is known for its quality and demands a high price. However we also have a range of 28 days Hereford beef , castlebridge fillet and Aberdeen angus steak at a starting price of £26. I can assure you that all of our pricing is very much in line with the London market and very competitively priced.

I would like to thank you for your positive feedback regarding the quality of the food available on the buffet and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the Novotel London West and provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience.

Kind Regards,

Matthieu Girodet
Restaurants Manager
Paris, France
Reviewed 10 June 2014

This hotel is nothing special really, not in a sought after area (at least not interesting), not of exceptional standing/design, not particularly new.... Just a decent business hotel.
To be charged around GBP200 per night is really pushing it. One of my colleagues that used the restaurant told me that a steak was around the GBP35 mark. Breakfast sells at GBP27 or so. It's just way to expensive for the level of quality offered. Tempted to score this lower than 3 'dots' ...but I'll be kind as it was a really decent place to stay of course.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank dekdroes
NovotelLondonWest, Guest Relations Manager at Novotel London West, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing your stay at the Novotel London West.

I am sorry to hear that your experience did not fully meet your expectations. Our hotel offers a Rosette awarded grill restaurant, the Artisan with a wide selection of prime quality meat.

I would like also to advise you that our breakfast is of £17.5 per adult but should you book it with your bedroom, our Reservations Department would be delighted to tell you about our different packages.

I truly hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

cork
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed in numerous Novotels in the past and was not disappointed with the 4 star quality......unfortunately London West was 3 star at best.
Stayed for 3 nights with my wife and our two daughters under 10. First impressions of hotel are great nice location close to London Underground.
The room was small and not maintained and cleaned properly. T.V. was temperamental (channels froze, TV came on in middle of night and would not turn off without unplugging it) concerns where voiced the next day.
On a good note staff were excellent, breakfast was great, evening meals were of good quality. Ate in a nice relaxed bar, did not eat in restaurant but it did look good, plenty of choice on the menu at reasonable prices.
Only at a push would I stay here again.......

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for telling us about your stay at the Novotel London West.

I am sorry to hear that your experience did not live up to your expectations and for the inconveniences encountered in your bedroom.

However, I am delighted to read your comments about the staff and our Food & Beverage outlets.

On a future stay, please do contact me directly as I would like to ensure that your experience is an enjoyable and comfortable one.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Stayed here two nights before and one night after a Cosmos tour of Europe. Excellent hotel, fantastic breakfast and staff were outstanding. Appreciated it even more so after Europe tour, 100 percent up on the European hotels we stayed at. Restaurant/bar far too expensive for our budget but overall an excellent hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay at the Novotel London West.

It is with great pleasure with we receive your compliments towards our facilities and also our “outstanding” staff. We strive to ensure all our guests a great experience and we are delighted to read your review.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.