“Pleasantly Surprised”

Ranked #426 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Really a 4 1/2. Just before leaving on our trip, I'd read two in a row bad reviews so what a pleasant shock to see a lovely hotel with the best breakfast (included) on our tour. There were 3 of us in a room and I slept on the pull out couch which wasn't bad. The hotel itself was lovely. Wish we'd hit the gift shop when it was open, really unique things. The location was good for pubs, to which my 2 daughters and I were able to walk. Bathroom was good sized and as to the noise factor some mentioned, we were on the 4th floor overlooking an outside area and there was some noise there but not really late noise. All the hotels where we stayed had thin walls, I think you need to expect that in advance. The pictures on Novotel's website do it justice. It was the most amazing breakfast on our entire trip! I even missed one area because I was already quite full. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask to be put on a floor that does not have outdoor seating and also a floor with a tour group, they...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
NovotelLondonWest, Guest Relations Manager at Novotel London West, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay at the Novotel London West.

It is with great pleasure that we receive your compliments about our bedrooms and hotel itself. We have bedrooms facing the outside and inside of the hotel so we are always doing our best to accommodate any guest's preference.

I can confirm that I have forwarded your comment in regards to our breakfast to our Chef and its team and thank you again for such kind words.

We look forward to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

We stayed here for 3 x nights in July, the hotel is very convenient for both buses and the underground, a few minutes walk from both. The lobby and bar area are both attractive, and we found reception check in, etc quick and friendly. Our main 'gripe' with this hotel is the quality of the rooms, unfortunately they really let the hotel down. Ours was set out as a family room, it was very tight for space, but we half expected that, what we didn't expect was the strong smell of moth balls on entry, the stained carpet, and the tired decor. It really is time for a refurbishment!!!!! During our stay we had a slow drip from the inefficient air-con, which on the 3rd night turned into running water!! This happened at around midnight, both children were asleep, I reported to night duty on reception, he offered us towels to place under the leaking air on to soak up the water, and said he would send someone up first thing am to look. Neither myself or my husband really slept as there was a constant dripping, and by morning the floor was very wet ( hence the stained carpet!!!!!) The air con unit is situated above the room exit, the wardrobe and the entrance into the bathroom, so we had fun dodging the trickle of water while getting ready and packing to leave. I contacted reception again as no one came to look at the room and had to persist to get a member of staff there, the woman I saw was very helpful but said she could not authorise a discount/refund for the night but would talk to her manager and have the matter resolved by 4pm, which was a mutual time agreed when we would be returning to collect our luggage. Unfortunately at 4pm the hotel had not resolved the issue and then said they would email me in a day or two. They have done this and offered us some 'Le Club' points, worth about £25!! About enough to buy one breakfast at Novotel!!! On a positive note we must commend the hotel on its excellent breakfast, the quality and choice of food is great, the staff were fast, friendly and efficient. It's such a shame the rooms let the hotel down as this could be great. I wouldn't recommend the hotel, due to the above, but should you stay here, expect a very basic room!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Karen B
NovotelLondonWest, Reception Manager at Novotel London West, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback on your stay with us at Novotel London West.

I am delighted to hear your positive words for your staff and for the breakfast you enjoyed, I will be sure to pass this on to them.

Regarding your comments of the room; as in our personal correspondence, I can only again offer my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that has been caused during your stay.

Kind Regards,

Kerry Talbot
Reception Manager

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Hotel was a little far away from the centre of London.
Rooms were clean but the Hotel is very tired. Staff were pleasant.
Location was a bit far away from the tourist sites. Walls paper thin and a lot of noise when guests come in late at night.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Denise M
NovotelLondonWest, Guest Relations Manager at Novotel London West, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear Denise,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Novotel London West.

I am delighted to read that our staff assisted you during your stay with us. I would like to confirm that our location is 5 minutes’ walk from Hammersmith Station that offers different tube lines and buses going all over London.

In regards to the noise, please accept our apologies for any inconvenience as we strive to ensure that our guests experience a good night’s sleep.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Stayed at this hotel for two nights, 8-10 August 2014 with husband and daughter. Great location for a sightseeing trip. 10 minute walk from Hammersmith Underground and the bus station is just around the corner.

Located in a nice area with local bars and restaurants in the vicinity.

Modern hotel with friendly staff. We were allocated room 4088 on the 4th floor which was ideal for the three of us. Clean and comfortable with modern bathroom, fridge and electronic safe, 2 hairdryers and iron with ironing board.

Excellent breakfast choice both mornings.

Would stay here again and would recommend.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank GW88
NovotelLondonWest, Guest Relations Manager at Novotel London West, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for providing us with a feedback following your family stay at the Novotel London West.

I am delighted to read that you found our location very convenient. In fact, Hammersmith offers four different tube lines and a bus station that allows our guests to discover all the beautiful attractions of London.

Thank you again for your kind words towards your experience with us and we very much look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

This was our first stay at a Novotel Hotel. Upon arrival, I was mightily impressed by the grandeur of the reception. Bedroom and bathroom are both very clean and our stay which was over a course of three days was one of great comfort. The highlight of each day was the scrumptious English breakfast; something I would anticipate with much enthusiasm during our stay there. All the staff were so courteous and polite, whilst being extremely helpful.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank SFCH123

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your stay at the Novotel London West.

I am delighted to read the helpfulness of our Reception team and your appreciation of all our facilities. I will also personally ensure to forward your kind words to our Housekeeping team.

Our English breakfast offers a wide range of hot and cold items and it is with pleasure that we receive your compliments.

We look forward to welcome you back in the near future for another impressive experience.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

I was a solo traveller. The staff made me feel at home and I was there 9 days. They quickly knew my name and if I had any questions about places to go etc they were ready and willing to show me maps and print them out. The room was large and we'll maintained. I would go back there anytime. It was a quick walk to the tube and buses with nice shopping places close to hotel. The bar staff modified drinks to your taste and their coffee barista skills were wonderful.
The only slight letdown was the slow check in and check out services. Other than that a 10/10.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Novotel Hotels
1  Thank Noelani C

Dear Guest,

It is with pleasure that we received your compliments and I truly hope that you enjoyed discovering all beautiful places that London has to offer due to our location.

I will ensure for your kind words to be forwarded to all the staff and we hope to welcome you back in the future for another holiday in your second house at the Novotel London West.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

I think I can understand why this place has lower rates than some of the other hotels in the area: they try to rip you off in the restaurant instead!

I booked this hotel for a business trip, as was surprised at the rate, as it was good for a short notice booking. I have used this hotel before, but not for some years. On arrival, I noticed that the car park was unusually empty considering it was gone 6pm. I was offered the choice of upgrading my room for £30, but said that as long as I had a comfortable bed and decent shower, I was happy. The room was OK, hence the one star rating, as it was one of two good things about this place.

The Artisan Grill lures you in, with images that imply that the menu is cooked on the premises. Due to having several food allergies, I carry a card with details. I gave this to the restaurant, and asked them what I could eat. I was told that there was nothing on the buffet, as my allergies preclude 'convenience' foods (i.e, bought-in, frozen foods). I was offered either steak or fish. The prices of the steaks were steep to say the least. The salmon was the cheapest dish at £20, but this did not include side orders. At £3.00 each, I was offered a choice of baby-leaf salad or a salad consisting of cherry tomatoes and red onion. Settled on boiled pototatoes, as I thought it is impossible to murder boiled potatoes. Well, they proved me wrong. The salmon was good though, but still I think I could have had the whole damn fish for that price. I was asked if I wanted to see the dessert menu, and explained about my allergies. Instead of asking the 'chef' if it was possible to do something else, I was left. I was not even offered a coffee. Eventually, I went to the till and asked for my bill. An offer was made to send a coffee to my room, but quite frankly it was too late. I explained again about my allergies and asked that a check be made that I would be able to eat breakfast.

The following morning, it transpired that no check was made. I was told that just about everything bar the Rice Krispies were off the menu for me. I was offered gluten free bread, but as this is usually made with the very thing to which I am allergic, which was listed on the card I had now given the restaurant staff twice, that was not a brilliant idea. Eventually, a bowl of porridge made with water was produced. So Rice Krispies, some fruit and a bowl of porridge with half a cup of cold coffee cost me £10. Great!

I stay in hotels, on business, around 10 nights per month, every month. This visit reminded me why I have not made a habit of using Novotel.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
6  Thank JoPilsworth
NovotelLondonWest, Restaurant Manager at Novotel London West, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Dear Mrs Pilsworth,

Firstly I would like to thank you for choosing the Novotel London West for your stay; I am truly sorry that the experience you had in our Hotel did not live up to the standards that both you and myself would expect. At Novotel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every guest and your feedback is very important to us.

I have noted your comment about the experience you had in our Restaurant during your evening meal, I would like to assure you that all dishes offered in Artisan Grill are prepared and cooked by our very own chefs which is reflected by our 1 Rosette award. In addition, I can assure you that all of our pricing is very much in line and competitively priced with the London market. It is true that in our Aroma Restaurant which offers a buffet selection, we do offer a limited number of items such as the Sushi and some desserts which are supplied by a reputable external company.

With regards to your allergy requirements, my colleague did indeed suggest to have either a steak or fish from the Artisan Grill menu rather than the buffet as he felt this would best cater for your dietary needs. Please be assured that the Health and Safety of all our guests is our top priority and for this reason on this occasion the buffet selection was not recommended.

I was pleased to read that the Loch Duart Salmon was very good, I was however surprised to read that the boiled potatoes were not to your satisfaction. Unfortunately we were not made aware of this and had we been given the opportunity we would have been more than happy to offer you an alternative. I was also disappointed to see your comments with regards to dessert and coffee service, please accept my apologies for any misunderstanding, I have addressed this shortfall in service with my team in order to avoid any further occurrence.

I was further surprised to read your comments on the choices available to you for breakfast. It is unfortunate that the various options that were suggested to you by my colleague who was aware of your requirements did not meet with your personal taste.

Mrs Pilsworth, we appreciate your feedback and we do hope to have the opportunity in welcoming you back to the Novotel London West so that we can demonstrate the true level of service we pride ourselves for. Please contact me directly prior to your arrival as we would be delighted to ensure we can cater for your specific dietary requirements.

Matthieu Girodet