“Just ok” 3 of 5 bubbles

Dego Restaurant and Winebar
Ranked #9,144 of 22,202 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Italian, Wine Bar
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Fitzrovia
Description: Degò wine bar and restaurant is a new concept of the Italian place in the heart of London, which offers two different situations but united by one main philosophy: the combination of food and wine.The name Degò derives from the words “Osteria (tavern)” and “Degustazione (tasting)”. The “Osteria” became a very popular meeting place where people came during the 1950s to enjoy traditional Italian foods.Degustazione + Osteria = Degosteria = Degò. Since we opened in October 2009, we have acquired a reputation as one of London's best Italian wine bars. Set in a quiet side street just a minute walk from Oxford Circus (Market Place), our concept of an open all-day “Degustation Osteria” (Deg-o’) offers a less formal timeframe in which to enjoy the pleasure of both gastronomic osteria-style dishes and a careful selection of fine wines.We were rated 4 stars for range and value of wine by Decanter magazine, Good Food Guide exceptional wine list award and one of the recommended wine bar in London by Jancis Robinson, the FT's world-renowned wine critic. The bar area with its large windows overlooking the outdoor tables and side street, its modern, detailed, symmetrical design. We can accommodate in high seating upwards of 40 people, with plenty more space to stand. Soft background music and natural lighting create a stylish atmosphere for the enjoyment of a full wine and food menu. Open throughout the day, it serves as an excellent meeting place for a multitude of context, from a quick stop for a glass of wine along with our selection of Italian antipasti, cheeses, “salumi” ,carefully selected small plates and house made pasta.The lounge area downstairs is comfortable and relaxed with its sofa seating and integrated Cocktail bar. Cocktails vary from classics “aperitivo” like Negroni and Americano to house favourite Chelsea Rose (served in a teapot for 2 people) all with that unique Dego’ vision.The lounge area is also available for private hire up to 50 pax seat or 100 pax stand. With a strong commitment to seasonal British ingredients, our Chef’s food philosophy is all about simplicity, balance of colour and bringing out the true flavor of the ingredients, cooked without excessive fuss, and with a modern twist on much-loved classics. From 2011 we also obtained two AA rosettes.The terrace area with a 20-seat at the front of the restaurant is a big hit in the sunshine.Who are we?We are friends from childhood with passion for good wine, and all that's enjoyable around wine: good food, good friends, good conversation.We take particular pride in our selection of 250 bins, and in presenting you with an extensive range of 20 wines by the glass. We also stock a cracking selection of “grower” champagne and sweet wines, beers and spirits. Food is there to make the wines even more enjoyable! Try some Italian cheeses or meats with your choice of wine, or go along with the wine matches of our sommelier.We also hold regular wine tasting to help you find your way around. And if you like our wines, they are all available at take-out prices for home consumption.Quality and provenanceWe think wines should reflect their “terroir”: where the grapes are grown, and who has made the wine. We take great care in selecting our wines, and in keeping the selection by the glass fresh and interesting. Our wine list focuses on small producers, as well as more traditional Italian growers and amazing vintage at extremely affordable prices.We have also a great selection of natural wines free of additives from boutique winemakers that taste simply of their origin. Whether it's an entry-level wine or a Vintage by the glass, we always try to ensure that the wines we show reflect their respective 'terroirs'.Talking of provenance, our beers are brewed in Italy and Yorkshire, and a great selection Grappa from our region Veneto and exceptional premium Gin, Vodka, Whisky and Rum. We take the same care when we choose our food suppliers; we want great food to go with great wines.
“Just ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

Stopped there for a quick glass of wine before heading for dinner. The red organic wine we chose (£5.90 a glass) was nice. We also got a small plate of the cured meats where you get 3 different types (£8). The meats were nice but the bread was not very good.
The place is ok, trying a bit too hard to be stylish if you want my opinion, oh! And the chill-out electronic music really got on my nerves...

• Visited November 2013

London, United Kingdom
“A piece of Italy in London”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

Usually I don't like to write a review but as Italian finally after 7 years in London I've found a place where I can feel like at home!Dego's came highly recommended and I will continue to recommend the restaurant to my friends and family. Service was really friendly, food was outstanding, I had the fettuccine with burrata cheese, my friend had the gnocchi with radicchio and gorgonzola, we both had the T-bone steak for main and an amazing selection of cheeses at the end with a nice bottle of Dolcetto d'Alba from Pira. Can't wait to return even for a glass of wine (again not really easy to find a good italian wine at these prices!). Perfect escape from the hustle bustle .

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank Alex F
UK
“Ok, but nothing special”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013

I had been out all day and met up with my cousin in the Oxford Circus area. We couldn't make up our minds on where to eat, so we just entered the first restaurant we saw, Dego. From first impression I could tell the food was not going to be great because even though the decor was nice and stylish, the layout of the restaurant just gave it 'quick fix restaurant' look. However I tried not to be prejudice and ordered a pasta dish, while my cousin had the lamb. Both meals were slightly above average; notably the pasta dish was a little bit on the bland side in my opinion. Their cocktails on the other hand were better but not necessarily great. Overall, a nice place to drop in for a quick meal if you're in the area and are in desperate need of some food; however it won't be my first choice.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
“Ok-ish Italian”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013 via mobile

I went to Dego with my friends after the recommendation of a Venetian I had met. He had told me that Dego serves the best Spritz in London. By the way the Spritz was average. Huge quantity, but average taste.
I cannot fault the restaurant, everything was ok-ish, but I wasn't wowed. Atmosphere, food and service were just ok.
I got the large portion of Gorgonzola potato gnocchi, but I thought it was too small... It was nice, but couldn't feel the Gorgonzola cheese as there was loads of bitter radicchio which overpowered the other flavours.
I also got the tiramisu, but this was average. A extra point for making it there from scratch, so they used decaf espresso as I had requested.
I thought that it was too expensive.
I won't probably go there again, as I feel (personal opinion always) that there are better italian restaurants in the centre of London.

london
“Nice wine and good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2013

Even though i have been up to this part of London many times before i have only just found this place. Dego's is well worth a visit if you are just looking for somewhere nice to have a meal or / and a good bottle of wine for very reasonable london prices. The staff are very attentive and knowledgeable.

2 Thank LondonJt83