“Good Hotel, Inconsistent Service”
Review of Leicester House

Leicester House
Ranked #63 of 579 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 May 2013

We stayed here for one night on a Saturday for a Birthday Surprise, the hotel is in a really great location for Leicester Square.

When we arrived we were able to check in early (about an hour) which was really good. The receptionist was friendly enough, and checked us in very quickly, as we had pre paid.

The main issue that we had with this hotel is that, when paying £200+ for a one night stay, you expect for the TV to work in the room. This wasn't the case, the receptionist did send someone to have a look, at as they walked into the room, it came on, but the remote control didn't work, so we couldn't change the channel as the TV is built into the wall. Because of this we decided to go out, and ask someone to change the batteries etc while we were out. We came back after about 3 Hours, and they had looked at the TV but the remote didn't work, and they didn't have any spares. They ended up taking one from another room, so I presume leaving them with a non working TV. Because of all this they did give us a free breakfast the next morning, which was ok.

We then decided to have a bottle of wine from the bar, which was a bit of a chore, first of all the barman didn't have any of the wine, but then he found a bottle, then we asked for a receipt and he didn't know how to print one. After 10 mins of waiting he said he would call the manager and bring it up to the room, which he did 10 Minutes later.

The restaurant in the morning was in a bit of mayhem, I had to wait 15 minutes for a glass of apple juice, as the waiter that went to the cellar didn't know where anything was... I would have thought you would have topped up the stock before service, it wasn't busy? Cant really complain as I didn't pay for it after all!

I think the main problem with this hotel is that if I was paying £100, I would be really happy with it, but it definitely didn't meet expectations for a £200+ hotel.

Little tip, if you get put into room 4, it has a disabled access shower, which completely soaks the bathroom, ask for extra towels to mop it up!

Its really obvious at this place that the staff are all new, but I would have though that having a full hotel, and it being a Saturday night there would be an experienced Manager / Owner available for any problems the staff had. This wasn't the case as even the Duty Manager told me he was new.

Room Tip: Room 4, be careful with the shower!!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 April 2013

Great food (a main reason to come here), somewhat design obsessed and superbly located hotel. Having lived in London for 15 years, I rarely actually stayed in a hotel, but this one worked out well - not a place for kids, yet very child friendly when we stayed, including in the restaurant (which had more than its share of journalists and film personalities).

The food is great and the approach to cooking considerably better than most hotels, which you might expect to follow from the owners and their restaurant background. The mini-bar was astoundingly eclectic - easily the best I've encountered!

The building itself is a bit cramped and the dedication to Alvar Aalto et al in the design is nice at first but a bit oppressively fanatical after a while. Likewise, the cost is very high and builds up with the inevitable high quality room service! We used a 2-4-1 deal via Mr & Mrs Smith to get the top suite, but it was still pricey.

All in all, great for a couple wanting to have good food and drink and stay somewhere central and quirky. Not so great for kids, those on a tighter budget or wanting a quiet features-driven hotel. I would go back to stay, but only with another deal. I would go back to the restaurant separately too - the chips, wine and meat were outstanding.

Room Tip: The suite at the top is great - restricted glimpses of London (including parliament unexpectedly) an...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 February 2013

In the middle of the hustle & bustle of Soho and the awful crowds that are attracted by Leicester Square, the dining room at St John's hotel is positively peaceful. The food is brilliant - many small platters that can either be shared or sampled 2 or 3 a meal. I had langoustines, razor clams and a delicious rare cheese with amazing home made oat cakes while my client went for various vegetable dishes. While the restaurant in St John's street is famous for nose to tail eating, here (and in St John Bread & Wine on Commercial Street) it is not just offal and meat. Efficient service with a smile, and a very reasonable bill. A great place for people who work in the West End / SW to meet clients or relationships from the City half way.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank EIDH
Reviewed 19 January 2013

Got a late deal here and always wanted to stay. The location is great, it is right next to Chinatown/Leicester Square. It was pretty quiet, staff were nice, check in was straight forward. That's where the good news ends though. The decor is minimalist, but not in a sophisticated or classic way, It feels more like a hospital or inside of a chiller, complete with green floor to mop clean! We had room 4, which was pretty roomy, but had a bathroom for the disabled. This made it feel even more like a hospital ward! It didn't help that it was cold, even with the 'air conditioning' pumped up to 25 degrees all night. I'm not convinced it worked at all. Back to the good points - nice robes, towels and slippers. No tea or coffee facilities in the room, which for me is completely unheard of in a nice UK/London hotel. We did mention all of this to the lady on reception, who took it on board and said they had only taken over ownership last week. Fair enough, but I'd have to wait a few months before going back.........and I'd certainly want to see the room before committing.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Graham P
Reviewed 14 December 2012

conveniently located yes. underwhelming in the extreme? yes. i booked a table for 6 about 5 weeks in advance only to arrive and be given the table by the door and coat hangers (people reaching over you to get their coats....). not a huge problem in itself but every time someone comes in /out of the hotel the draft into the restaurant and across our table and food was unbearable. we had to keep changing places to keep warm. a small heater had been put by the restaurant door (acknowledging the problem) but they need to do more than this to shield the restaurant from the cold. The service was slightly smug and also clumsy - spilling / breaking two glasses during the dinner and narrowly missing tipping over a very nice bottle of wine we'd brought with us. The food? well, I'm a fan of St John restaurant but this is less offal and pretty uninteresting really. Bland was the overall experience. Surprisingly the hake and shrimp dish was the best thing we sampled. I cannot believe my trusted foodie friend recommend it to me and i am stunned to hear it has won a Michelin star. It is absolutely not up to that standard. I may possibly give it another go one day. the prices are reasonable at least.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank harrycole100
Reviewed 13 December 2012

We stayed for one night only. Room was too small, with no desk or chair(s) to sit on. The bathroom smelt of stale cigarettes and the green floor was far too bright…in fact this was the first room we have stayed in with a bright green floor; the toilet holder handle came off in my hand and finally I had to go to the bar in order to replace two dirty glasses.

This was an expensive hotel room booked through lastminute.com secret hotels. We have booked several hotels rooms using the secret hotels service and have been very pleased with the rooms we’ve stayed in however this was the first room in wish we felt let down.

We did complain to the receptionist when we checked out and he was very apologetic about the smell and glasses; he gave us a complimentary umbrella as it was raining outside.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank BlackChilliPepper
Reviewed 3 December 2012

Stayed for 2 nights in November and felt very let down. I travel to London most months for business and stay in many hotels. This did not fit my needs and was not the cheapest of rooms either! There was no desk and no where to sit other than the bed, the room was pokey with only just enough room to walk around the bed. It was a good job I was travelling alone as there just wouldn’t have been room for a partner. There was a kitchen extractor fan outside of my window (which was completely frosted out so no natural light) which droned all night (ear plugs available from reception). There was no hot water in the hand basin and the water came out of the ceiling as well as the shower rose when taking a shower. Safe in room was broken, apparently this is a known problem. I was hoping for a boutique experience but got nothing of the sort, which is a shame as I really wanted to like this place and move away from the big name hotels. There are much better hotels for the money.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business