“Style over Substance!!”

Ranked #75 of 573 London B&B and Inns
Salford, UK
“Style over Substance!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

If I’m being perfectly honest I found this hotel a little bit bonkers! I booked one of their ‘post supper rooms’ on Laterooms on the very last minute at a lower price than is usually charged and I use Tripadvisor a lot so only think it is right to give an honest account myself. I’ll separate my review into both positives and negatives. First with the positives:

+ Perfect location for Leicester Square and Tube station and sight seeing; surrounded by lots of restaurants; lovely bed with good quality bed linen; rooms bright and airy; good quality toiletries.

Now for the negatives!

- No tea and coffee making facilities; no iron or ironing board; slow wi-fi; no desk space (only a small round table which serves as a desk and area for your personal effects; to close the blind on the clear glass window in the shower which looks out directly on to the busy street, I had to actually clamber into the bath. I have uploaded a photo so you can get an idea of what I mean.

I really do feel that in concentrating on the quirky they have forgotten the basics in this hotel and had they have included of these they would have quite lovely rooms. So maybe instead of making sure that the mini bar is stocked with Bollinger or that an umbrella is strategically placed on the wall a nice complimentary tea/coffee tray would be good or even an iron and ironing board!

This is definitely not a business hotel but that is probably my fault for not checking this before booking. When travelling for business, in the morning I like to have coffee and do some work before I head off out for the day but here I was up and out and camped in the nearest Starbucks by 7.30 a.m. Also if you was staying here with a friend you would probably end up either sitting in the toilet or leaving the room whilst each other showered as the bath/shower/sink is literally in the bedroom with a clear glass shower screen! I honestly felt like I was sleeping in a bathroom with a bed in it. Really sorry guys I don’t think I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Lisa2053

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

This hotel is very central and is just minutes from all the places you need to be when visiting London... Covent Garden, Trafalgar Square and the West End theatres. The rooms are very stylish and clean - really liked the comforting touch of two big fluffy robes and an umbrella hanging on the hooks! Breakfast was the best I've ever had in a central London hotel at a reasonable price. Everything cooked to order - not just buffet-style like all the big chains. All the staff we met from the Receptionists to the restaurant staff were extremely polite and friendly. The only negative is the noise level in the street, which carried on until the early hours despite our being there midweek.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013 via mobile

We booked a small double room, prior a month of our stay. We've reached the hotel after a long and exhausting jounery to find out that we were upgraded to a superior room which felt comforting.
The room was clean, spacious and bright. Although it was facing the loud alley, and despite the fact that the hotel is close to Leicester Square, the room was quiet enough for a good night sleep.
Would definitely book again!

• Stayed July 2013
hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2013

Just back today from a two night stay at this lovely hotel and as a first time guest I wasn't sure what to expect. Yes the rooms looked lovely in the photos but you never know.

Well, I can safely say we will be returning. From the friendly welcome on Saturday when we dropped our bags off we were impressed. We were 3 hours before check-in but they looked after our bags so we could go out and they were in the room when we arrived back.

The rooms are lovely. A great size and the bath in the room in a real quirky touch and you don't feel like you are boxed into a small space. The restaurant catered to my dietary needs and the service was excellent. We would definitely recommend this hotel and wouldn't hesitate to return.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2013

Have stayed here before when under previous ownership and it is much the same other than the fact that the bar area has been significantly improved and the service is now a lot better.
So on the positive side this is a great location in central London and very reasonably priced (for central London). Rooms have everything you need and beds are really comfortable but if you are not keen on your shower being in your bedroom then that will be an issue (can get a bit steamy). Check in was very efficient and although i only ate breakfast and not dinner, the food was good and staff seemed friendly. I stayed here on a friday and saturday night (i had previously only stayed early midweek) and to be honest the noise level from outside is unbearable. Despite being a good location the hotel is surrounded by about 20 night clubs and as a result there is every noise from horns to screams until around 5 a.m.
As a result I will not stay again at a weekend although to be fair i am sure this was not an issue when i stayed midweek (and i was in exactly the same room).
So for anyone on a clubbing weekend in London, this is 5* for you.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Northampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2013

We stayed here for one night on a Saturday for a Birthday Surprise, the hotel is in a really great location for Leicester Square.

When we arrived we were able to check in early (about an hour) which was really good. The receptionist was friendly enough, and checked us in very quickly, as we had pre paid.

The main issue that we had with this hotel is that, when paying £200+ for a one night stay, you expect for the TV to work in the room. This wasn't the case, the receptionist did send someone to have a look, at as they walked into the room, it came on, but the remote control didn't work, so we couldn't change the channel as the TV is built into the wall. Because of this we decided to go out, and ask someone to change the batteries etc while we were out. We came back after about 3 Hours, and they had looked at the TV but the remote didn't work, and they didn't have any spares. They ended up taking one from another room, so I presume leaving them with a non working TV. Because of all this they did give us a free breakfast the next morning, which was ok.

We then decided to have a bottle of wine from the bar, which was a bit of a chore, first of all the barman didn't have any of the wine, but then he found a bottle, then we asked for a receipt and he didn't know how to print one. After 10 mins of waiting he said he would call the manager and bring it up to the room, which he did 10 Minutes later.

The restaurant in the morning was in a bit of mayhem, I had to wait 15 minutes for a glass of apple juice, as the waiter that went to the cellar didn't know where anything was... I would have thought you would have topped up the stock before service, it wasn't busy? Cant really complain as I didn't pay for it after all!

I think the main problem with this hotel is that if I was paying £100, I would be really happy with it, but it definitely didn't meet expectations for a £200+ hotel.

Little tip, if you get put into room 4, it has a disabled access shower, which completely soaks the bathroom, ask for extra towels to mop it up!

Its really obvious at this place that the staff are all new, but I would have though that having a full hotel, and it being a Saturday night there would be an experienced Manager / Owner available for any problems the staff had. This wasn't the case as even the Duty Manager told me he was new.

Room Tip: Room 4, be careful with the shower!!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2013

Great food (a main reason to come here), somewhat design obsessed and superbly located hotel. Having lived in London for 15 years, I rarely actually stayed in a hotel, but this one worked out well - not a place for kids, yet very child friendly when we stayed, including in the restaurant (which had more than its share of journalists and film personalities).

The food is great and the approach to cooking considerably better than most hotels, which you might expect to follow from the owners and their restaurant background. The mini-bar was astoundingly eclectic - easily the best I've encountered!

The building itself is a bit cramped and the dedication to Alvar Aalto et al in the design is nice at first but a bit oppressively fanatical after a while. Likewise, the cost is very high and builds up with the inevitable high quality room service! We used a 2-4-1 deal via Mr & Mrs Smith to get the top suite, but it was still pricey.

All in all, great for a couple wanting to have good food and drink and stay somewhere central and quirky. Not so great for kids, those on a tighter budget or wanting a quiet features-driven hotel. I would go back to stay, but only with another deal. I would go back to the restaurant separately too - the chips, wine and meat were outstanding.

Room Tip: The suite at the top is great - restricted glimpses of London (including parliament unexpectedly) an...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family