“Such a wonderful place!”
Review of Keats House

Keats House
Ranked #352 of 1,695 things to do in London
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Discover the house where Romantic poet John Keats wrote his best-loved poems. This beautiful Georgian villa is where Keats found inspiration, friendship and love. Now a museum and literary centre, the house brings to life the memory and legacy of Keats through its tranquil gardens and a lively programme of tours and special events.
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Absolutely incredible! Being in the same space where Keats wrote all of his great odes is amazing. I've loved Keats for years, and visiting the place where he fell in love with Fanny was surreal. This house is quaint and lovely, has a lot of historical information, and is well worth the visit.

Reviewed 17 May 2013

When you feel like having a nice walk away from the many tourists and crowded places of London, then Hampstead is the perfect place. I found Hampstead a very pleasant place, so not finding Keats' house right away was ok because I had a lovely walk. It is a calm place and there's still much to see.
On arriving at Keats' house I was pleasantly surprised to see a sign saying "Entrance by the back door"...in my country when one may enter by the back door, it means you are a friend. I had a friendly welcome. I paid 6 or 7 pounds and got a ticket valid for a whole year...so I can visit again whenever I want within the year.
I did a guided tour because I believe you learn more from experts than on your own. Guides always know to tell wonderful details, often not mentioned in paper guides. I loved the guided tour because our guide spoke with such a passion, it doesn't leave anyone unmoved! After the guided tour I stayed a while to have a talk with the guide and to exchange ideas and thoughts about Keats. The guide was pleased, NOT at all annoyed that I robbed him of his time. He also quoted several of Keats' poems, very impressive, but most of all very moving.
You can visit the house in one hour, but I spent 4 hours in the house and it was my pleasure!
So on a lovely sunny day I'd definitely advise you to visit Keats' house if you love poetry and exchanging thoughts!

Thank you Keats' house! And my guide! Loved it!

3  Thank Stephanie C
Reviewed 9 April 2013

This is a journey into Hampstead for those who love the poetry. The house is just a nice, but much altered, Regency home, with modest memorabilia. Its allure is in the story it represents, well told on the guided tour that I did, which adds much to the value of the trip.

1  Thank PeterDS
Reviewed 17 March 2013

Dear me, what a dreary property! This has so much potential, which, unfortunately, has not been taken advantage of. All the rooms in this house are very sparsely furnished and decorated. Very little of the furniture is original, and everything is all very bare-bones. The provision of historic information is also quite poor: laminated A4 information sheets in each room, offering dull accounts of generic features of the room and the house's history. Highlights are few and far between, the most notable being the plastic food models in the basement kitchen, and visible cardboard storage boxes under the bed in an upstairs bedroom. I don't recommend visiting this place - your £5 can be better spent, perhaps on a copy of Keat's excellent poems.

Reviewed 25 July 2012

I spent a lovely hour and a half here last Sunday with my girlfriend when we travelled north from the city to Hampstead. The house itself is about a 5 or 10 minute walk from the underground 'Hampstead' station and is situated in a small very well maintained garden. it was not overly busy but it was a beautiful day and there was a steady stream of people coming and going, even just to sit in the garden. The entrance is around the back and the price for entry and the tour is just £5 which also entitles you to return at any time during the year, great value. My girlfriend bought me a beautiful hardback edition of 'the Poetical works of John Keats' which was amazing and a lovely thought and it allowed me to go and sit on a bench in the garden in the sunshine and read Ode to a Nightingale quietly to myself.
We had a tour then which lasted around 45-50 minutes and given by a very knowledgable gentleman who obviously loved his subject. he took us through the house and the history was very interesting. I had also spent time at Keats apartment near the Spanish Steps in Rome about 2 years ago which is a sister museum and also well worth a visit.

2  Thank billaustin