“Nice Museum”

Keats House
Ranked #366 of 1,608 things to do in London
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Discover the house where Romantic poet John Keats wrote his best-loved poems. This beautiful Georgian villa is where Keats found inspiration, friendship and love. Now a museum and literary centre, the house brings to life the memory and legacy of Keats through its tranquil gardens and a lively programme of tours and special events.
London, United Kingdom
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Nice Museum”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I am a huge fan of Keats Poetry and made him come to life (somewhat) as a brother, a son, a friend and a man in love with a woman.

Highlights: Stunning surroundings and garden (Hampstead is a real gem in it's own right). A few exhibits of items belonging to Keats and his fiancée - Fanny. Most notably, her engagement ring, a hand written letter by Keats and his original death mask. The drawing room where he would spend hours writing - was really memorable as well. The architecture and historical characteristics of the house itself were stunning.

Lowlights: the staff were not that helpful. I didn't know about any guided tours. So I ventured around the house myself. It was pretty quiet and there were no staff around to help. There was very little descriptive guidance on what the artefacts were, what actually belonged to Keats, and on some artefacts there was just no indication of what it was or why it was in the house - which was disappointing.

would suggest doing a tour when visiting, based on other reviews, it seems like a good idea.

Visited July 2014

• Finnish first
Cambridge, Massachusetts
91 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 114 helpful votes
“Only if you are a Keats fan”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We enjoyed this tour, but much of it was lost on us because we didn't know much about Keats' life. He did not live in the house for long and, even when he did, he shared it with others. It was originally two houses when he lived there and is now one, so you have to use one's imagination when touring. They have floor plans of the old house to help you. It was a pleasant visit, but not a highlight for us. We had been to Hampstead Heath, so tacked this on as we made our way back to the tube station in Belsize Park.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank packedlite
Winnipeg, Canada
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Well worth the trip”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

It involves making a few tube changes to get to Hampstead Heath and Keats House, but it is well worth it! Away from the hustle and bustle of central London, it is a little gem. We were entranced by the house, excellent guided tour and lovely gardens.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank 50Col
Mount Holly, North Carolina
205 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 184 helpful votes
“Excellent Museum!”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

The Keats House is fun for English lovers and literary fanatics. There is a beautiful garden and the house is in great shape and very historic. There are a lot of information sheets to read and there are a remarkable number of floors to view. Some of his best poems were written here yet he became sick and died in Italy leaving this house with an inspiring atmosphere with sadness interwoven. Worth the price of admission but if you are not interested in poetry and Keats then it is probably not for you. Children may become bored in a hurry. I found it fascinating and worth a visit but it was part of my literary London experience. Beautiful home and friendly folks provide information. There are a fair amount of stairs and the house is old but in great shape.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Piseu
Ghent, Belgium
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“The perfect birthday”
Reviewed 24 February 2014

This was my second visit to Keats House. The first time was last year in April. So this is also my second review about it on Tripadvisor.
In my first review I wrote that it is really worth a visit and now about a year later I cannot but advise the same. The first time I visited Keats House I had a fantastic dedicated guide and now I hoped to share the experience with my dad. It was beyond all expectations that the same guide was there on the exact day and hour we were there. I wasn't sure he'd remember me, but he did and we were welcomed in a very friendly manner.
We had arrived too late to enjoy a guided tour, but we were invited to a poetry reading that was about to start. It was a reading of Christina Rossetti's poems by volunteers. With a touch of humor and a lot of passion they knew exactly how to fascinate the audience. If you happen to be in Keats House when a literary event is about to take place, I strongly suggest to stay and enjoy it!
Afterwards I was introduced to another guide and the four of us had a long conversation about Keats, Shakespeare and Dickens and London. If you want to meet some people with the same passion for literature and to have some good conversations about it, Keats House is the place to be!
I was shown the things that had changed since the last time I was there. They were proud to show and explain me some new items and my dad got a full guided tour with all the anecdotes and extra information, which make the guided tour so special.

It was my 30th birthday that day and I cannot imagine a better way to spend it.
A lot of thanks to the passionate guides Clive and Paul!!! Thank you for a wonderful afternoon!!

Visited February 2014