“Great hotel in a fabulous location”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London -Tower of London
Ranked #260 of 1,076 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 11 May 2011

We stayed in the hotel on a spring break deal mid week for the purpose of having two days in London purely to sightsee. We got a great deal which included dinner and breakfast with a twin room as I was travelling with my father. The hotel is very well designed and is clearly very new. The service at check in was very good and we were happy with our room. The rooftop bar area was amazing and the views were second to none. We were very happy with the location as it was right next to the Tower of London and the river and also right next to the tube. The breakfast and dinner included in the deal was very of a very good standard. It is clearly a hotel dominated by business men and women during the week but this didn't bother us, although the bar and restaurant on the roof was very busy with 'staff' do's and business meetings. The only downsides for me were the lack of wireless internet in the room (I did complain and they brought me a lead to plug into the wall) and the fact that the twin beds were right next to each other so we had to re arrange the room to make it a twin room. Would definitely recommend this hotel to other travellers.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank malibuo2

Reviewed 9 May 2011

What can one ask for other than a fine hotel with all the trimmings and an excellent nights sleep? The Mint Hotel near the Tower of London ticks all the above boxes and a few more besides. Read on...

I took my parents to London for the weekend and as a treat wanted a good hotel rather than a B & B. I didn't just get good - I got fantastic! The hotel itself is superbly situated a short walking distance from the Tower Hill Tubestation which is why I chose it. 3-5 mins and you're through the door! If you are weary after a day exploring this is a real boon. First impressions from the outside of the hotel are; well; impressive! Clean & tidy (no litter) with a fresh, modern appearance. The check-in was very quick, efficent and the desk staff were genuinely polite and helpful - not impersonal or 'forced' which you sometimes find, as if they are reading it straight from a manual.

A quick trip in the lift later and it was out onto the floor where our rooms were situated. First thing I noticed were how uncluttered and tidy the hallways were and also how quiet it was. No squeaky floors or creaky doors! Clean soft carpet underfoot and a nice little touch was an ice dispensing machine tucked into an alcove. Handy to chill drinks.

The room(s) were card entry and worked brilliantly. Heavy doors which help with soundproofing led into a most surprisingly spacious area. Nothing seemed 'jammed' in at all. These rooms have a very modern, apartment-like feel to them with up-to-date furnishings rather than a quaint 'olde-worlde' style. It reminds you more of a smart office with a bed thrown in for good measure! Everything you'd expect to be present as standard were: Tea & Coffee facilites/Fridge & Minibar/Safe/Phone/TV etc. Now; bearing in mind these were standard rooms; I also had an iron & ironing board, full controllable air conditioning and a multimedia iMAC computer with keyboard & mouse which also doubles as the TV with HD channels available. This was a fully-functioning computer with internet access if you require. A superb addition to an already feature-packed room.

What else? Springy soft carpet. Nice floor to ceiling windows for plenty of light, but also nice thick blackout curtains to ensure a good nights sleep. The bed was a joy to sleep in. I know it's a personal subject matter but I found it to be nice and firm (but not hard) and the pillows (4) were very comfortable. A lovely heavy-gauge duvet that you could snuggle in to make for an extremely happy night's sleep. Soundproofing is excellent and I heard no more all night other than the gentle hum from the air-con which you can of course switch off. All the linen were crisp whites and spotlessly clean. A commendation to the cleaning staff is definitely due.

The bathroom was just the same. I expected the room to fall here (as so many do) but it was roomy, well lit and well stocked with all the necessary. Plenty of every towel you could want and dressing gowns to boot. I've never seen such an uber-clean bathroom (well, maybe my own!) with absolutely no trace of a previous occupant. Not so much as a hair. A fabulous power-shower with a glass door that actually closed properly! Another unheard of miracle!

Whilst we didn't dine in the evening at the hotel (so I can't comment) if it is anything like the breakfast then it must be a pleasure. We just had the continental breakfast, which a lot of people always complain about as being a bit sparse on either variety and quantity (or both!) At the Mint; however; we found this to be far from the truth. There were so many things to choose from: Cereals, museli, toppings, croissants etc, as well as the usual toast/jams and tea/coffee/chocolate. The tableware (as with the rooms) was spotlessly clean and the service was fast and polite. Also, just walked in, were shown a table and served immediately. Didn't have to queue at all but that could've just been down to timing? We left the breakfast room feeling unhurried, refreshed and ready for another day pounding the pavements.

Checking out was as simple and efficent as checking in and a real plus for us was we didn't even have to ask if we could leave our cases to collect later in the day - they asked us! I'll just point out before summarising that my parents room was just as fantastic as mine but with twin beds rather than my single - which also happened to be a queen sized bed I hasten to add. Another extra that I didn't expect.

All in all, value for money wise, I cannot recommend this hotel enough. These guys really seem to go out of their way to make you feel welcome and dare I say, special? Nothing seemed fake and they genuinely want to see that you have a pleasant stay. The level of hospitality is top-notch and the whole ambience of the hotel and staff make you feel at home. Of course, I do live in the real world and realise that this is no £20 a night B & B but I've heard and read stories of people spending four or five times this and having an appalling time. Therefore I feel the Mint Hotel was a bargain in my eyes when you weigh up what you get for your money, which is a first class stay which leaves you feeling in first class condition when you leave.

I really hope my review makes for a very standard story and that many people will experience the same fine stay that we did. If it helps you to decide to stay at the Mint; and you enjoy it; then my work is done!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank LamboUK48
Amy_tregidgo, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London -Tower of London, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2011

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for sharing this wonderful review of our hotel, I trust your parents had similarly enjoyed their time away. I'm particularly pleased the hotel's staff had made such a positive impression on you, in offering a service that is natural and welcoming. I do hope you will think of Mint again when you are next planning a special occasion. Our website is continually updated with details of special promotions, which I hope will be useful to you in the future.

Patrick O'Connell

Reviewed 9 May 2011

Booked this for a night away from our three lovely boys. We had a great time! Hotel has a fantastic position, it is clean and stylish (if a little bland) and we experienced great service from check-in onwards. Really impressed by the living wall garden running down the walls - seen from corridors.Well-thought out use of views by the lifts.
We got a good deal online and then were upgraded when my husband's birthday was mentioned (to a club room) Quite straightforward accomodation but nice view of tower bridge and skyline as on 10th floor. The roof terrace bar is fantastic and cocktails superb.
Don't indulge too much, though, as the breakfast is the best I've had - extensive continental with cooked-to-order English plus lots of other options. £21 on menu for breakfast, so make sure it is included with your room cost.
We really enjoyed a 'London Square Mile tour' the next day - easy walk from hotel.

Room Tip: 10th floor was great with the view.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank poppyart
Reviewed 7 May 2011

FANTASTIC!! I booked this hotel for my fellas 40th birthday and having stayed in London a few times now I have to say that this was by far the best, even beating news years eve 2010. I had spoke to the hotel (Amanda) before travelling down on the train from Manchester as I wanted to make sure that the room would be available for an early check in as it was easter and wanted to make the most of our time there, not only did she make sure our room was ready but they gave us a very welcomed room upgrade and bottle of champagne readily chilled in our room. What a fantastic birthday my fella and me had at a very very reasonable price, We will definatley be staying in this hotel whenever we go to London again. Thanks to all at the mint hotel especially Amanda

3  Thank Andreamw
Reviewed 3 May 2011

My boyfriend and i stayed here again for 2 nights. Last time we visited end of January there was a mix up with our breakfast and so they offered us discount next time we stayed. Even though this was over the bankholiday period, they kindly still offered us discount, plus a free upgrade. This gave us extra benefits that you wouldnt normally get without charge. For example newspaper, bottle of wine, chocolates, 10% off food and drinks in the hotel. We were just as pleased with the hotel this time as we were last. We stayed in room 1018 which is on the 10th floor and an end room, so gives you extra space which has a table and chair. Lovely room. The breakfast was really good this time, got looked after very well by the staff. The tube station 2 mins from the hotel was closed all weekend for maintenance, also as it was bank holiday alot of lines were closed or had delays on the tube. Bank station though is about 10 mins walk from the hotel and this one was open luckily. So just in case you have a problems with the Tower Hill tube, walk to Bank. Enjoyable stay and hope to visit again in the future.

3  Thank GILL02091984
Reviewed 3 May 2011

We visited this hotel Easter weekend, great base hotel within easy reach of tube, fab breakfast and service second to none but beware the sky lounge - 2 small bottles of peroni and 2 small glasses of red wine cost us £34.00, the same drinks in the bar downstairs cost £20.00 which seems a ridiculous amount of money just to see the view, however on the whole good value for money

1  Thank mank1958
Reviewed 2 May 2011

I cannot fault this hotel. The staff were professional, friendly, helpful and polite. We had a wonderful stay for The Royal Wedding and as I laid overnight on the cold, hard surface of The Mall it took a lot of steely resolve not to go back to the hotel. The rooms are perfect and kept immaculately clean. The breakfast was delicious with a huge selection of top quality products. The only problem is that at the moment, Tower Hill Tube Station closes at the weekend and you have to walk to Bank Tube Station as Monument is also closed. .

4  Thank Yorkshirelady20