“Stylish hotel with exceptional staff”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London -Tower of London
Ranked #258 of 1,076 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 3 June 2011

This is an excellent new hotel, very well designed and stylish (although the rooms may be a little 'minimal' for some tastes). The staff were exceptional and by far the most helpful I've experienced in any hotel. The hotel is well located for sightseeing and business and the view from the bar at the top of the hotel is well worth seeing. The area isn't the best for restaurants/bars at the weekend though -- go further west if you want to be closer to the night-life.

Overall, highly recommended.

6  Thank RichW100

Reviewed 2 June 2011

On our arrival, there seemed to be a problem as the lady couldn't allocate us our room and had to call her duty manager. We were tired as it had been a long day and a long journey. The manager gave us a complimentary drink from the bar whilst a spring of behind the scenes activity ensued. Eventually we were given the room we had booked. The room was a suite and we had a suite style room rate to match. However, I can only describe the service we received would not look out of place at "Fawlty Towers". We only had two complete days in which we explored the interests and culture of London, getting back to the hotel at 5 ish, in order to relax. However, relax we couldn't! Housekeeping were still in the room and could not understand English language. I had to finish making the bed which only partially had been made! Then on one evening we had room service bring us a meal but we could not enjoy it as every few minutes we seemed to get a knock on the door, somebody to replace the lightbulb, somebody to finish servicing the room and somebody to check that the room had been serviced and room service with an item which had been left off the original order. I did have to complain to a duty manager who apologised and discounted our room service bill and also arranged a free bottle of wine, However, when you are paying hundreds of pounds a night you should expect near perfection..........perhaps! On a positive note the location and the suite itself were quite amazing.

3  Thank smokeyrolo
Reviewed 31 May 2011

I stayed in this hotel with two friends and we had a fabulous time. We arrived early and were allowed to check straight in with no fuss. Rooms were lovely, modern, clean, all the extras you need. Beds extremely comfortable which was important as one of my friends is 7 months pregnant. Sky lounge is amazing if a tad expensive. Breakfast was delicious and we left our bags after check out which made a huge difference. All staff were very helpful and we thoroughly enjoyed our staff and will be returning again. Thank you so much to all the staff at the Mint.

• Stayed: May 2011
3  Thank viccazwilk
Reviewed 27 May 2011

Actually I had stayed at the Mint for 3 days the week before this most recent stay as I was on business on my own; during this stay there was no hot water one morning so as compensation they gave me an upgrade to a suite as I was coming the following week with my wife and 6 year old daughter ....
Arrived on a Thursday night around 9 pm and check-in was smooth even with a "newbie" behind the desk. They remembered they had promised to upgrade me to a suite which was a good start! Just as we were going up to our room coming out of the lifts were a bunch of drunken, foul-mouthed ladies who had obviously enjoyed themselves at the Sky Lounge too much and wanted to let off a fire extinguisher; it didn't really worry me but I think my daughter was a little scared and it is just not a good advert for the hotel. Anyway I will come back to the SkyLounge later in my review ....
Room was clean, spacious and functional but not a luxury type suite,and, I love the IMac's in both rooms of the suite; incidentally they have these in all the rooms.
Went down to breakfast in the morning and although a little pricey for the Continental breakfast on offer, the Full English breakfast gives you a great choice.
Things turned bad on Saturday when we wanted to have lunch as I was joined by my daughter-in-law and husband; we thought we would try the SkyLounge as it was a nice sunny day and have a relaxing al fresco meal! I was shocked, however, when we were refused entry becuase apparently due to health & safety and the occasional boisterous clientele they do not allow children (age not specified to me).
No amount of trying to reason with the lady at reception made any difference so we disappointingly traipsed off to St. Katherine's Dock.
I can understand the health & safety aspect in the evening for young children especially if you are outside on the terrace, but, not at lunch or during daylight hours. I know it has become a popular place for city workers to come and drink here so I have a feeling that the "lager lout" element has taken over!
This really soured the rest of our stay which went fine and I did complain about the SkyLounge episode in writing. To be fair I did receive a personal call from the hotel after my stay to explain the SkyLounge incident and at least this gave me confidence that they are reviewing the current policy etc for entry to the SkyLounge.
From my perspective what differentiates this hotel from the others around the City is facilities like the SkyLounge so it just makes no sense to me that it is "out of bounds" for families with young kids.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank EnglishmaninJavea
Reviewed 25 May 2011

Superb, stylish, modern and clean hotel. Brilliant location, great breakfast although service could be a little better. Very efficient and helpful staff and loads of them. All in all an excellent experience. I would highly recommend it.

4  Thank Robinlong
Reviewed 24 May 2011

Spent a great deal of time trying to find reasonably priced accommodation in London that was any good. For some reason it was difficult to find for this weekend. Eventually found a deal at late rooms with Mint for £129 (double room) including full english breakfast. We spent 2 nights there.

The hotel is very spick and span. The staff were all very efficient and eager to help. Breakfast is cooked to order and the feb my husband had each morning was fine. Unfortunately, the kedgeree I ordered was terrible - the chef did a very strange presentation of a small piece of dried up smoked haddock with a ball of rice alongside it, accompanied by a strong curry sauce in a ramekin dish. Awful. However, the smoked salmon and scrambled eggs the next morning were good.

The room was quite large, bed very comfy and so, so quiet at night (rarity in London). Choice of furniture was disappointing - looked like Ikea flat packs but it was generally ok. The quiet nights were much appreciated.

Good value for London.

Minutes from the tube station (Tower Hill). Would stay there again.

Room Tip: asked for a quiet room but not far from the lifts.