“Mint Hotel - London Bridge”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London -Tower of London
Ranked #238 of 1,068 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Manama, Bahrain
“Mint Hotel - London Bridge”
Reviewed 7 June 2011

Staff cannot do enough gor you. Hotel spotless. Fantastic location. Just LOVE IT

• Stayed June 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (895)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Polruan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2011

Having stayed in the Westminster Mint Hotel, back when it was City Inn, I had previous experience of the chain being good value for money, and as a four star hotel, even moreso. Therefore I immediately chose them when booking a weekend away with my husband for our wedding anniversary.

The Summer Special deal on offer when I booked was £129 for a Friday night, including a full English Breakfast and a voucher was also provided for a jug of Pimms or two glasses of champagne in the bar on the top floor (wonderful views of Tower of London and Tower Bridge). The rooms all have IMac PC's with satellite TV and sports channels. Room very nice with White Company products.

The only small grumble was the very, very long queue for breakfast - we waited for a good 30 mins in the hallway to be seated, although when checking out we were told the queue was due to several coach parties being present. Nonetheless, I'd recommend getting down earlier than 9.30 to prevent being caught!

When ordering I felt our waitress didn't explain the menu well enough for me to grasp that we needed to order specific items from the Full English breakfast menu rather than it coming all together (as the menu seemed to suggest) and my vegetarian sausage resembled the bubble and squeak "sausage" that everyone else had (?). Had I been paying the £21 per person normally charged, I would not have felt it represented good value, but as it was included in the room price we overlooked the value aspect.

We loved the fact the hotel was in walking distance of London Bridge and walked back from our meal at the OXO Tower also. The staff were very helpful and the bed incredibly comfy. We will, without a doubt, visit again!

Final tip - book via Hotels.com, but more importantly go via Quidco to Hotels.com as the cashback is 12% currently. Even better value!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lovebugette
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2011

This is an excellent new hotel, very well designed and stylish (although the rooms may be a little 'minimal' for some tastes). The staff were exceptional and by far the most helpful I've experienced in any hotel. The hotel is well located for sightseeing and business and the view from the bar at the top of the hotel is well worth seeing. The area isn't the best for restaurants/bars at the weekend though -- go further west if you want to be closer to the night-life.

Overall, highly recommended.

6 Thank RichW100
United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2011

On our arrival, there seemed to be a problem as the lady couldn't allocate us our room and had to call her duty manager. We were tired as it had been a long day and a long journey. The manager gave us a complimentary drink from the bar whilst a spring of behind the scenes activity ensued. Eventually we were given the room we had booked. The room was a suite and we had a suite style room rate to match. However, I can only describe the service we received would not look out of place at "Fawlty Towers". We only had two complete days in which we explored the interests and culture of London, getting back to the hotel at 5 ish, in order to relax. However, relax we couldn't! Housekeeping were still in the room and could not understand English language. I had to finish making the bed which only partially had been made! Then on one evening we had room service bring us a meal but we could not enjoy it as every few minutes we seemed to get a knock on the door, somebody to replace the lightbulb, somebody to finish servicing the room and somebody to check that the room had been serviced and room service with an item which had been left off the original order. I did have to complain to a duty manager who apologised and discounted our room service bill and also arranged a free bottle of wine, However, when you are paying hundreds of pounds a night you should expect near perfection..........perhaps! On a positive note the location and the suite itself were quite amazing.

3 Thank smokeyrolo
Wakefield
Reviewed 31 May 2011

I stayed in this hotel with two friends and we had a fabulous time. We arrived early and were allowed to check straight in with no fuss. Rooms were lovely, modern, clean, all the extras you need. Beds extremely comfortable which was important as one of my friends is 7 months pregnant. Sky lounge is amazing if a tad expensive. Breakfast was delicious and we left our bags after check out which made a huge difference. All staff were very helpful and we thoroughly enjoyed our staff and will be returning again. Thank you so much to all the staff at the Mint.

• Stayed May 2011
3 Thank viccazwilk
Javea, Spain
Reviewed 27 May 2011

Actually I had stayed at the Mint for 3 days the week before this most recent stay as I was on business on my own; during this stay there was no hot water one morning so as compensation they gave me an upgrade to a suite as I was coming the following week with my wife and 6 year old daughter ....
Arrived on a Thursday night around 9 pm and check-in was smooth even with a "newbie" behind the desk. They remembered they had promised to upgrade me to a suite which was a good start! Just as we were going up to our room coming out of the lifts were a bunch of drunken, foul-mouthed ladies who had obviously enjoyed themselves at the Sky Lounge too much and wanted to let off a fire extinguisher; it didn't really worry me but I think my daughter was a little scared and it is just not a good advert for the hotel. Anyway I will come back to the SkyLounge later in my review ....
Room was clean, spacious and functional but not a luxury type suite,and, I love the IMac's in both rooms of the suite; incidentally they have these in all the rooms.
Went down to breakfast in the morning and although a little pricey for the Continental breakfast on offer, the Full English breakfast gives you a great choice.
Things turned bad on Saturday when we wanted to have lunch as I was joined by my daughter-in-law and husband; we thought we would try the SkyLounge as it was a nice sunny day and have a relaxing al fresco meal! I was shocked, however, when we were refused entry becuase apparently due to health & safety and the occasional boisterous clientele they do not allow children (age not specified to me).
No amount of trying to reason with the lady at reception made any difference so we disappointingly traipsed off to St. Katherine's Dock.
I can understand the health & safety aspect in the evening for young children especially if you are outside on the terrace, but, not at lunch or during daylight hours. I know it has become a popular place for city workers to come and drink here so I have a feeling that the "lager lout" element has taken over!
This really soured the rest of our stay which went fine and I did complain about the SkyLounge episode in writing. To be fair I did receive a personal call from the hotel after my stay to explain the SkyLounge incident and at least this gave me confidence that they are reviewing the current policy etc for entry to the SkyLounge.
From my perspective what differentiates this hotel from the others around the City is facilities like the SkyLounge so it just makes no sense to me that it is "out of bounds" for families with young kids.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank EnglishmaninJavea
Chorley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2011

Superb, stylish, modern and clean hotel. Brilliant location, great breakfast although service could be a little better. Very efficient and helpful staff and loads of them. All in all an excellent experience. I would highly recommend it.

4 Thank Robinlong