“Lianne Le Haves”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London -Tower of London
Ranked #263 of 1,081 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I don’t do London much having lived about 20 miles away from the smoke for 20 odd years... but when I do it’s a Travelodge, Ibis or Hilton and we are either off to a gig or the theatre. This hotel was easy to find from Tower Hill tube and I took the advice of other reviewers and paid extra for an executive room although to be honest it wasn’t that executive.

You do get the executive perks such as complimentary canapés and juice between 6.30 & 8.00 I believe but that wasn’t much good to me as I was off to the west end @ 5 and when we got back @ 11 the beer tap was switched off. You also get to have your breakfast in the lounge which is on the ground floor.....saves mixing with the hoi polloi I suppose but we decided to join the scrum for breakfast like everyone else.

Don’t get me wrong this is a well run hotel with good clean rooms, polite staff, it’s just a bit big I suppose..............but I do love their sausages though!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
AmyTregidgo, Guest Relations Executive at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London -Tower of London, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Dear 'Alexdyer',

Thank you for choosing to stay at the DoubleTree Tower of London for your trip to London, however I'm saddened to hear you had not thought booking an Executive room had particularly enhanced your stay and I apologise for any disappointment you had felt.

We had recently revised our operating hours for evening drinks & canapés in response to some of our guest's feedback and whilst this appears to have been a welcomed change, this is something we will continue to monitor. We do appreciate any comments we are given and please be assured your feedback will be taken on board.

I do hope there will be a chance to welcome you back, and please let us know if we can be of any assistance in the meantime.

Kindest regards
Amy

Write a ReviewReviews (6,172)

Reviewed 21 February 2014

I confess, I'm a repeat visitor to the Double Tree Hilton at Tower Hill. As a born & bred Londoner, I still think the view from the Skylounge bar on the 12th floor is one of the best in the city, and I've yet to find a better value breakfast buffet!

For business, tourism or just an overnight stop, the hotel is in a great location, a 3 minute walk from Tower Bridge, The Tower of London and St Katherine's Wharf. Ideal for the tube & DLR, it's an easy commute down to ExCeL if you're in London for a trade show or exhibition too.

Rooms are fine, though the shower & wardrobe sizes vary from room to room sometimes. Good, helpful front-desk staff & concierge service in my experience at all times.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Col777

Dear 'Col777'

Thanks for the amazing review! It is fantastic to hear that we have continued to be your favourite place to stay in London, thank you, and I'm delighted you have been able to make full use of the Skylounge. We're very proud of it.

Do let us know if ever you need our assistance when booking your stays, and we will take your comments on board regarding our showers and wardrobe space. We do receive many fantastic comments regarding the power & quality of our showers, however it is always important that we can be given details of what our guest’s observations have been, especially from somebody like yourself who has stayed with us several times, so thank you for taking the time to do this.

Once again if ever we can be of any help please let us know!

Reviewed 20 February 2014

I booked this instead of the Apex nearby as it was a better rate. Our room was nice, modern with a great shower. We had a problem with the aircon but as we had a window we switched it off and left this open. I did not mention it until checking out where upon we were offered complimentary drinks for our inconvenience. The sky lounge on the 12th floor has a great view if a little expensive. the only drawback was the breakfast. On Sunday morning it was exceptionally busy, the hot buffet was not hot and the food was luke warm. unless you timed it when new food was brought out, Monday morning not so busy but the same thing. The hot dishes they keep the food in is not an effective system. The choice for breakfast was good, shame about the buffet. I will definately stay here again, maybe go out for a cheaper hotter breakfast though. the location is fantastic, minutes from the Tower hill undergound tube and we walked to the Shard for lunch. We took the river boat to dinner in Canary Wharf which took less than 10 mins.

Room Tip: we were in 853 which had a window, not all rooms have this if you like to air your room. quiet enoug...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
AmyTregidgo, Guest Relations Executive at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London -Tower of London, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Thanks so much for choosing to stay at the DoubleTree Tower of London instead of your usual choice, and it is good to see that whilst you did experience an issue with your rooms air conditioning, our team ensured you could be compensated in some way, and I hope this may mean we can welcome you back to our hotel in the future. I do sincerely apologise you had been disappointed by the temperature of items on our breakfast buffet and this is something both our Hotel Manager and Food & Beverage Manager are looking into.

We truly appreciate you sharing your feedback with us and we hope to see you again soon.

All the very best

Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

For some - this stay was top notch
Excellent included buffet breakfast - and the roof top bar just stunning
And the executive lounge a lovely touch
My favourite city hotel and very convenient even for the west end by tube on the circle
All the staff are very friendly and efficient and the warm cookie on reception a tasty treat !

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear 'BruceHunter'

Thank you for the great review! We always love to hear when our guests have enjoyed receiving their DoubleTree signature cookie (we quite like them too!), and I'm pleased you had been impressed by the view from our Skylounge and facilities on offer in the Executive lounge. It's a shame you weren't so happy with the mattress in your room, we're sorry if this had caused you a disturbed night's sleep as so many of our guests comment on how wonderful their sleep has been, however your feedback is always greatly appreciated.

We look forward to being of service to you again in the near future,

Reviewed 20 February 2014

Had a good stay at this hotel. Staff very friendly and easy check in / out system. Staff always willing to answer any queries we had during our stay. Nothing was a problem to them. Hotel is spotless throughout. Good clean rooms - although i felt our executive style room was maybe a bit small but it didn't put us off. Minutes from the nearest tube station which definitely helps. Its near to Fenchurch station but don't be put off by that. There was no train noise .

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Dear 'Kevin W'

Thank you for your review, I'm thrilled to see both your arrival and departure experience had been efficient, and staff were helpful & welcoming. I'm sorry you had felt your room had been a bit on the small side, however thank you for saying this didn't negatively impact your enjoyment of this trip and I hope you had taken full advantage of our Executive lounge as part of the features of this room category. Do come and see us again soon and in the meantime please let us know if there is anything we can assist you with.

Thanks again for the great comments!

Reviewed 19 February 2014

This hotel is close to Tower hill underground and Fenchurch St Station . Very welcoming staff rooms are fine but none have baths We were in a king double but still no bath , The hotel is tucked away in Pepys St which is a real plus point as it is very quiet in the rooms ,unlike many London Hotels. Great views from the Sky Lounge bar on the 12th floor but you certainly have to pay for the privilege, drinks are very expensive and service is average 5 mins to get a beer and a Whisky and Ginger. cost £18.95 and the bar was not very busy for a Thursday evening. The breakfast is also expensive , Didn't try it went to café next door much better price for a good breakfast.

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your comments on trip advisor and we apologise you had been disappointed at not having a bath in your room. We do offer seperate baths in our Suites and I'm sorry if you had not been aware of this before arriving at the hotel. Thank you for choosing to visit the Skylounge during this stay, however our apologies if you had felt the service had been slow. This will be shared with the Skylounge team, and I hope our prices would not deter you from coming again, as these are in line with other similar venues in the City, that offer views and outdoor seating.

I hope we can welcome you back and 'wow' you next time around, and please let us know how our team can assist you when you are making your arrangements.

Have a fantastic weekend,

Reviewed 19 February 2014

Everything about the room was great - comfortable bed, clean bathroom, ironing board, computer etc. The Skylounge was good fun on Saturday night, and bar staff were very pleasant and efficient. Only downside was that due to no stairs, waiting 5 minutes for lifts every time you want to move floors was frustrating.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Dear 'Nicola C'

Thank you for sharing your feedback from this recent stay. I'm really pleased you could not find any fault with your room nor your evening in the Skylounge in terms of service as well as the ambience, it's certainly a key attraction for our hotel for many of our guests and local visitors!

I'm terribly sorry you had noticed you needed to wait for a lift for a few minutes, and this is something we will be taking on board. If ever we are made aware of an issue with our lifts (which has not been the case recently), we do act on this quickly and ask for an engineer to attend the hotel. Again this hasn't been the case for some time, but we monitor this on a continuous basis as per our normal operating procedures.

Do let us know if ever we can be of any help with your future stays!