DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London -Tower of London
GreenLeadersGold level
Somerset, United Kingdom
“Lovely!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed here for my 19th birthday for two nights in February.

We were really happy with the location and found staff to be extremely friendly and polite on all occasions. We were given warm cookies on arrival and they gave us an extra one each the following day- so nice!

We had lunch at the sky lounge which we really enjoyed and felt it wasn't too bad on prices.

Our room was actually quite small and I wouldn't have wanted to stay there for another night. The rooms were clean and tidy and comfortable, just small.

The breakfasts selection is amazing, although I had an upset stomach due to breakfast on the first day, which resulted in me throwing up in oxford street! The following day I avoided the full English foods and stuck with fruit and pancakes and felt fine.

We really enjoyed our stay and would stay again!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (864)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Harrogate
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Hotel was beautiful and modern. Staff was very professional. Worth a trip up to the sky bar for cocktails with a wonderful view of the Tower of London. Great amenities with one of the most comfortable beds I've slept in. Breakfast was well cooked and offered lots of options.

Stayed July 2014
Wiltshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

All very good no complaints. Well worth booking an exective room (if it's on a deal) as the complimentary exective lounge is a plus. View from Skylounge amazing we were still there after midnight. Exellent Raymond Blanc on Trinity Square

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

1 Thank victheskier
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

We stayed at the Hotel over the weekend, great location - literally a block from the Tower of London tube, and very accommodating staff. I would like to give the Rooftop Restaurant 5 stars for lunch, the service was impeccable, the view incredible, and the chef was amazing. I have a food allergy, and had enlisted the waitresses help in selecting the appropriate food. Since I had a limited selection, I was asked what I would choose if I could pick anything on the menu, and the chef prepared it specially, and included a individually prepared salad, with the list of ingredients. I have never had such service, it was unexpected and I am very grateful. The hotel is very clean, the rooms are average size for London and quite serviceable. The breakfast at the hotel is very good, either self-service breakfast bar or you may order items from the wait staff. I liked that the area is calm over the weekend (it is the financial district of London, so it is busiest during the week), but the hotel rooftop bar is still open and vibrant. I wanted to give this property 5 stars, due to the service, comfort, and cleanliness. I would stay here again. I gave it a four star since most rooms have no view, and it just misses the five star mark for the price.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the Gherkin. There is construction on the opposite side, which has temporarily ob...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

Stayed for two nights recently with my partner, choosing an Executive Suite. Initial impression was very good especially with the delicious freshly-baked cookies on arrival.

Room was very small for the price paid, especially considering it was an Executive Suite, there also didn't seem to be any added extra's. Room was connected to another room by an unlockable door, which was pretty disappointing and unnerving.

We stayed at the Hilton (Canary Wharf) prior to our stay here and were blown away with what a fantastic experience it had been, it really had lived up to its expectation and highly-regarded name, especially with our delight at the Executive Lounge that blew away our expectations.

The Executive Lounge, however was very disappointing in comparison. Small, cramped, and with very little on offer for refreshments. There were two trays of small snacks on offer (both meat-based snacks, no vegetarian snacks on offer), bread, a jar of cookies, beer, soft drinks, hot drinks machine and wine. To some this may sound pretty decent, but in comparison to the Executive Lounge at the Hilton in Canary Wharf it really was poor and disappointing.

On both mornings we chose to sit in the main restaurant area to have our breakfast, as the choices of breakfast was fantastic compared to the Executive Lounge which solely served a Continental Breakfast, making our Executive Lounge privilege even more useless as we chose not to entertain it. I must add that the staff in the main restaurant were very helpful and attentive.

The SkyLounge, which was advertised as the highlight of the hotel, was hit-and-miss. The views were impressive with a view of the Tower of London and London Bridge - on the left balcony, however the right balcony had no view to speak of unless you enjoy admiring the architecture of corporate buildings. The customer service was also hit-and-miss at the SkyLounge, the bartender who serve me (Albert) was very nice and impressive with his cocktail-making skills as he made our drinks.

I attempted to buy a Cocktail pitcher from the Mexican bar and was greeted with an unhelpful and quite frankly a strange bar worker who said she had finished work an hour ago but would make me a drink for an extra fee for her time, a bit of a strange proposal but I didn't think much of it. I myself don't drink much alcohol, if any, and asked if she had a menu for what Cocktails were on offer. She said she didn't have a Cocktail menu, I explained I rarely drink alcohol so wouldn't know what ingredients I would like in a Cocktail, so she replied that she was the 'Ingredients List', not sure if she was being rude, sarcastic or if it was a creepy attempt at flirting I made a quick exit.

Later on in the night we tried to order some food from a waiter, who said that they didn't serve food out on the balcony, so we didn't order anything as we were mellowed out and relaxed on the sofa's. Two hours later the same waiter brings out a tray of food to an elderly couple sitting right next to us! So all-in-all the service at the SkyLounge was pretty unhelpful and disappointing.

To conclude this review I will sum up that the price we paid was expensive, the service hit-and-miss, the Executive Lounge was a complete disappointment, and I highly doubt we'll be returning. The Canary Wharf Hilton in comparison does the Hilton name justice.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mr_Morrissey14
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

Stayed here as was watching the World Cup Final in the near by Bavarian Beerhouse! As a Hitlon member, I did not hesitate to book this hotel in Tower Hill as it was the nearest and by far the best to my evening location - plus as a member the extras are legendary. Hotel is right next to Tower Hill station, so great transport links and easy to find. Check in was a breeze, with special area for members so was done very quickly. The room was on a members only floor and was delightful for a solo traveler - big bed, en-suite toilet with extras, sound proof room, full room facilities and free wi-fi. I slept like a baby! Hotel has full spa facilities as well, with huge downstairs reception area and large opens for breakfast, lunch and dinner - but the winner? The Sky Lounge bar on the roof top! Stunning views across London, with table service and live music....bliss.....great for all types of travelers, except those on a budget, but a must for any hilton honors member

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

Nice hotel and staff and rooms, although they were a little average if anything and on a par to a Park Inn that I stayed at recently. Was really disappointed by going to the rooftop bar (partly why I booked this hotel), to find it frequented mainly by non-hotel guests and the music so loud that you could barely hear the barman to place an order - not that there was any space on either of the nights I was there. Would be nice if one of the attractions of the hotel for guests was actually able to be utilised by guests. But the Bavarian Bar around the corner was much more accommodating!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple