“A smile goes a long way...in this mixed bag.”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London -Tower of London
Ranked #230 of 1,063 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Cornwall
“A smile goes a long way...in this mixed bag.”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We came up to London for a special treat and booked a hotel above our usual cheap and cheerful, but were disappointed in the size and appointments of the very bland room we had paid nearly £300 per night for. There were not even two comfortable chairs and the wardrobe was minute! However having expressed our disappointment, we were politely and speedily upgraded- two floors higher (more sky) but exactly the same size and fitments- the extra was admission to the Executive Lounge for drinks, snacks etc at no charge and free robes which surely ought to be available to everyone in any room these days. On the plus side, the bed was extremely comfortable, the air conditioning quiet and effective, and the room very quiet with no external noise, the shower was superb, and the location for us was perfect, while breakfast was excellent so the hotel is to be congratulated on getting right the basic bed and breakfast concept.. The Sky bar staff appear to be a surly bunch, rather preoccupied with themselves and most reception staff found it hard to smile a friendly greeting.
A very mixed bag then and the most easily remedied problem is - train the staff to smile at guests, and all else will appear better.

Room Tip: Don't be persuaded to part with extra money for an upgrade to de luxe or executive, all rooms ar...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jane H
AmyTregidgo, Guest Relations Executive at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London -Tower of London, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear 'dunheved'

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding how we can improve, and I completely agree that a friendly smile can go a long way. I sincerely apologise you had felt some of our team members in the hotel could have made more of an effort in this regard, this is something we will be taking on board immediately. Naturally this is a real concern & we will want to ensure none of our future guests go away with a similar feeling.

If there is anything further you would like to discuss please do let me know,

Kindest regards
Amy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (874)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel is ideally situated just a few moments walk from Tower Hill tube, Tower Gateway and convenient for Cannon Street, Monument and Blackfriars.

The experience on arrival was not ideal. The reception desk is chaotic with nowhere to queue properly as the main walkway crossed through and there is seating very close by.
As a Hilton Honors member I waited by that desk which actually worked against me as others got served first. Seems like an anti-benefit!
Although there was a record of my booking there was no record of payment. So I ended up having to give them my card details to block out the room rate +£50 for extras.
Although they eventually found the record of payment this money will not be released back into my account for 10 working days which is not very helpful!
The receptionist was very pleasant but didn't give any useful information about breakfast times, lift location, exec lounge etc. I had to pop down and ask about this later as the info in my room was also lacking. As a result I missed the complimentary drinks and nibbles in the lounge which was a shame. Although I did get given a free cookie(!). They were also helpful at arranging a spare key for my husband who was arriving separately so that was good.

The hotel lobby is nice looking and modern and there is a large bar area and several choices of restaurant. There is also a rooftop bar on the 12th Floor.
As I was out for dinner elsewhere I didn't get the chance to test out the full facilities.

The room was spacious and peaceful. With good high speed free wifi, a safe, iron and ironing board, fridge, hair dryer, Apple TV and work area.
The layout meant that a lot of space was wasted. It was a large room but with a tiny bathroom and a standard double size bed. They probably could've made more of the space by including a comfy seating area maybe?
Apparently the room was an upgrade but I'm not sure on what basis. There were bathrobes and two small bottles of complimentary water but otherwise I couldn't tell anything that made it better than any other room. The furniture was on the cheap side. And there was a mix of complimentary miniature toiletries and the shower and hand gel dispensers that are fixed to the wall.
I can't really tell if this hotel is trying to be swanky or budget. It's an odd and confusing mix.

That said I got a good nights sleep and that's really what it's all about.
And the location was great.

I would consider going back again in the future.

Stayed July 2014
AmyTregidgo, Guest Relations Executive at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London -Tower of London, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear 'Emma V'

Thank you for giving us an honest summary of your stay here, I'm very sorry you had come away feeling somewhat despondent over whether you would return or not. Please may I ask you to contact me when you see an opportunity to return to London and I would be delighted to assist in arranging a nice room (with the exception of our suites, all of our rooms are of a very similar size, however we can look at the location of your room & what this looks out onto).

Additionally we'll arrange some treats from our kitchen to be delivered as a welcome amenity and your first round of drinks in Skylounge to be complimentary (for you and 1 other).

I hope we are able to welcome you back and in the meantime if you would like to discuss any area of your stay further please let me know.

All the best
London
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I used this hotel as a base for Saturday night out, working in the area I know it well and can vouch very much for its location. The hotel's public areas are very airy, well presented and give you a feel of the quality hotel it is. The staff are very pleasant and polite and check in and out was a breeze (take note a certain so called luxury hotel very nearby!).

The room itself was smallish but big enough for a night or two, very clean as was the bathroom, and the sink basin was very large and incredibly stylish. Everything was just so and oozed a modern stylish quality.

My only gripe was the Sky Lounge, now this is an amazing bar, very stylish, superb view etc etc however if you want a draft beer they only serve half pints and charge you £5 for the pleasure! At the same time of the day 4pm-7pm you can get the same beer but a pint - and still sit outside - for just £3!

Having worked in the city for over 20 years and despite being taken advantage of by greedy bar owners many a time, I can now safely say I have found the hugest rip off in this area by miles and miles, PURE GREED Hilton - feel ashamed!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank PaulT73
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Tiny rooms, the air conditioning was not working, the bill had lots of additional spend against it that I had not authorised, breakfast was poor for a hilton hotel. the location is good and most of the staff were nice, but I won't be staying there again, definitely never again for £265! I'd probably compare this to a nice Premier Inn - from the size and design of the standard rooms.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

1 Thank Roadsta
AmyTregidgo, Guest Relations Executive at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London -Tower of London, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear 'Roadsta'

I'm so sorry there had been numerous issues with your stay, & that you were disappointed by the design and features of your guest room. If possible I would like to ask you to contact me so I can understand what had happened and ensure our teams can be made aware of how we need to make improvements. All of our guest rooms are of the same design I'm afraid, (contemporary), with our Suites offering additional living space and larger bathrooms with separate bathtub.

I hope you may be able to reconsider returning and once again I would be extremely grateful if you can contact me when you get a moment.

Kind regards,
England
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I have stayed here before when it was the Mint hotel but it's now even better. Considering there were plenty of guests, our room was silent. The hotel is fresh and clean and it's so lovely in the Sky Bar. Well done to the management team for the excellent staff and welcoming ambience.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Florida
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We were very pleased with our accommodations as well as the outstanding staff & service at this hotel. We stayed for 3 nights while touring the city. Excellent location for the hop on/off bus. The view of Tower Bridge is a gorgeous sight from the sky bar. For Hilton club members, there is a lounge that provides drinks & afternoon snacks. I would definitely stay here again for my next travels to London.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Very poor wifi gatewY that was throttled back to the point it was near useless. Might otherwise be ok but in this day and age connectivity is everything and on that score this hotel is a zero. Otherwise the hotel is reminiscent of the typical US three star hotel experience except that this one is located in central London. Value for money is extremely poor.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Simon S
Dear 'Simon S',

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We appreciate that WiFi, even when offered as a free service such as in our hotel, is now seen as an essential supply for any guest that chooses to stay and is of value to the guest experience. We are sorry that this did not meet your expectations during your stay.

Of course receiving feedback such as yours is very valuable and it ensures that we are on the forefront of guest expectations in this area. We are at this stage today upgrading the WiFi provision throughout the hotel with regards to connectivity and in due course bandwidth. I am sorry that you did not have an opportunity to take advantage of this upgraded experience during your recent stay.

I hope we can welcome you back soon,