“Not all bad, but too many problems”

Ranked #474 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I chose this hotel principally because of its position, 5 minutes walk from my two reasons for being in London. Had I read the previous reviews I might not have done. Having said that it was better than I would have been lead to expect.

I was allocated a 4th floor room at the front of the building. With temperatures in the high 20's and an attic room just under the roof the heat was extreme; there was no air conditioning. Although the hotel cannot be held responsible for the weather, these top floor rooms are in urgent need of air conditioning. A request at reception for the maid to leave the windows open during the day was ignored.

The shower/toilet area was minute! I've had larger on ships! However the more important problem was the inadequate water supply to the shower. On my last morning little more than a dribble.

The buffet style breakfast however was excellent in both quality and quantity.

The bar lounge area was large and comfortable though the service at the bar was poor. One barman appeared to think that Jack Daniels was a form of brandy! On another occasion it became impossible to buy wine by the glass - stocks run out!

The reception staff were rather off-hand in their attitude, certainly not welcoming.

Overall a rather poor experience.

Room Tip: Avoid 4th floor rooms especially in hot weather and be aware that the lift does not go to this floor...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Giselle122, Manager at Best Western Swiss Cottage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank for your review of our hotel.

I would like to apologize for the fact that your room was warm, unfortunately we do not have air conditioning however have fans available on request.

I would like to thank you for your feedback and would like to assure you that all comments received from our guests, positive or not, are used constructively to improve the quality of service that we offer.

Reviewed 4 July 2013

We stayed here for six nights from June 16 to June 22, and selected this hotel based on location and price, which for London is quite reasonable.

It is a stones throw from Swiss Cottage tube, which we used to travel back to Heathrow - cost 5.5 pounds each, versus 50 pounds for a minicab and 80 pounds for a taxi - huge savings.

There are lots of little shops and restaurants ( very reasonable pricing) within 5 minutes of the hotel.

The breakfast was included ( lots of continental type items - plus a full hot breakfast made to order - sausages, bacon, eggs, grilled tomatoes, baked beans, mushrooms. It kept us going all day until we stoppede for dinner.

The downside... well tiny rooms, tiny single beds - if you are 6-3 and big like me then you will not sleep well. The street is residential and we did not hear a lot of noise outside. No air conditioning or fans.

Every step you take in this hotel makes a noise - creaking floorboards everwhere. The smallest elevator - one person capacity only.

The internet service in the lobby is pathetic. Hit and miss whether it works or not.

Overall, great central location just a few minutes tube ride to the West End, but uncomfortable enough that we would not come back to this hotel.

5  Thank rmcda1
Giselle122, Manager at Best Western Swiss Cottage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of our hotel.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed aspects of the hotel ie. breakfast and our location, however disappointed to read some of your other comments where we didn't quite satisfy your needs. Please rest assured that we take our guest comments very seriously to continually improve the quality of service that we offer.

I hope that you change your mind with regards to staying with us in the future.

Reviewed 29 June 2013

I booked 7 nights for my parents last week and their overall comment was very positive. I was surprised to see how spacious their room (#202) was with a comfortable super-king bed and plenty of storage in the large wardrobe. The hotel location close to Swiss Cottage on the Jubilee or Finchley Road station on the Metropolitan is excellent, in a quiet and nice neighbourhood. The hotel is very clean and the breakfast, although not outstanding, offered everything one can expect for a 3* hotel. The bathroom seemed reasonably new, with a large shower. The room was in a good condition, bright and clean, with the only down point in my opinion is that it looks a bit old-fashioned mainly because of the pictures on the wall. The staff was friendly and helpful. The price was reasonable for this location and what was offered. I would recommend this hotel with no hesitation.

Room Tip: room 202 is very spacious and bright
1  Thank Lovertoom

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your comments about our hotel following your parents stay with us.

I was pleased to read that they enjoyed their stay with us and hope that they choose us again for any future accommodation.

Reviewed 24 June 2013

This small hotel is located in a quiet residential neighborhood, near a college campus and a very short walk to the Swiss Cottage tube stop on the Jubilee line - a great location for those who don't want the noise and rush of a downtown London location, but still convenient to everything. As a woman traveling alone, I felt safe here.

I had a double as a single for 99 pounds Sunday and 109 pounds Monday - Thursday. The room was comfortable, but the shower was small. They have a desktop pc as well as wifi. I didn't have breakfast - this was the end of a 3 week tour and I didn't need more food. Plenty of neighborhood-style shopping on Finchley Street - banks, groceries, restaurants, pubs. Several buses go to the Swiss Cottage stop which are nice for a change from the tube in the evening.

Booking on line was confusing - prepaid non-refundable discounted prices vs refundable, dramatically different prices for different days. From frustration, I had my travel agent book the room and feel I got a fair overall price for a location I like in London.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room if that's what you want.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Lee18
Giselle122, Manager at Best Western Swiss Cottage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you felt safe in the surrounding area.

I apologize if you found making your reservation confusing, we have a pre-paid rate and a Best Available Rate available - with the pre-paid rate offering a 10% discount on the Best Available Rat and our rates also go up and down according to availability.

Many thanks again for your review and we hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 24 June 2013

My boyfriend and I have stayed here twice now and both times we have been impressed. It's nicer than some other hotels we've stayed at in London and it's cheaper too. The location is really convenient, right next to Swiss Cottage tube station so you can get into central London in 15 minutes. The room has been very clean and quiet both times we've stayed and the breakfast is good quality. Definitely recommended.

1  Thank Nina A

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review following your stay with us.

I was pleased to read that you have enjoyed both of your stays with us and do hope that you will choose us again for a future stay.

Thank you again for your positive comments.

Reviewed 11 June 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for work as it looked close to the tube station which it was. No restaurant at the hotel but loads if choice in the Main Street and not a concern ad a single female walking out in the evening. My room was 216 and was spacious and quiet last night. Breakfast was ok but the cleaners kept walking through dragging sacks of washing which was a bit odd

• Stayed: June 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments following your stay with us.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and the surrounding area of the hotel and hope that you will return for a future stay.

Reviewed 1 June 2013

Bearing in mind how close it is to central London and Lord's, the hotel is good value. It is a little tired but fundamentally clean and does the job - especially if you pay £66 for a single room which I think is the lowest price.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank PaulNCKent
Giselle122, Manager at Best Western Swiss Cottage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of our hotel.

I was pleased to read that you found the hotel met your needs and hope that you will return for a future stay.