“Jubilee line gem”

Ranked #508 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Edmonton, Canada
“Jubilee line gem”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We were here for a week in mid-November and REALLY appreciated being able to dash from the subway to the hotel in bad weather. In that very short span of real estate you pass a sushi place, two theatres, and a daily outdoor market. Being on the Jubilee line, the combination of value and location is hard to beat in London (very easy to get to all touristy attractions). In addition, there is a laundromat less than a ten minute walk up Eaton Street.

Our room and bathroom were ridiculously spacious for London, we had an entire wall of windows that opened fully, and were happy with the cleaning services. While it was never an issue for us, we did hear people in other rooms talking at normal conversational levels. Also, the bed was quite hard; again, this wasn't an issue for us but it you are used to soft bedding then you might be disappointed.

We never made use of the in-house breakfast but found a Pret A Manger (a favourite of ours for breakfast) at the next subway station south (St. John's Wood), where there are also other shops and a few restaurants.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Giselle122, Manager at Best Western Swiss Cottage Hotel, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review of our hotel.

I was pleased to read your positive comments and do hope that you will return for a future stay.

Best Western Swiss Cottage Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Hebrew first
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

Booked into this hotel at short notice as my normal hotel in the area was fully booked. Oh dear!
I had a single room and it was poor - not clean enough and the bathroom was tiny. The net curtains and blind in the bathroom were filthy which sets the tone.
Would've been 1 star had it not been for the good English breakfast.
Poor for a Best Western & not value for money.

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank MatONtheRoad
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us.

I was disappointed to read some of your comments, rest assured this is not the usual standard and I will be addressing these issues with the relevant staff.

I appreciate you bringing certain matters to my attention.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 21 November 2013

A very old hotel with beautiful banistered stairwells & a nice collection of vintage artworks adorning the walls....complete with squeeking floorboards. Easy 150m walk to Swiss Cottage Tube. Rooms not too claustrophobic like others in London. Not much in the way of good restaurants in walking distance, but the Green Cottage Chinese on Finchley Road is up there with the best.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Thank Dennis & Lynett... L
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of our hotel following your recent stay with us.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and the hotel and do hope that you will choose us again for a future stay.

manchester
Reviewed 20 November 2013

If you're looking for rock and roll then you're probably not looking at Swiss Cottage anyway.
This place is genteel, a little too quiet for my liking, but the hotel team seem good, and my room (203) is very big for London, and most comfortable.

Room Tip: I've only tried 203, but the whole place is away from main roads and wonderfully quiet for Lond...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Giselle122, Manager at Best Western Swiss Cottage Hotel, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of our hotel.

I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and do hope that you will return for a future visit.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I do have a preference for the older hotel with a little character and this one fits the bill. The room was spacious for a Victorian style building and the bed was comfortable. A couple of downsides; The room smelt musty as if the carpet had not been dried properly, a congealed tray outside my door when I arrived at 5pm was not removed until the morning and no restaraunt meant a walk to the main street. Lounge area was nicely furnished and quiet enough to do some work. I noted during breakfast that were several guests that used the hotel regularly and I too (if the price stayed as competitive) would use this hotel again.

Room Tip: Creaky floors on the top floor!
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review of our hotel following your recent stay with us.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the character and style of the hotel and that you would return.

I apologize for any issues encountered during your stay and appreciate the feedback.

I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back very soon.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I stayed two nights for a working visit to London. I'd stayed there many years ago for the same reason and remember finding it very basic. It's had a good-quality redecoration since then although it's still an old building which creeks a bit in the upper floors, which didn't bother me. The staff were friendly and polite. I didn't have the chance to have breakfast or try the bar, but I got the feeling there's not much night-life here anyway. No dinner options although they happily encourage you to order takeaway, and there are plenty of places to eat round about. As other reviewers have said, its location is its greatest quality. After that, if you're just looking for a place to sleep rather than a hotel that adds to the experience of your visit, there's nothing wrong with this place at all.

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your recent review of our hotel.

I was pleased to read that you had noticed our redecoration since your last stay which is ongoing. I was also pleased to read that you enjoyed the location which, although quiet, has an abundance of restaurants and pubs near-by.

I do hope that we will have the chance to welcome you back in the future.

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Stayed here recently for a business trip. Great location in a nice part of town. Only a couple of yards to the underground. The room was a bit too hot and the bathroom stank pretty bad, but as we were only on a brief overnighter, we didn't mind too much.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of our hotel.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the location of the hotel. I have noted your other comments and we will endeavor to rectify these issues.

Thank you for your feedback.