“No parking”

Ranked #508 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“No parking”
Reviewed 29 December 2013

This is a reasonably nice hotel in a good area, some of the features are quite out of date which could be quite charming if you were into the period. The lift is really small and impractical though, and made it quite hard to get luggage up to our top-floor room.

The hotel claims to have free parking, but when I got there I was told that all four parking spaces were already in use, so I should pay for parking on the street. The man at reception didn't point out that there was a mixture of paid and residential parking though, and since I didn't notice this I got stung with a £130 fine from Camden council. So, for a hotel which I chose primarily because of the free parking, I paid double the listed price, which is why I give the hotel 1 star. Perhaps this review will help someone else to avoid making the same series of mistakes.

On the positive side, the room was clean, the free biscuits were quite nice, and the receptionist was friendly and kind apart from the incident mentioned above.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Oscar G
Giselle122, Manager at Best Western Swiss Cottage Hotel, responded to this review, 2 January 2014

Thank you for your review of our hotel.

Firstly I was pleased to read that you found your room to be clean and the staff kind.

I do apologize if the parking situation was not made clear to you, unfortunately our car park is only available on a first come first served basis (but free of charge if available) and there are restrictions on parking in resident bays at certain times. There are a couple of paid parking car parks in the surrounding area as well as paid parking bays but again, I am sorry if there was any misunderstanding as to where these were located.

Thank you again for your review.

Best Western Swiss Cottage Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Hebrew first
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 December 2013

My wife and I were looking for a reasonably priced hotel in the Swiss Cottage area and we found this one. It's not the normal type of hotel I'd choose, I prefer modern and predictable but we were going to a party in the area and this was all we could find at a reasonable price.

The location is quite convenient, leave Swiss Cottage underground by Exit 2 and walk straight ahead, the hotel is just a hundred yards or so in front of you

The hotel is not new or modern but we were pleasantly surprised. Our room was large (almost a suite really) and it was very clean and comfortable. It had plenty of character yet in areas like the bathroom it was quite up to date

It was quiet too, the road outside has been pedestrianized before it joins with the main road a few hundred yards away so there was little if any traffic passing by your window

Breakfast was downstairs in the basement restaurant. £10 for a decent cooked breakfast seemed very reasonable

I think we will be using this hotel again and would be very happy to recommend it to others

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for your review of our hotel.

I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed the location and style of the hotel also that you will be returning.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

newbury
Reviewed 21 December 2013

We stayed for one night, before my daughter's audition at Central. The hotel was perfectly located for this, just across the road from the drama school and a few steps from the tube station. Our room was lovely - extremely good value. The hotel isn't at all like the modern, functional ones we usually stay in for overnight stops - it is rather elegant and a bit quirky, in a nice way. The staff were very helpful - we were made to feel very at home.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of our hotel following your recent stay with us.

I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you felt at home. I do hope that you will choose us again for a future stay.

Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2013

The room was large, stylish and very comfortable. Check out was at 11am on Saturday and breakfast ended at 10.15 which seemed a bit early for a weekend. Slightly expensive but really nice place, I would stay again. Staff were helpful and location is good, 2 minutes walk from the tube station.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Giselle122, Manager at Best Western Swiss Cottage Hotel, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of our hotel following your recent stay with us.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you would return.

We hope to be able to welcome you back soon.

Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2013 via mobile

Don't quite to make of this hotel and can see what some of the other reviews are getting at. Hotel and room were clean and staff were friendly, but room did leave a few things to be desired. Lighting was dim, if the switches worked. Shower was difficult to turn off and water not that hot, which was surprising given the incessant noise from the pipes and/or pump throughout the night (room 15). The saving grace was the fresh cooked breakfast and fresh toast with real bread.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Giselle122, Manager at Best Western Swiss Cottage Hotel, responded to this review, 9 December 2013

Thank you for your review of our hotel.

I was disappointed to read some of your comments and will be addressing these issues with the relevant people.

I do hope that you will give us another chance in the future.

Your comments are appreciated and as with all guest comments, will be used constructively to improve the quality of service that we offer.

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We were here for a week in mid-November and REALLY appreciated being able to dash from the subway to the hotel in bad weather. In that very short span of real estate you pass a sushi place, two theatres, and a daily outdoor market. Being on the Jubilee line, the combination of value and location is hard to beat in London (very easy to get to all touristy attractions). In addition, there is a laundromat less than a ten minute walk up Eaton Street.

Our room and bathroom were ridiculously spacious for London, we had an entire wall of windows that opened fully, and were happy with the cleaning services. While it was never an issue for us, we did hear people in other rooms talking at normal conversational levels. Also, the bed was quite hard; again, this wasn't an issue for us but it you are used to soft bedding then you might be disappointed.

We never made use of the in-house breakfast but found a Pret A Manger (a favourite of ours for breakfast) at the next subway station south (St. John's Wood), where there are also other shops and a few restaurants.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Giselle122, Manager at Best Western Swiss Cottage Hotel, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review of our hotel.

I was pleased to read your positive comments and do hope that you will return for a future stay.

Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

Booked into this hotel at short notice as my normal hotel in the area was fully booked. Oh dear!
I had a single room and it was poor - not clean enough and the bathroom was tiny. The net curtains and blind in the bathroom were filthy which sets the tone.
Would've been 1 star had it not been for the good English breakfast.
Poor for a Best Western & not value for money.

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank MatONtheRoad
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us.

I was disappointed to read some of your comments, rest assured this is not the usual standard and I will be addressing these issues with the relevant staff.

I appreciate you bringing certain matters to my attention.