“Adequate for what we wanted"”

Best Western Swiss Cottage Hotel
Ranked #501 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Leicester, England, United Kingdom
“Adequate for what we wanted"”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Booked this via friend as we wanted somewhere with good Travel links to the O2. A 25 minute tube journey dropped us right on the doorstep. Swiss Cottage tube station is less than a five minute walk from the hotel.
Hotel itself is a little tired but it's set in a quiet area and a very warm night saw us turn in with windows open and we had an undisturbed nights sleep.
Room was a nice big room with double and two singles tea making facilities etc.
No restaurant as such but you can get lunchtime snacks and not much of a bar. But it served its purpose as a comfy bed for a couple of nights. I would use this place again as its away from the hustle and bustle of Central London

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Giselle122, Manager at Best Western Swiss Cottage Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of our hotel following your recent stay with us.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the location and peacefulness of the area and do hope that you will return for a future stay.

BEST WESTERN Swiss Cottage Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Hebrew first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Stayed over night in this very tired, a little grumpy in places hotel. The location for me was great, close to the tube and three stops into town, or a brisk walk to Primrose Hill. It's a shame Great Western won't invest. The room plenty big enough, lumpy bed, dirty windows, dirty cup, kettle not good so couldn't make a drinkable coffee, shower was a mixer tap and quite noisy. The breakfast was ok. The staff were very pleasant and helpful. This cost me £160 for one night, outrageous.

Room Tip: Yes, stay somewhere else
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank 35mark2013

Thank you for your review of our hotel.

I was disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us entirely, If you would like to discuss the points raised in your review further, please do not hesitate to contact me via telephone.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Our experience with this hotel was very pleasant. The service was minimal but quite good whenever we needed it. The building and some of the furniture is pretty old and creaky in parts but that's not unusual at all in Europe. It was very clean and well kept. We had a delux room on the 4th floor that was large and airy and very comfortable. The neighborhood is mostly very quiet and the hotel is less than a block from the Swiss Cottage tube station and Finchley Road busses. The breakfast was very basic but good and there's a tiny but really pleasant bar on the main floor. By London standards, I would say this is a decent value and I would stay there again.

Room Tip: The 4th floor rooms are much bigger and have large windows that open. They are a little more but wo...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Giselle122, Manager at Best Western Swiss Cottage Hotel, responded to this review, 19 June 2014

Thank you for your review of our hotel.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and do hope that you will choose us again for a future visit.

Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Stayed for two nights. Centrally located near swiss cottage tube station. We had a lovely spacious room on second floor. Breakfast was very good with plenty of choice. All staff very friendly apart from one chambermaid who couldn't even be bothered to acknowledge us even though I said good morning. Check out was ok but they really do need to sort out there credit card connection as took ages before it would connect. However a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Giselle122, Manager at Best Western Swiss Cottage Hotel, responded to this review, 13 June 2014

Thank you for your review of our hotel.

I was pleased to read that you had a largely pleasent stay. I do apologise if you found the member of Housekeeping unfriendly, I will be addressing this with the Housekeeping department.

Thank you once again for your feedback and I do hope that you will return for a future stay.

Coventry
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I wrote a very critical review of this hotel in July 2013.

Because of its very convenient position for my weekend course I stayed there again, this time with my wife. I booked a "superior twin" room on the first floor. I had decided to stay a day more than my original booking and I found the reception staff most helpful in arranging this, enabling us to remain in the same room.

The room itself was large and with a good sized bay window overlooking the street behind the hotel which apart from a small disturbance in the street at around 4.00 a.m. on the Saturday night was very quiet. The bathroom was clean with an ample supply of water to both bath and shower. The twin beds were large and comfortable with bedside lights adequate to read by - an often neglected point in hotel rooms. We don't all read off backlit screens!

As I mentioned before, there is no restaurant, just a breakfast room where the service and food were excellent. My only gripe was that it was not available before 8.00 a.m.

The bar appeared little used, a pity as the lounge is an elegant, comfortable room with some "old masters" on the wall. The selection of drinks was perhaps a little limited.

All in all, this felt like a different hotel to the one I stayed at the previous year.

Room Tip: It might still be wise to avoid the top floor rooms in hot weather.
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of our hotel following your recent stay.

I was very pleased to read that you decided to return and enjoyed your stay this time. It is very encouraging to read that where we perhaps fell short during your last stay, you can see an improvement.

Thank you again for your feedback, which I will be passing on to the relevant departments.

I do hope that you will return soon.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 5 June 2014

This hotel is centrally located very near the swiss cottage underground and it has it`s own parking space for your car.
It`s in a victorian building and there are a lot of corridors to walk untill you`v reached your room.
The rooms are small and have very little cupboard space, but the are clean with fresh bedlinnen and newly refurbished shower & toilet.
The breakfast is very good.

Room Tip: Most rooms are very quiet

Thank you for your review of our hotel.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the location and found the hotel and linen to be clean.

I do hope that you will return for a future stay.

Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I stayed here on 28-29 May because the usual hotel that I use when I'm on business in London was full. First the positives - it's easy to find from the Tube and the decor and rooms (including the furniture are all original and individual - possibly from it having been a large Georgian house in the day and pretty large rooms for London. The bathroom was also well maintained large and modern and the WIFI worked very well and was easy to connect to.

The downsides are that it has no air conditioning which means that the rooms are very hot and sticky in the Summer/late Spring and the restaurant in the cellar even more so - so I couldn't enjoy my breakfast and overnight had to leave all of the windows open (which meant there was quite a lot of noise from the street outside, so I didn't sleep well). The lift also didn't work, which wasn't a problem for me, but if I'd been elderly or disabled it would have been.

Room Tip: ask for a corner room
1 Thank StaffordRanger
Giselle122, Manager at Best Western Swiss Cottage Hotel, responded to this review, 2 June 2014

Thank you for your review of our hotel.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the location and style of the hotel but do apologise if you found the temperature of your bedroom and the breakfast room too hot.

I do hope that you will choose us again for a future stay and I thank you again for your feedback.