“Really in need of a make over...”

Britannia International Hotel
Ranked #895 of 1,090 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Really in need of a make over...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

As we were given vouchers for a spa day at the wonderful Six Senses spa at the Pan Peninsula, we decided to treat ourselves to a stay in a local hotel. Booked the 4* Britannia International . When we where checking in there was an empty pint glass on the reception desk, obviously left from the night before. The lift had stains on the glass which looked as if a drink had been spilt. The bedroom wallpaper was stained and torn the bed looked very odd, it didn't quite reach the width of the headboard,had no valance and was very hard
We wanted to have a sandwich so went to their pizzeria restaurant, it was empty apart from a helpful staff member who was rearranging the plates and cutlery, when we ordered the sandwiches, a chef arrived in his not so white whites,which were badly stained down the front and a little off putting. We went out to dinner in the evening but returned to have coffee at the hotel. The lounge area is spacious and with a good view of the docks. The windows however were filthy and rusting and the carpet shabby. Conversations had in the corridor were so easy to hear, it felt like the people were in our room
Not sure how hotels attain their star ratings but there is no way that this hotel is 4*

2 Thank BertieBee_11
ManagerInternational, Manager at Britannia International Hotel, responded to this review, 5 August 2012
Dear BertieBee_11,

Thank you very much for posting your comments on the Trip advisor Website.
Please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience caused during your stay with us. May I request you to kindly contact me, so that I can investigate all the issues addressed by you. I can assure you that this level of service is not of our standards. Please kindly contact me on siddharth.mahajan@britanniahotels.com

Kind regards,

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (862)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
South Shields, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

This is the third time that I have stayed in this hotel,
and the hotel remains the best value for your hard earned pound. The staff yet again are the BEST in town, thanks go to Sahill, Lottie, Elise, Micheal my thanks for all there help. As a disabled man, my room was perfect and clean, complete with whirlpool bath and walk in shower. To anyone coming to London come to Canary Wharfe, you wont be disappointed

Room Tip: Just take what you are given, this is London, its all great....................................
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Ralph S
Dear Ralph S,

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our team here are committed to ensuring all our guest are comfortable during their stay and received the best possible service. I am pleased to know that Sahil, Lasllo, Elise and Micheal ( Hotel Staff ) exceeded your expectations.

Durham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2012

Our third visit.Should have been here in October last year but it was cancelled by the Hotel so we really looked forward to this 5 day break in London with National Holidays.It was again, well worth the wait.Great food and a lovely clean room(didn't get the gorgeous view this time though O).Ingrida,you do the hotel proud and we had to mention how pleased we were with our room service.I also want to mention the lady who cleans the downstairs loos and lounge area early morn.as she works so hard and she has been there on each of our holidays.I just don't know her name.I know it has been mentioned in past reviews about the hotel being dated but we love it and it is very clean.
Compliments to the chef for the beef in particular although no complaints at all about any of the food.We were worried about the late breakfast (8.30) being dry but it was lovely and fresh.
Canary Wharf is a lovely place and well worth exploring, so don't dash off into London without checking it out. We did, and popped back to the hotel for a well earned pizza which was served beautifully.
Great value,nice location and great service.We will be going back.

silsden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2012

we stayed at the britannia for 2 nights 19 July. really enjoyed the stay. It was special offer with travel zoo .com.Upgraded for 2 nights £20 which included free wine and choclates. location a bit out at canary wharf but close to O2 and Stratford for the olympic village. No problems at all and very enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: upgrade for £10 per night
Dear tonesilsden,

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our team here are committed to ensuring all our guest are comfortable during their stay and received the best possible service. Your feedback is very important to us and is very much appreciated; our team will be thrilled to receive it. Thanks for your review it will be a pleasure to welcoming you back in future.

Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

I’ve had to stay at this hotel several times over the last 6 years for work in Canary Wharf, when the other hotels are booked up. I’ve had so many bad experiences I’ve lost count. December last year, there were Christmas parties which they forgot to mention and I literally didn’t get a wink of sleep. I’ve been stuck in rooms beside the lifts (very noisy in general). Once I was put in a room with a fake window. There was a wall outside it and they didn’t think I might have an issue with this. The decor is very tacky and so the whole place is need of a refurb. Some of the staff that I have dealt with had very poor English. They seem to make their money off desperate work travellers in the highly expensive Canary Wharf area, and coach trips from Asia and elsewhere: I always feel sorry for them when I see them at breakfast and hope this isn’t the only place they get to stay in London... Breakfast by the way, is better skipped. I don’t really have words to describe it. Toast, butter, jam is all available in troughs... think feeding time at the zoo and you can’t go too far wrong. There are loads of sandwich bars in the area, pick up a stress free tea and a pastry. You’ll be doing yourself a favour.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the lifts!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Littlepits
Dear julieee1,

Thank you very much for posting your comments on the Trip advisor Website.

Kind regards,

Operations Manager

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

Arrived at this hotel for 1 night stay on the 21/07/2012. Arrived at 11:30AM and room was ready so we were allowed to check in early. Reception staff were very helpful and polite.
I stayed in an Executive suite with a Jacuzzi bath tub, this room also came with a small box of chocolates and a bottle of wine.
First of all, the hotel is very easy to find. The directions on the website make it sound harder than it is. 3 minute walk from the nearest tube station.
The entrance hall of the hotel is very nice with chandeliers and golden, polished brass.
The prices of the hotel are VERY reasonable.
Stayed on the 9th floor and enjoyed a panoramic view over London. The room was spotlessly clean, if a little tired. Dont let the "run down" reviews put you off, yes there are some areas with a small patch of wallpaper chipped off and a well-used chair but it is still a VERY nice hotel.

Breakfast was second to none. Typical full english buffet with the added choice of fresh bread, fruit, cereals and juice. Pots of tea and coffee are already on your table, again waiters are very smiley and helpful

Highly recommended

1 Thank Jonjoc
Dear Jonjoc,

On behalf of all the staff of the International Hotel I would like to thank you for taking the time to post these positive comments about your recent stay with us.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

With kind regards,

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

I booked this hotel as a birthday present for my boyfriend as he was 21. I booked the hotel as it had special offers on the rooms and I thought it was a bargain.
Reading some of the reviews I got worried that I may have booked a horrendous hotel.
However, I couldn't see a problem.
Yes, it's very dated but apparently the hotel is soon to have a refurb. There was a tiny tear of the wallpaper in the room but nothing to affect the stay.

Amazing views over London and also of the docks in canary wharf and the location was great for a young couple who just wanted to enjoy London and have a nice meal and a couple of drinks in the bars nearby.
The view from the bar in the hotel was also beautiful at night overlooking the docks.

I'd booked an executive suite which was small compared to other more expensive hotels in London but nothing to complain about.
Our room certainly didn't smell 'musty', it was left perfectly clean as was the bathroom and everything worked as you'd hope. Someone in an earlier review complained of the plug not fitting the bath. We however,found the jacuzzi bath amazing!

We were also suprised that we were allowed to checkin 3 hours earlier than it states on websites. This made the day we had planned run even more smoothly and the staff were kind and helpful.
They did not speak English amazingly however this wasn't too much of an issue for us.

Breakfast was your typical cooked English with a small continental breakfast. With the option of cereals or croissants or fresh bread. Along with fresh juices and tea and coffee at the table.

Food and drink in the evening is also a perfectly reasonable price. Cheaper than if you go out to eat in fact. However, other than breakfast we did not try the food at the hotel.

This stay is perfect for a young couple who just want a good value hotel in the heart of the capital. We had a lovely stay at the hotel.

• Stayed July 2012