“unhappy very poor service”

Britannia International Hotel
Ranked #882 of 1,064 Hotels in London
Coventry, United Kingdom
“unhappy very poor service”
Reviewed 13 January 2014

room was upgarded {joke} requested tea and coffee never came i needed to set own table for breakfast was told by staff other were waiting very poor asked for complaint form was given complement form and told to put it in the comment box very unhelpful

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (871)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I stayed at the International just before Christmas 2013 and was very well catered for. The staff couldn't be more helpful, the room was excellent, I had everything I needed and more.
My only complaints were re the catering, Breakfast was good but fried eggs were not freshly fried they were dried out (I was a military chef so know that they can be done well) the curry in the spice house was so hot it was inedible.
But on the whole I was pleasantly impressed and would use it again but skip the meals.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank David S
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Ok so the hotel is very dated (looks like the rooms haven't been updated since the early 90's) but I booked a two night stay with dinner through group on for a very good price. Other than for this, I don't think I would pay full rack rate.

We were in the city so much that didn't want to waste time having dinner in the hotel although they did let us order pizza one night from the in-house italian restaurant and bring it up to the room which was good.

It was perfect for us as we are not first time visitors to London so don't need to be in the hustle and bustle, happy to get a good value deal and get the tube/ dlr in and out of central london (about 20 min journey in total incl a 5/10 min walk from the tube station to hotel).

But if I was a first time visitor to London I would advise of not staying in this hotel or in Canary Wharf at all! Canary wharf is a soul less place at the best of times and not a good place as an intro to London!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Durham
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Went with National and another great 5 day stay. Stayed on the 10th floor with great views over Canary Wharf. Staff all cheerful and friendly as usual, so no complaints there. Food was fine too. Only a few minutes walk to the underground so getting into the heart of London is easy, just make sure to miss the rush hour or there is a bust stop right outside. We also travelled into London using the hop on or off river taxi.

Room Tip: The higher the better and even numbers look out over Canary Wharf .
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Just got back from a weekend away with National holidays.
When arrived we were greeted and checking in was very quick. We were in room 311, the room was clean, well equipped though could have done with more coffee and also some hot chocolate. Also theres no iron and the clothes press is rubbish. Well the view from the window was bad. Also air con made a right noise. Furniture is very dated are draw had a handle missing and the chandelier was dusty. We had a bin which the best place for this was the bin!! Though I slept well.
We ate in the Jenny restaurant, its not the best set and at the time there was a lot of Italians in and where you got your food from is badly set up. The food was basic but nice. The staff in the restaurant were very helpful and pleasant especially Zsott (might have spelt that wrong) I had a 7yr old who didnt like anything on the first night i paid for chips (though you could have them for breakfast!!.). The 2nd they got me some for free. We got the underground back which is a short walk from the hotel if you use the right escalators from the underground.

All in all the hotel is clean and the reception is bright and airy. Would definitely stay here again but not in room 311.

Room Tip: Not room 311
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank kayelass23
London
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I stayed here for 1 night during December. I made a direct booking for 2 seperate rooms for the same night. I subsequently received my credit card bill and noticed that I had already been charged for the room but I had not actually physically stayed there as yet. On contacting the hotel booking centre, they confirmed that I had been charged for the room as I was a 'no show'. I explained that me and my colleague were not due to stay there for another 1 week and that I had made the reservation on my credit card 'to hold' the booking. Several emails and phone calls later, the hotel admitted their mistake and refunded my money. There was no apology or gesture made in terms of any compensation for their mistake and the fact that that I had already paid my credit card bill for a booking that had not yet happened!
Upon checking in, I was given a very old, very hot bedroom (aircon was not working) with very dated decor.
Very disappointing stay!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Ashton-under-Lyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Stayed here for two nights as part of a cheapish coach trip. Had reservations bearing in mind the price and the reputation of Britannia Hotels in the Manchester area. Checkin was very quick and efficient although the queue for the lifts was quite long. If I can set the scene we visited this hotel in the few days between Christmas and new year, as the hotel is based within the Docklands area then my guess it is mainly used by business people, but obviously not at this time of the year. It would appear that the hotel had done some deal with the coach operator as 10 coaches arrived almost at the same time. Having said that it didn't take long to arrive at our room. We had been upgraded to an exec room which was quite large and had good views as we were on the eigth floor with views over the Thames. Whilst the room was large it was fairly simple and cleanliness was good. Meal time was chaotic, with so many people using the facilities, even with staggered meal times the queues were long. At breakfast we queued 20 minutes for a table, and then queued a further 20 minutes for the self service breakfast. Quality of food was only average. I would guess that during a normal week there are less people dining and times are better.

Staff are extremely friendly.

Position of the hotel is good with DLR and the tube a short walk away. For anyone who doesn't know London then it is a long way from central London and the usual tourist attractions. The area is good with several pubs etc in waking distance.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple