“Good location cheap stay”

Britannia International Hotel
Ranked #886 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Booked this hotel without reading the previous reviews.It is in a great location with easy access to tube approx 7 minute walk.It does look tired,furniture and decor does need sprucing up,the breakfast was edible and the staff friendly.
The room was clean with fresh towels.
This is not a top end hotel,it is cheap and cheerful in a good location.

Room Tip: Choose a room with river view
4  Thank john770176
Write a ReviewReviews (4,064)

Reviewed 29 July 2014

I guess reading the other reviews that some people's expectations are higher than others. We had our room 714 for Saturday night, meeting friends coming from France for the weekend. A Groupon deal, it included breakfast which was something for everyone and all you could want, and well cooked & presented, a bottle of wine, leisure access and our room. On checking in the upgraded us to a very lovely room and we were more than happy. Good views over the Wharf, very comfortable bed and good bathroom with clean towels, TV and drink making facilities. Staff friendly and extremely helpful. A great stay at a good price. Thanks.

Room Tip: Not sure as we only stayed in one and had no access to others, but 714 that we were in was great wit...
3  Thank lynnc185
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Some of the reviews have really made me chuckle. One said that the hotel was too far away from the O2 arena. Maybe the poor staff should move the hotel 'a little to the left', as Basil Fawlty would say!

Anyway, let's get in the real world... This hotel cost me less than £80 for one night. It's located next to stunning Canary Wharf and is dead easy to get to.

The hotel has an impressive frontage and a plush reception. The reception staff were efficient, albeit a little wooden.

The rooms are 80s inspired, my room had a chandelier lol. Cleanliness was OK. You're not going to catch any diseases and it's not for the perfectionist lol. However, I've stayed at worse and this is adequate.

The room has a comfy bed, decent TV, good lighting and an adequate en-suite. Air con is not great, but for a budget room I was glad to have something.

This hotel is not suitable for a lengthy stay, but for a one or two night stopover absolutely fine. Don't stress, just enjoy!

Tip : best not to eat in. The restaurant is not great and deserted on the evening that I ate. Shame because the staff tried hard, the kitchen really let them down (for the first time in my life I had to add lots of salt to a restaurant curry. Need I say more...)

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Justin H
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

DO NOT STAY HERE.

We stayed here one night after flying in late from Greece. It was the worst hotel I have stayed in since college (20 years ago)... disgusting, inconvenient, with paper thin walls and dirty rooms. I was mad at my boyfriend but it wasn't his fault given the website is so unlawfully dishonest in its portrayal of the hotel.

The room was sick. Dirty with dirty windows and a bathroom that was stained with rust. The worst part is that we had twin beds pushed together... With individual sheets. I felt 80 years old tucked in a separate bed next to my guy. Terrible.

We layed down after a whole day of traveling from Greece to hear sounds all around from rooms and the hallway by our room. Walls so thin we could hear distinct conversations. A woman in the hall talking into a phone so I had to go tell her to go somewhere else.

No bottled water. No one to help order or hail a taxi. I could NOT wait to get out of there!!

DO NOT STAY HERE.

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Rebecca S
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Stayed from the 21st July...Had a room on the 11th floor number 30 which was spotless and lovely views over Canary Wharf. Rooms cleaned daily and always fresh clean white towels. High temperatures, so very pleased we had the air con. The staff were lovely as usual and although breakfast was chaotic, I really enjoyed the fruit. Have been to this hotel several times and always enjoy our stay. All the people we chatted too enjoyed their stay, apart from the disorganised breakfast.

2  Thank PippaDurham
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Was so very disappointed by this hotel. I stayed here about 12 yrs ago & I have to say, that the decor seemed the same. Very dated & very gloomy. On check in - the staff where very friendly & did change my room when I mentioned that the view I had was of a concrete city. That room was on the 9th floor, decor was dreadful. They change my room next day to the 10th floor, yes I had a better view & room was better, but still dated. I stayed for 4 nights. It was quite humid at night, so I had the air con on........big mistake!!! see pictures. The breakfast was a farce, so very badly organised & quality of food, well think you would get better at a truck stop, no kidding. None of the staff smiled, so to me that says alot! Everyone I spoke to over that 5 days, where complaining, even people in the lifts. Hotel, just appeared dirty, even simple coffee/tea splashed where over restaurant walls could have been wiped clean but wasnt & the windows in restaurant & lounge are rusty & need replacing. I have stayed in premier lodges & Ibis hotel & have found their standard of cleanliness much higher & less expensive than this supposedly 4* hotel. This was a treat to myself & part of my bucket list & what a waste of my precious time & money. I wont be staying here again :-(

Room Tip: 10th floor & above
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 July 2014

My friend and I stayed here for one night as we were going to a concert at the O2.

Even though you can see the O2 from the hotel it's a distance to walk and I wouldn't do it. It's also a little walk (5mins) to the DLR and slightly further to river taxi. We opted for a taxi from the concert which cost us about £20. The following morning we walked to the river taxi to take us into town which was a trek with our cases.

The hotel reception is nice. The service we received from reception was not! After 3 trips down to reception after checking in we were finally able to get into our room. On one occasion our key card being programmed to the wrong door and we walked into someone else's room, luckily they weren't in there!! We were also blamed for the key card being kept by a phone which interfered with its programming!

The rooms, we stayed in a twin, are scruffy and dated but clean. However, it was extremely hot and even though we turned the thermostat down and opened the only window that would, on a restrictor, it was quite unbearable!

Breakfast was a nightmare. All laid out in an area far too small for the amount of guests. The queue for breakfast snaked right through the resturant. The food itself was obviously mass produced with cheap ingredients.

Would I stay here again? Never!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends