“Give it a miss, there's much better around” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Britannia International Hotel

Britannia International Hotel
Ranked #896 of 1,087 Hotels in London
London
“Give it a miss, there's much better around”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Dear heavens, in this day and age why are hotels like this still doing good business? It looks ok but old-fashioned but down below it's dated, slow, terrible reception service with a very restricted ability to help.

Why do I say this? I was on my client's corporate booking and the hotel (which wrongly blamed the booking agency) screwed up the card payment. It cost us 45 mins at check-in and had to be sorted through someone else doing the payment. We had a free drink voucher.

Then I get to the room and the TV doesn't work. The room also faces the DLR - do not have a room facing that way even if the view of Docklands is better! They wouldn't move me until the next day even though not all rooms were taken. People were still to arrive but I had to stay where I was. Another free drink voucher. They must get through a lot of them.

The next day I was moved to an executive room. Code for bigger but still same tired space.

The irony is that I had to cancel my Premier Inn booking for two nights to come here. I was in the Premier Inn before and after this hotel and the PI is so much better!

Was there an upside? Yes - the Indian restaurant on-site is fantastic. Go there if you have to stay in this hotel.

Room Tip: Try somewhere else
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Cleanliness
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (849)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Lisbon, Portugal
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Second time on hotel, this time after a bad experience on first i try to give a second change. Hotel is a little bit old need to be reformed. Very nice room with a good bathroom. The water in bathroom for shower don't have may strength (stay on 9 th). The breakfast is so so , no much variety. The rest the hotel need to improve. The staff was amazing, every time very useful. I like to speak about a few persons in hotel that help me a good stay. Special reference to Spice Restaurant (Indian restaurant) to Barbara and Luisa , two persons with very good sympathy and helpful. I always to mention this three persons Mr. Ali very helpful all the time and Shemelyn and Cavit.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Mike R
Hull, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Myself and my partner stayed for 3 nights as part of a national holidays trip.
We felt singled out as we were only allowed to dine in one restaurant and theres three available. Why should this happen when we are paying customers too? The food was ok. There wasnt much to choose from and the cheesecake was still in its packaging! The waiters/waitresses need training in customer service! They took my plate away when my partner was still eating and then as soon as he finished, they whipped his plate away.

On a more positive note, the hotel was clean and our room had a good view. The rooms are slighy dated though. The hotel is close to the canary wharf underground station.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kelly W
South Wales
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights in August, booked twin room on deal for £99 per night, could not find a better hotel deal at time of going. Rooms are a bit dated but very clean, location is five minutes walk from Canary Wharf tube station. The only observation I would make like some others is the air conditioning just does not work, our room temp was always about 25c at coolest and you could not adjust the controls. We spent little time in room so only at night was it a little issue. I would stay again if the rooms were priced for value and you were in the centre of London in 20 mins.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank paulSouthWales
Swindon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

Came into London for a conference and the O2, this Hotel is showing its age a bit. The Bed looked very bad but was a surprisingly reasonable sleep. Overall for the price we paid for this Hotel, I was happy but we book a very good rate. We were 1 stop from the O2 and a short walk to the tube station.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
Bolton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

The public areas were quite opulent but could do with updating. Our family room 436 was decidedly dated although spacious. The wallpaper was peeling of the wall in places and in the en-suite a shower curtain! The rear of the bathroom door, how can I put it, looked as if a wild animal had tried to escape from there. There was a charge to use the swimming pool and no towels provided unless you used the room towels.

On the positive side the staff were pleasant and the in house Indian restaurant provided a good evening meal. As it was a only a two night stay we decided to make the most of it and enjoy our pre-planned London visit without spending time sorting out complaints.. No doubt when the hotel is refurbished the prices will rise

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Flup2
Hull
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

I stayed here for 4 nights last week and I can honestly say that this is one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in. The location is great for getting into central London on both the Underground and the DLR and is also handy for if you fancy doing the Emirates Air Line in Greenwich. The room we had was on the seventh floor and we had fantastic views of the docks and the O2 arena on one side and right up the Thames in the other direction. The bed was super comfy and the room was ever so spacious, which was a very pleasant surprise. The bathroom had everything you would need and the maids came everyday to clean and change the sheets. We were on a package holiday so we had Breakfast and Evening meals included in the price, and we found these to be satisfactory, although a little more variety would have been nice.

Overall we loved the hotel and are looking at booking again in the very near future.

Room Tip: High floor/ Harbour view
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple