“Solid hotel, good value, 1980's rooms!”

Britannia International Hotel
Ranked #883 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I actually like this hotel. Its solid and reliable, but the decors was styled in the 1980's although it is clean and comfortable. Bar food really is from the 1980's but the Indian restaurant and Italian bistro are OK (although not the worlds fastest service). And this is the only hotel I have stopped in where there are chips (French Fries) on the breakfast buffet !!! Normally full of coach loads of tourists on a tight budget. Great if you are on expenses and easy walk to Canary Wharf if its not raining.

Room Tip: avoid rooms overlooking the docklands railway if you don't want to be woken up by the first trai...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (4,116)

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Booked two room for two nights when seeing Monty Python at the O2. Paid top price for executive rooms. We did not get the rooms we paid for. When complained telephone receptionist hung up on us twice. Went down to reception desk, staff couldn't care less. They had a take it, or leave it attitude. We ended up moving furniture from one room to another ourselves. The beds were hard, could not sleep. Breakfast was a joke. The windows in the dining area were filthy and rusty. The food bland. The breakfast orange juice was just coloured water. WiFi was a joke, half an hour to load one page. And parking charges were outlandish. On the first night we returned at 11pm and left at 9.30 next morning, but yet made to pay the full 24 hours car parking charge. Will not stay there again. Do NOT recommend.

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed last Friday in the Hotel. The staff was very friendly and helpfull in every way. From our balcony we had a spectacular view on the Thames and the city. The only small remark is that the Italian restaurant is not what we expected and certainly overpriced for the quality of the food and service offered.
The room was very good and more than expected.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michael G
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Dear heavens, in this day and age why are hotels like this still doing good business? It looks ok but old-fashioned but down below it's dated, slow, terrible reception service with a very restricted ability to help.

Why do I say this? I was on my client's corporate booking and the hotel (which wrongly blamed the booking agency) screwed up the card payment. It cost us 45 mins at check-in and had to be sorted through someone else doing the payment. We had a free drink voucher.

Then I get to the room and the TV doesn't work. The room also faces the DLR - do not have a room facing that way even if the view of Docklands is better! They wouldn't move me until the next day even though not all rooms were taken. People were still to arrive but I had to stay where I was. Another free drink voucher. They must get through a lot of them.

The next day I was moved to an executive room. Code for bigger but still same tired space.

The irony is that I had to cancel my Premier Inn booking for two nights to come here. I was in the Premier Inn before and after this hotel and the PI is so much better!

Was there an upside? Yes - the Indian restaurant on-site is fantastic. Go there if you have to stay in this hotel.

Room Tip: Try somewhere else
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Second time on hotel, this time after a bad experience on first i try to give a second change. Hotel is a little bit old need to be reformed. Very nice room with a good bathroom. The water in bathroom for shower don't have may strength (stay on 9 th). The breakfast is so so , no much variety. The rest the hotel need to improve. The staff was amazing, every time very useful. I like to speak about a few persons in hotel that help me a good stay. Special reference to Spice Restaurant (Indian restaurant) to Barbara and Luisa , two persons with very good sympathy and helpful. I always to mention this three persons Mr. Ali very helpful all the time and Shemelyn and Cavit.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Mike R
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Myself and my partner stayed for 3 nights as part of a national holidays trip.
We felt singled out as we were only allowed to dine in one restaurant and theres three available. Why should this happen when we are paying customers too? The food was ok. There wasnt much to choose from and the cheesecake was still in its packaging! The waiters/waitresses need training in customer service! They took my plate away when my partner was still eating and then as soon as he finished, they whipped his plate away.

On a more positive note, the hotel was clean and our room had a good view. The rooms are slighy dated though. The hotel is close to the canary wharf underground station.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kelly W
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Stayed here for two nights in August, booked twin room on deal for £99 per night, could not find a better hotel deal at time of going. Rooms are a bit dated but very clean, location is five minutes walk from Canary Wharf tube station. The only observation I would make like some others is the air conditioning just does not work, our room temp was always about 25c at coolest and you could not adjust the controls. We spent little time in room so only at night was it a little issue. I would stay again if the rooms were priced for value and you were in the centre of London in 20 mins.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends