“Never again”

Britannia International Hotel
Ranked #889 of 1,088 Hotels in London
“Never again”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel desperately needs updating. The decor is very 80's.

Bedroom
Bizarre layout meant that i had a painful neck watching tv from bed.
Decor old and tired with peeling wallpaper, paintwork in need of re-doing, no opening window and air con which hardly made a difference.

Bathroom
A sink with broken plug so water did not drain.... A lack of hot water in the morning, it just did not feel clean!

Car parking
Get in the hotel before 6pm and expect a £21 bill the next morning.... Absolutely disgusting price for a car park full of rubble and rubbish with poorly laid out spaces and no designated walkway so you take you life in your hands getting out.

Breakfast
Buffet style breakfast. Not very quick at replenishing the food. By 7.10 am all the coach parties have come down for breakfast so expect to queue. Sausages cooked to death, cheap bacon that disintegrates, dark brown has browns clearly cooked in very old oil. Far too many tables squeezed into the restaurant... All in regimented rows like you would have at school.... Or at Pontins!

Reception
Plenty of staff around in the evening to check you in however the check out in the morning took an eternity.

Spa facilitles.... No way i was paying for that having paid for a room

Frankly i would have paid less at a Premier Inn and although no spa i would have had a more comfortable and enjoyable stay

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank IpswichTim

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (859)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

This is the second time I have stayed at this hotel. Last time I gave it three out of five but this time I am giving it four out of five mainly due to the fact that the room I was staying in this time was much nicer and looked as though it had been recently decorated. The room was spotlessly clean. I was staying with my sister in a twin bedded room. I have to say that I am pleased I was staying with someone I knew well as the beds were pushed together although we did have separate duvets. I was staying as part of a package which was good value but I'm not sure I would have liked to pay over £13 for a breakfast which I understand is the going rate. The breakfast is okay and there is a fairly good choice to choose from but still seems a bit on the expensive side. One thing I did think was good value were the bar prices. I thought for being in a London hotel they were very reasonable. The hotel is in a good location and is close to the tube, DLR and plenty of shops. My sister and I paid a visit to see The Tower of London to see the poppies representing the soldiers killed during the First World War. Very moving.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Valerie M
Surrey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

Stayed here for 1 night before the Prudential 100 ride. On check-in it wasn't explained to us that you can't sign things to your room. So we had a very average dinner (frozen falafel burger and frozen fries) at the 'Italian' and signed it to our room. We were then hounded for the payment, resulting in the restaurant staff knocking on our door at 22:30 with a chip and pin machine. With an early start for a 100 mile bike ride the next day, I was not impressed and had some choice words for them before shutting the door. The bill was presented to us when they delivered B'fast. Why they couldn't have just done this anyway is a mystery.
The rooms are dated and tatty with an 'eclectic' mix of furniture that has possibly been sourced from the closing down sale of a 1970's hotel.
The twin bed room had two 2'6" beds which were rock hard, with solid foam lumps for pillows. When we asked for a couple more duvets, so we could try to make the bed softer, we were told that extra bedding is not allowed.
We had a room at the back, which I'm sure some people would be pleased with as it looks over the river. However it is also very close to the DLR (docklands light railways) which run pretty late into the night, so with the squealing trains and the world's most uncomfortable beds, don't expect much sleep.
This hotel is absolutely dreadful. With prostitutes hanging around the front door when we arrived at 17:00, and the fact they obviously have issues with people not paying, hence not being able to sign things to the room, I think you get the general idea of the calibre of hotel this is. Not quite sure how it got a 4* rating.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank loveroamin

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

Last week we stayed a knight at this holel, on the front was only written International Hotel and abobe the dark entrance Britannia was added, which made us miss the hotel (and we were not the only ones!); the hotel has not been renovated or updated for a very long time an this is shown from the entrance carpet, lifts, carpet in the room, the tap in the bathroom has the metalic cover almost vanished, the furniture is scratched, etc, etc, etc and we were upscaled to executive, hey ho! If by any chance you wish to by a hafl board deal think twice, we had this and we went to the pizzeria; the waitress was not so please when she knew we have the half board, so after ordering we wait around 20 to 25 minutes for the starter: bruscheta and a tomato salad (complicated cooking), bruscheta was an old bun fried on a side and with some chopped tomatoes, then pizza came when we just finished the starter, my pizza according to the menu should have chargrilled vegetable (Florentine), but had just some roe vegetable spread and the dough was uncooked, my huby's was dry and had no spices (american hot! Someting called). I will stop here and I will strongly advise to avoid this hotel, does not worth it.

Room Tip: No tips, please avoid it
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AncaC56
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

I bought a nights accommodation here via Groupon.
I can see why they are using Grouon.
the rooms have no opening window so warm and stuffy but clean and bed was ok.
Good brekky though and the staff are friendly and helpful.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KevinAmiss74
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

My now husband (although at the time we went - jan 2012 - we had been dating 2 months!) stayed here for a London surprise birthday trip he arranged for my 26th birthday.
He had asked for a room as high up as possible, and we got the one under the pent house, so pretty much on the top of the hotel!
We had lovely views of the river and the quay, with huge windows that were one side of the room (of which was huge, big bed, lovely bathroom, sofa/lounge area and wardrobes).
Excellent service, clean and tidy.
Would def stay here again. Also not bad links to the underground - being in the business district this is expected though!

Room Tip: ask for a room high up and on the side of the river - great views!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
lockerbie,scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

stayed at this hotel,in canary wharf,through a coach trip with Caledonian travel.nice room,comfy bed,excellent food all self serve,which usually puts me off,but not this time as the food was very nice.no complaints at all.brilliant holiday cannot wait to go back next year.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family