“Very poor afternoon tea”
Review of 11 Cadogan Gardens

11 Cadogan Gardens
Ranked #92 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Very poor afternoon tea”
Reviewed 21 July 2012

We popped in here for afternoon tea and whilst the staff were lovely unfortunately the afternoon tea was not. The scones were tiny and the cakes were of a very poor standard. No top ups of tea were offered and we left feeling ripped off spending £44 for a small amount of food. I expected much better from this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lynne S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Slovak first
Toronto
Reviewed 20 July 2012

We stayed at this property after reading the reviews. What a superb experience!
Felt like being royalty and staying in a mansion.

I may not do justice in my review to convey how positive I am about this hotel but let me just say that this is probably one of the best 5* stays I have had and services I have seen offered anywhere in the world.

Location: beautiful upscale neighborhood and walking distance to Sloan Rd for high end boutiques and nice stroll
Breakfast: excellent
Rooms: beautifully decorated
Bed: Comfortable
Shower: excellent
Service: First in class. The Concierge helped us find and book restaurants on three occasions and all three were excellent choices.
Internet: free but can be patchy at times

If you stay with family and want interconnected rooms ask for the rooms on the 4th floor. Which connect through a living area :)

We shall return without hesitation

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Soliman K, General Manager at 11 Cadogan Gardens, responded to this review, 7 August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post such a glowing review regarding your stay at your London address No11 Cadogan Gardens. I was delighted that we met your expectations and that you enjoyed the whole experience.

I hope that you will be returning to us soon and I look forward to welcoming you back personally and I have forwarded your feedback to the team.

With renewed thanks.

Soliman Khaddour
Leiden, The Netherlands
Reviewed 17 July 2012

We had the pleasure of staying at No11 Cadogan Gardens for (unfortunately!) one night after visiting a concert in Hyde Park. The experience was absolutely fantastic; the decor is stunning and something I have never seen before in a boutique hotel, staff is friendly and knowledgeable, rooms are spacious and light (we stayed in a suite), bathroom is kitted out with Molton Brown and breakfast is delicious!
When we return to London we will make sure to rebook with this gem!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple

With renewed thanks.

Soliman Khaddour
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2012

We were truly looking forward to our stay in one of the small luxury hotels of the world, we have never been disappointed up until now, the room that we were given initially was smaller than my closet at home, there was no wardrobe, only a piece of curtain on a rail and the bathroom was even tinier. The look of disappointment of my face must have been apparent as the member of staff who had shown us to our room said she would go and see if she could move us. The new room could have done with a full refresh, it was tired and shabby, but was at least double the size of the previous room. The elevator stopped that night and that evening we had to use the stairs to get to the third floor. Again the following morning it still wasn't working and it's quite precarious having to carry luggage down. I felt truly let down as its a treat to go London and what should have been an enjoyable experience was a disappointment.

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Rachel F
, General Manager at 11 Cadogan Gardens, responded to this review, 16 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of No11 Cadogan Gardens, I am most grateful for your feedback, albeit disappointed not to read of a more positive experience.

As a slightly older building, we do have a wide cross section of styles, shapes and sizes of accommodation and we do offer our guests a complimentary upgrade whenever possible, but unfortunately on this occasion we were very restricted due to the high occupancy.

On a more positive note, every rooms is totally different at No11 Cadogan Gardens and soon we will undergo a light refurbishment programme to improve the standard of some of the interiors and I sincerely hope you return to stay with us again to try some different rooms.

I am very sorry that your overall experience was not as positive as that of others on this site and would ask you to please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.
rechovot
Reviewed 11 July 2012

We arrived at the hotel and were immediately given our room. We had reserved a Jr. Suite. It was on the 4th floor and the elevator was broken, so we had to make our way up 4 flights of very steep stairs. The room could have been lovely, but was in a state of disrepair, complete with a whole in the wooden floor. The bathroom was beautiful, but there was no room to put any clothing: no drawers or shelves. The next AM we requested a change of room and we were givedn another room on the second floor. This room was perfect, but it was a deluxe room, not a Jr. Suite. The elevator was fixed, but it only worked from the first floor up, so one flight of steps neede to be climbed. We are in reasonable shape, but I wonder what happens to those who aren't. We expected more from this hotel, based on the price and the reviews.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room on a low floor if you don't want to tackle the steps. Make sure you get...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank yagoodi
, General Manager at 11 Cadogan Gardens, responded to this review, 16 July 2012

I am terribly sorry regarding the lift which was repaired that afternoon, and further measures have been put in place to avoid such a mechanical error from occurring again.

Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 10 July 2012

We booked this hotel through a Jetsetter deal. I am not sure I'd pay the full price, but for what we paid, I am glad we stayed here. The elevator was broken when we were there, and there were some issues with a lost key when we checked in (they changed the lock, and gave us a new key). Otherwise, everything was good - room was quirky (old photos of celebrities on the wall, flower-patterned wall paper and curtains), spacious, and clean; the exterior of the hotel was beautiful; and location was lovely and convenient to the Sloane Square tube stop, from which we explored other areas of London during our three days there.

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
west yorkshire, uk
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I stayed at Cadogan Gardens for one night, shortly after the hotel had been taken over by new management. I was chatting to the staff about the improvements that they had in the pipeline and they all sounded very positive - they'll be nice additions to an already charming and eccentric boutique hotel. The staff I encountered were all very helpful and welcoming and the breakfast was delicious and of superb quality (they serve it in a gorgeous breakfast room with tiered stands just like you'd get with afternoon tea). The location is superb - on a quiet leafy street just one minute from Sloane Square. If you like clean lines and minimal, modern hotels, then this probably isn't the one of you, but if you're looking for quirky character and personality in a friendly, discreet hotel with a top location - then it's a great choice and it seems like it's only going to get better and better.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple