“Great Hotel for All”

Ranked #487 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel for All”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

The hotel is in a great location, very close to Shepards Bush Tube stations and Westfield shopping centre. The hotel is very clean, modern and the staff are of a high quality. Then again what do you expect from Hilton? I will be staying there again. It's my first pick for a London Hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (578)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 13 October 2013

So we went for a deluxe double, for just me and my parter at £159. This was the cheapest and most acceptable hotel we could get at shot notice! To be honest, its not terrible for the money, but it could be better. I expected a more modern bathroom at the least, it had a cheap 99p shower curtain and you could see the sealant was so old on the bath it was starting to detach. The food was majorly over priced. £16 for a pizza, that definitely didn't taste fresh. Although it was nice, it was so expensive id rather venture out in the rain next time and find a restaurant nearby! The location couldn't be better! and parking was £25 (extortionate but cheap for london) Bed was comfy, and had a really quiet nights sleep, i could hear people in the corridor but no one in the rooms around, so i was definitely happy about that, because its in such a busy part of shepherds bush.

Overall, i was maybe over expecting, so 3 stars, average.
Also, wish i had a view of the city, we were instead overlooking a very industrial rooftop.

2 Thank Lauren D
kevin_byrnes1, Director of Operations at Hilton London Kensington, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of your stay with us on Tripadvisor.

I have noted your comments for areas of improvement and will ensure they are passed on to my team to improve. I hope on your next stay in the area you choose to stay with us again.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Checking in went smoothly, executive room exceeded expectations. Executive lounge with free drinks and nibbles was a lovely was to begin the evening. Location was great. Friendly helpful staff. Had a lovely relaxing weekend in London

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

King's Lynn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2013

My husband and I were going to a concert at the Royal Albert Hall on this night. I had booked in advance online. This hotel came up as a good location for us getting to the concert venue as well as for going shopping in Oxford street the next day? On completing the online booking form direct on the hotels website, a pop up window said if you would like the option to upgrade on the day from a double room to a double deluxe room to tick the box. On arrival at the hotel you can then pay £20 extra if there is a double deluxe available. On checking in I was told that there was so I paid the extra. You were supposed to get a better room with free wifi in the room and a dressing gown and slippers as extras over and above a standard double room. I had to phone reception to get a password and was told that free wifi in the room was not included despite the website saying it was but that (as if they were doing me a favour), they would allow me to have the password. There was only 1 set of dressing gown and slippers and the same person said they would bring another set up and they never did. The mini bar door wouldn't open. We had drinks and a snack before going to the concert in the hotel bar. I requested a Campari and lemonade, by husband had a beer. The waitress asked me if I wanted a single or a double, I said single. The beer arrived and was fine, however I was presented with a glass full of ice with a straw and a small bottle of lemonade. I mentioned that there was no Campari in the glass and the waitress apologised and said she forgot and went back with my glass and added it. When we came back from the concert we had a nightcap and coffee. Despite there being only about 6 people including us in the bar, it took ages to get served because the waitress and the waiter (both who had been attending to us earlier) were taking forever to count up the money in the till. The waiter asked us what we wanted and said he would ask the other waiter to bring our drinks to us. He carried on counting the money with the waitress and chatting and didn't ask the other waiter until about 5 minutes later to pour the large Drambui on ice for me and the vodka martini for my husband. It took ages for the he drinks to arrive and I had watched the barman make them and leave them sat there on the bar whilst he then wondered off collecting a couple of dirty glasses, then he went out the back bringing out clean ones and began slowly stacking them, all the time the ice is melting away in my drink. He then gets the other waiters eye, who is still with the waitress, gesturing him to make the coffee and bring the drinks to us. Most of the ice had melted by the time it eventually made its way across the room and I ended up with a very watery Drambui instead of a nicely chilled Drambui over ice. I had asked for coffee with cream and the water brought semi skimmed milk which I had seen him poor from the bottle into the jug. I asked if it was cream as I had requested when he brought it over and he said yes. I poured it in and said to him. This is milk and not cream. His reply was that some people called it cream. He took it away and remade it and brought cream this time in a jug big enough for 20 cups of coffee. The coffee was cold. All in all not the kind of experience I expected at a Hilton Hotel. I felt we might as well have been in a travel lodge. My advice, eat out as the bar food isn't great and took about 30 minutes for a prawn Caesar salad and a burger to arrive from time of ordering with no one else ordering food ( just after 6 pm). The main restaurant isn't open early enough in the hotel if you are going to a concert. Don't bother with the upgrade as there is no difference, it's a waste of an extra £20. Wait at the bar if you are ordering drinks so that you can make sure you get them quickly and before all of the ice has melted into your drink, ruining it! Big training issues in this hotel.

Dear Reviewer,

I am disappointed to read that your stay was not as you would have expected and I have passed the comments to my Food & Beverage Manager to investigate and carry out the required training. We have a team of Duty Managers on site at all times who would be more than happy to discuss your stay with you and find solutions to any problems you may encounter during your time with us and I am sorry on this occasion we were not able to do offer this.

Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 13 October 2013

It was our 7th year at the Hilton, and thought the standard of the room was poor, bathrooms need upgrading, Bed did not have a base, and the towels were grey and rough, a face cloth now and then, need 3 pillows, not at all like the pictures shown. Lot of money for rooms not good value for
money unlike north America. Great Location and good Breakfast. After the 5th night was really pleased to be checking out I am afraid it will be the last time.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jenroy911
Dear jenroy911,

I am disappointed to read that your stay was not as you would have expected and I have passed the comments to my Executive Head Housekeeper to investigate and carry out the required training. We have a team of Duty Managers on site at all times who would be more than happy to discuss your stay with you and find solutions to any problems you may encounter during your time with us and I am sorry on this occasion we were not able to do offer this.

Germany
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Good to reach from Heathrow, the hotel is close to all Kensington and Chelsea points of interests with plenty of restaurants and bars in the vicinity. Located halfway between two tube stations (Shepherds Bush and Holland Park) it takes a 10-15 minutes walk to reach either. Except during rush hours, taxis are easily flagged in front of the hotel (Holland Park Avenue).
Rooms are small but convenient with nothing missing. With 600 rooms breakfast tend to be quite a crowded affair with some waiting time for your beverage while the self service buffet is on hand. Choices and quality there are okay but not outstanding. Serving staff can be abrupt at times. What is missing outside regular meal hours is a coffee shop type of restaurant, surprisingly missing in such a large place.
It's possible though to order quite acceptable snacks at the bar throughout the day. The Front Office and Concierge personnel is efficient, friendly and of great assistance if required.
Overall a good experience and certainly recommendable.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near ice makers
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Dear umhlanga,

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed my team and facilities during your stay. I hope on your next stay in the area you choose to stay with us again. I have noted your comments for areas of improvement and will ensure they are passed on to my team to improve.

Southwell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 October 2013

I booked into the Hilton Kensington for one night while attending an exhibition in London. The hotel is well situated with tube stations Shepherd's Bush and Holland Park just minutes away. Although on quite a busy road the hotel room was quiet and as a Hilton Gold member I was upgraded to an executive suite which was very good. All the staff I met were extremely helpful and courteous. The Executive Lounge was really good with drinks and canapes in the early evening and a good choice at breakfast time. I will certainly stay here again.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business