“Not Bad - Good Location”

Hilton London Kensington
Ranked #505 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Newcastle
“Not Bad - Good Location”
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Not a bad Hilton, good location,right smack in the middle of Shepherds Bush, pushing it a bit calling it the Hilton Kensingnton!!! But if it was called the Hilton Shepherds Bush, probably no one would stay there.

Which is unfair on Shepherds Bush, as it is one of the liveliest areas of London, without the London Centre RIP OFF Prices.

Hotel itself is pretty good, rooms are OK reasonable size, reasonable decor.

Exec Lounge pretty big and very busy, great staff in there, know how to look after you, and it is run as an Exec Lounge should be.

Location, very good, lots to do around the immediate area, literally across the road from the Tube all in all not a bad Hotel

Would stop there again

Good value for money

Room Tip: Good on all fronts - haggle about room rate
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Hilton-Kensington, General Manager at Hilton London Kensington, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Dear Howie999,

I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed your recent business stay with us and I must thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

In addition to our fantastic team members, our location is another reason our guests keep returning. Based in West Kensington, we are in close proximity to a variety of famous landmarks, as well as great parks and the transport links from our doorstep take you anywhere you want to go. In addition, our guests can travel with their cars and use our secure underground car park without having to pay a congestion charge as we are located outside of the Congestion Zone.

Once again, thank you for your kind feedback and we very much hope to see you back at Hilton London Kensington soon.

Linda Griffin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (595)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I have stayed at this property many times over the last 5 years. It became my hotel of choice when in London mainly due to the excellent executive lounge and constant recognition of Gold Hilton status with room upgrades etc.

All that seemed to change on my last visit in January 2014. No recognition whatsoever of my Gold status, despite being a published guaranteed benefit of the programme. I even asked if my hhonors number was on the reservation and was simply told yes it was.

The executive lounge which was once a restful area with very good offerings for afternoon tea and evening canapés had turned into a crowded, noisy room with limited food. I suspect the overcrowding is mainly because the hotel is now selling access at check-in so one person in a group buys access and then lets the others into the lounge for the evening drinks. Whatever the reason it's not good to have people standing around and rushing to grab seats as people leave. The food offerings were far poorer than on previous visits last year with very limited choices and quantity with most of the evening food being fried - tiny spring rolls, samosas etc. Only 1 vegetarian and 1 non-vegetarian choice now.

The good point is that although small, the rooms are generally clean and well maintained. The junior suites I have been upgraded to on previous stays were excellent. Location is also good both for Westfield Shepherds Bush shopping centre and central London with Oxford street being a 10 min tube ride on the central line.

Breakfast buffet is generally good but expensive if not included in your room rate.

In summary if you don't have Hilton status and can get a decent B&B rate this is a good hotel. If you have status and expect to received published benefits then look elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank hzv5wk
Dear hzv5wk,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor.

I was most disappointed to learn that you feel the hotel is not meeting your expectation. I was even more disturbed to learn that as a HHonors member, you felt that you were not recognised as one. With regards to the Executive Lounge, we do indeed provide our guests with the option of purchasing access as a supplement to their rate . However, this is limited and we have a procedure in place whereby the receptionist within the lounge allows only those entitled to access to enter however we will follow this up to ensure the privileges are not being abused. We are delighted to upgrade our Gold and Diamond members HHonors to the next available room type when availability permits. Regretfully we are not always able to facilitate this privilege due to high occupancy but we try our utmost to do so.

On a more positive note, I must thank you for your continued loyalty to our hotel and kind comments. It is always great to hear when a guest chooses Hilton London Kensington as their base and home away from home and I am just sorry that on your last stay, we failed to meet your expectations.

We very much hope that you give us an opportunity to restore your faith in our hotel and look forward to welcoming you back.

Lincs
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Hotel is located within walking distance of Shepherds Bush tube station on the Central Line, and also on a main bus route to Oxford Street. It is also very close to Westfield Shopping centre if you need some retail therapy, or wanted to sample one of the myriad of restaurants located there.

The hotel itself has a large lobby, and a very nice bright lobby bar. The room was a little on the small side (this is London after all), but it was functional and clean. The room had air conditioning which seemed to work OK, but I wasn't there in the summer so can't tell how good it would be then. There are ice machines on each floor, which is always a nice touch.
Our rate included a buffet breakfast served in their large nicely laid out restaurant, and it was pretty good with plenty of choice of both hot and cold items. The bacon was cooked nice and crispy, the scrambled eggs were soft and creamy, and the sausages were of good quality.

Overall a very nice stay in a good location for transport links and shopping. We paid around £100 per night including breakfast, which for London is OK. Whether I would wholeheartedly recommend this hotel would depend on what deal you are offered at the time.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear KevJ,

I was delighted to learn that you and your partner had a great weekend with us in February. I must thank you for your kind words.

Our aim at Hilton London Kensington is to ensure that each and every guest feels cared for, valued and respected. I am pleased that the team delivered our standard first class service to you both and we all very much look forward to welcoming you back when you are next down in London!

sydney, Australia
Reviewed 5 March 2014

the staff make this hotel they are great and really look after guests the rooms were ok except for the smell of smoke coming from the vents and the heating not working over all though value for money and good location opposite the westfield where the restruant choice is great

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I recently had two stays here of 3-4 nights apiece. I found the desk and concierge staff to be very accommodating. I believe I was checked in by Viola the first time, who greeted me by name the next day.

The rooms are small, but well appointed and the location was very convenient. It's close enough to the Tube to get in and out of city center easily, and well situated for walking, both in very nice neighborhoods, as well as commercial areas. The stores and restaurants can either be the charm of Notting Hill in one direction, or the Westfield Mall, which is a 5 minute walk in the other. Overall it's a good way to save some money compared to more central hotels, without giving up some walking distance attractions. Plenty of great choices for dinner within a 10 minute walk.

The executive lounge was above average, with both breakfast and afternoon snacks being better than I usually see at the average Hilton in Europe. (which far surpasses the average Hilton in the U.S.)

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Bowdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2014

If you are gold or Diamond VIP with the Hilton Honors Program avoid this hotel. Over the past few years I have stayed at this Hilton properties many times but in recent visits I have noticed significant deterioration on usual Hilton service. At this point, this property ranks at the very bottom especially when it comes to service, courtesy, and amenities and looking after the loyal members of the Hilton. They consider giving you free wifi is all you get as a gold member. No upgrade, etc.
In my last visit, the room was not very clean, broken light and chair, and food selection at restaurant is very limited. For sure this is my last stay here and if you are expecting to benefit from your elite statues, then you are in a wrong place.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Service at this hotel was great. I was very jet lagged and working long hours during the time I stayed at this hotel (4 nights) so I made a mistake when I got my invoice while checking out. It didn't have the right address that would allow me to get reimbursement from my company! So I called on my return trip a week later and the young lady who took my call was very, very kind about it, and told me to pick up the reprinted new invoice from concierge. I had to wait a couple days before I could go pick it up, yet the correctly updated invoice was with concierge in a safe drawer, as promised! The concierge also called me a taxi service to the airport, and after I paid at the desk, took care to tell me to not accept any demands for 'extras' from the driver, in case he asked (He did not). Thank you so much for making my business trip easier for me.

The room I had in this hotel was very small so if you're planning to share, ask about room size first. I had the standard with a queen bed. It was also clean and tidy and well maintained, with good quality furniture. Breakfast was good, and the service staff at the restaurant excellent.

The location is great. The hotel is maybe a 5 minute walk to Westfield Mall, which has lots of good food options, good shopping (high and low end plus supermarket) and opens till late for England (10 p.m.). Shepherd's Bush station is right next to that, with the Central line straight into the City. The area felt safe enough for a woman to walk around alone at night to and from the Tube, and there were always at least two taxis at the cabstand.

I would definitely stay here again if I return to England for business.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business