“Miserable experience”

Ranked #504 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Miserable experience”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Avoid this hotel as it will depress you. Not only is it expensive, its is less 'Holand Park' and more 'shepherds bush roundabout' I bought it through Lastminute.com's secret hotels and it was over sold as a luxury 4* in Holand Park. Despite paying almost £200 per night for a room out of the city, when I asked for a large room with a view facing the front, I was given an absolutely tiny room and told 'that's normal for London', (despite the fact I stay here in hotels every week). facing the back, with a view of the air conditioning units.
I was charged extra to park my car in the hotels car park, damaged my wheels on the badly designed parking bays, charged for internet use, charged £12.50 for my breakfast cup of tea, etc., etc., The only ray of light was the concierge who was delightful, helpful and recommended an excellent indian restaurant.

Room Tip: Check into another hotel.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Mark W
Hilton-Kensington, General Manager at Hilton London Kensington, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear Mark W,

Whilst I am grateful for you taking the time to contact us following your stay, I was disturbed to learn of the poor experience and opinion you have on our hotel. At the outset, please accept my sincere apologies for any failings in service delivered during your time with us.

With regards to your room preference, I would be interested to learn whether this was a request prior to your arrival or if it was something you enquired about at check in? When we are running at high occupancy it is sometimes not possible to accommodate room location requests if those rooms have already been pre-booked or are already occupied. In addition, I am sorry that you appear to have damaged the wheels of your car when using our secure underground car park. The parking bays are all on one level and there are no raised areas surrounding them, other than the ramp into and out of the car park. With these two questions in mind, I would be grateful if you could contact my PA, Holly (holly.randall@hilton.com) in order that she can obtain further information.

We are very fortunate to be in West Kensington on Holland Park Avenue, given that we are a 5 minute walk to the amazing Westfield Shopping Centre and have excellent transport links on our door step. You are correct in that Shepherds Bush is the other side of the roundabout but we are located in Kensington W11. I am most grateful for your kind comments about our concierge team and will ensure that they recognised accordingly.

I am sure that should you return to HIlton London Kensington again in the future and provide us with your room preferences prior to your arrival, you will have a must more positive experience in a room which is right for you.

Linda Griffin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (584)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Overall

I constantly travel for work and am in hotels 3-4 nights a week clocking up over 150 room nights last year. I have stayed in the Hilton Kensington only once as my other choices were booked out.
As this is a Hilton product I knew I would be safe and get a basic standard, The hotel is right across from the shepherds bush tube station on a large roundabout. My first impression was that this was an older hotel. I arrived late at night (approx 10pm) so there was little queue at reception. There is an exec lounge but it closes at 10 so I couldn’t use that. Was checked in and given just a basic room – no upgrade but don’t always expect that as a diamond member. I was in 2218 which was a family joining room and my neighbours were so noisy i got hardly any sleep. Not my first choice of Hiltons.

Only used the breakfast and the place was packed. Usual Hilton breakfast offering. Asked for some muesli as there wasn’t any out and got looked at like I’d asked for something that was ridiculous. Waited 10 mins and then asked another manager who got it in 2 mins. Staff seemed really rushed off their feet and there was alot of dirty tables waiting to be emptied which is probably why they were so rushed.

Good breakfast choices – standard food as per other Hiltons

I stay here on a corporate rate. Ceaper than my preferred hotels but its further out and also not the same standard – for £20-30 stay closer to the centre

Sleep Quality
would have been fine except for the noisy Italian neighbours .

Cleanliness
Very clean

Location
Ok location – a little far out for my liking..

Rooms
My room was a standard Hilton room, all clean and well equipped.

General
Nice clean hotel in an OK location..

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear Iain F,

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us. Whilst I was pleased to learn that on the whole you had a pleasant stay with us, I was not so pleased to learn that you were not entirely satisfied with your time here at Hilton London Kensington.

I have taken on board your comments with regards to the service in the restaurant and conveyed this to the Food and Beverage Manager, who has asked that their apologies be linked with mine. In addition, with regards to the upgrades, as a HHonors Diamond member you do indeed receive complimentary upgrades but this is always subject to availability. I am sorry that on this occasion you were not upgraded but as I am sure you will appreciate, if we are running on full occupancy then unfortunately we are not always able to facilitate this.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to provide us with your invaluable feedback and I do hope that you choose to stay at Hilton London Kensington again in the future.

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Close to tube station and bus stops.Easy access to main shopping and theatre areas.
The rooms are clean and well equipped,and reasonable quiet considering the location.

The staff very polite and helpful

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Travelman2555,

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor. I was pleased to learn that you had a good stay with us and that our location was ideal for your needs.

I have shared your kind comments about the team with the departmental heads and we very much hope to welcome you back to Hilton London Kensington in the not too distant future.

Minneapolis
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We stayed here for a couple nights in April 2014. Check in was a little interesting. Most of the people working here seem to be from France and English is not their primary language. I did not understand the front desk person very clearly. We specifically requested a non-smoking room and they put us in a smoking room. We claled down to the front desk and got it switched but it took about 30 minutes.
Our room was small but had a lot of outlets. I love it when hotels have outlets next to the bed. I think that is a must nowadays.
I booked my hotel on Booking.com in advance and I got a good deal but right after we booked the rates were much higher. Changing 200pounds a night is rediculous for this place.
Hotel bar was nice. The gym was average size and had free weights, machines, medicane balls, and yoga mats. Also had a great steam room at Sauna.
Location is about a 2-3 block walk to the train line.
I don't have a lot to say other than I was not overly impressed being that this is a Hilton and I certainly wouldn't pay the prices that most people were paying.

Room Tip: If you want a non smoking room make sure to verify!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Robbinsdale_Runner,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your detailed feedback.

I was pleased to learn that on the whole you enjoyed your stay and all that the hotel had to offer, such as the gym, steam room and sauna and of course the bar. However I was not so pleased to note that you were inconvenienced by being allocated a smoking room when you had clearly not requested one. I will be speaking with the Front of House Manager not only about this issue, but also the matter of you not being able to understand the receptionist clearly. It is very important for our guests and team members to be able to communicate with one another. We have not received such feedback and I must apologise for any inconvenience caused and thank you for highlighting this. The hospitality industry is a fantastic way in integrating team members from around the world and indeed we have many different nationalities here at Hilton London Kensington, but I will emphasise the importance of communication to the departmental heads to avoid any future inconvenience.

I hope to welcome you back to Hilton London Kensington again in the future when you are next over from Minneapolis.

Brit abroad
Reviewed 30 April 2014

this was a very friendly hotel and all the staff were helpful The hotel was in a nice location with the 94 bus stop just outside the rooms were of a good size and very clean. I can highly recommend this hotel

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Digitalisno1,

I was delighted to learn that you had a good stay with us and that the team treat you well!

We very much hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hilton London Kensington when you are next in London and I must also thank you for your kind recommendations.

Bradford
Reviewed 29 April 2014

This hotel is poor and I am amazed it has got 4 stars. I would dispute 3. I stayed during a busy period for over £200/night in a standard room. I see others have paid less than half this recently. Fair enough to charge more when the demand is high but this was just a rip off.

The room was cramped and all low quality, tired fittings that were very dated. Even the bath was a particularly small space saver size.

From outside it was clear I was going to be disappointed. The building looks like a cheap inner city council apartment block. It is the worst piece of architecture in the area and drags the surrounding area down. It really just needs levelling. I wouldn't be surprised if it was on wind down for exactly that.

The staff were friendly and helpful, but this was so bad I am afraid this does not move it from 1 star in my opinion.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Paul-and-Marie
Dear Paul-and-Marie,

I was disturbed to learn that you were so disappointed during your recent visit.

I have taken on board your feedback with regards to the bedroom and appearance of the hotel and have shared this with the team. Hilton London Kensington was built over 40 years ago and we were the second Hilton to be opened in the United Kingdom and for that, we are extremely proud. We have also, in fact, recently undergone refurbishment works in our conference rooms and are making changes throughout the hotel.

I am pleased that the team treated you well and I do hope that the appearance of our hotel did not entirely mar your stay and I hope to welcome you both back again in the future.

scotland
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I have stayed here twice recently and would have to say it is as good as ever. Renovations appear to have finished, at least for now, which is good.
Check in is always smooth and quick especially at the HHonors desk, with rooms invariably ready prior to standard 3 pm check in time.
Rooms are small but this is London and it is only really a place to sleep. I would prefer just a shower instead of a bath shower as I am quite tall.
Exec room has good choices of food and drinks available and it appears the menus have changed over the past 6 months or so - only issue regards the amount of seafood being served at night. Just my preference but I don't like fish!!
I will certainly keep on returning.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Magicbear,

I was pleased to learn that you had yet another satisfactory stay with us and I am grateful for you taking the time to share your experience with TripAdvisor.

With regards to your preference of a shower and not a bath, I confirm that when making your reservation with us you are able to make specific requests, such as a shower, a room near the lifts, extra towels etc. Prior to your next stay, do please feel free to contact a member of the team should you have any special requirements then they will be more than happy to assist.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton London Kensington for another great stay!