“Fine for what we paid, but would not have been happy at full price” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton London Kensington

Hilton London Kensington
Ranked #472 of 1,087 Hotels in London
West Lothian, Scotland
“Fine for what we paid, but would not have been happy at full price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

I stayed at the Hilton Kensington in June on a good lastminue.com deal. For what we paid, which was less than London budget hotel price, the hotel was good. So why only three stars you ask? Well let's see if I can justify that apparently low rating...

First let's start with the good. The location was simply fantastic. On a very pleasant road just along from Kensington Palace and Gardens. For transport the hotel is just a few minutes walk from Shepherd's Bush with great connections into town on the Central Line. We were also seeing a show at the Apollo Hammersmith which was just over 20 minutes to walk. The enormous Westfield shopping complex is also on your doorstep with a large selection of shops and restaurants.

Next let's go with the average... We had a double room on the second floor. Anywhere else in the world I probably would have called the room poky, but for London it was OK. Large and very comfortable double bed, a small desk and chair, but not much floor space around. The air con was also decent. On lowest setting it kept the room nicely cool but without too much noise. There didn't seem to be much noise creeping in from the other rooms but you could hear everything from the hallway, especially closing of doors (we woke up a couple of times thinking it was our door that was opening/shutting!) and room service in the mornings. Don't expect a long peaceful lie-in. However the shower was nice and powerful with plenty of hot water at all times.

So the above would probably have meant a four star review overall, however there's a reasonable amount of bad as well. The main thing was the carpets. The lobby carpets are a bit grubby which was a little disappointing on entering an otherwise posh looking foyer. However the bedroom carpet was absolutely filthy. Completely stained all over from various substances. Such a shame as the linen and rest of the room was clean. Beyond rescue the carpet badly needed to be replaced and I didn't like putting my clothes down on it, it was that dirty.

The shower room was cramped and poorly ventilated, smelling damp and a little mouldy. The shower itself didn't drain properly which I never like - I don't like having my feet in "backwash" from the drain. The cleaners were also somewhat mean with shower gel - only one miniature each day. Given there were two of us in the room this wasn't enough, particularly if you wanted to shower in the morning and again before heading out in the evening. Also there was no toilet brush which I find an odd omission.

I have an ongoing dislike of otherwise decent hotels (who's walk up price is in excess of £200 per night) wanting to charge for wireless internet, particularly as it inevitably turns out to be slow and unreliable. Sadly the Hilton was no different, with free wifi only available in the foyer. Honestly, free wifi these days is a requirement alongside running hot water. Basic wifi should be free across the property, potentially with a charge for faster, more reliable internet.

Then there was the view. Our room had a view across the flat roof at the back of the property. Now I have absolutely no problem with this, I wasn't expecting a stunning view. However the roof has accumulated rubbish and looked particularly shabby. It wouldn't take much to pick up the litter and sweep it clean regularly. Again for such a posh hotel having such a grim, litter strewn view from the window is disappointing.

Finally there was the TV. Hotels can be particularly incompetent with technology. In this hotel they are taking a digital widescreen signal, chopping it to 4:3, and then distributing it over poor quality analogue cables to widescreen TVs. This may not make sense to some, but in essence it meant that on your widescreen TV in the room you get a fuzzy chopped 4:3 picture (if you want correct aspect ratio). Particularly bad for watching the World Cup that was on - the game time at the top left is chopped off. Distribution should be digital and widescreen native. Honestly it was like being back in the 70s with fuzzy, small 4:3 screens and a poor selection of channels.

So actually those 3 stars are now seeming generous rather than mean. On the deal we got (which ended up cheaper than most budget London hotels) I can't complain too much. However at anything approaching regular price this hotel is simply not up to the standard I expect from a Hilton. When I compare it to Park Plaza Westminster where I stayed on my last trip to London (and is similarly priced for normal advance rates) this Hilton hotel simply isn't in the same ballpark. Overall I can't see me retuning to this hotel again unless a full room refurbishment is guaranteed.

Room Tip: Probably worth the extra to upgrade to a deluxe room, the standard double room is pretty poor.
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank tike1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (559)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

We stayed again at the Kensington Hilton, having not been there for several years, and were very pleased. It has been considerably updated and the rooms were freshly redecorated. As usual with Hilton hotels, the rooms are very clean and the beds comfortable. I see from some of the other reviews that people found their rooms dated, etc. but the updating programme is ongoing and the public areas have already been done. The buffet breakfast is huge and (are there are free computers and printers for guests in the main lobby (Apple and PC). We mostly used the Executive Lounge, in our opinion worth upgrading your room to get access to, as we used it on and off all day for coffee/tea mid-morning, afternoon tea from 3pm-6pm and drinks, hot food and a variety of cold dishes from 6pm - 8.30pm - all included in the price of the room. The 94 and the 148 buses stop right outside, and either Holland Park or Shepherds Bush (for the Westfield Shopping Centre) are each about 10 minutes walk away. Bearing in mind the sky-high cost of rooms in London, this is very good value and it is easy to get to anywhere in London.

Room Tip: Rooms with windows facing Holland Park Avenue are noisier than the side rooms.
1 Thank bonnie1985
Hilton-Kensington, General Manager at Hilton London Kensington, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear bonnie1985,

I was delighted to learn that following several years since staying with us last, you were not disappointed with your recent return visit. Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with TripAdvisor.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel again in the near future!

Llanelli, Wales, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

Written on behalf of daughter who went to see one direction in concert

unbelievable rooms very clean and tidy and staff where really friendly, polite and very very helpful. I stayed with friends and we all really enjoyed our stay and the concert was amazing. The staff even helped us plan our journey to watch 1D. Room service was exceptional.

We hope to be staying again later in the year and hope we have as much fun as this trip.

Room Tip: higher floors are definately the best
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear gazza118,

I was so pleased to read that your daughter and her friends had a great stay with us when they were recently in London to see One Direction. I must thank both you and your daughter for taking the time to provide us with her feedback. I am glad the team looked after them.

We look forward to welcoming them all back in the future for another fun filled trip!

Ashby de la zouch, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

the hotel is clean, the staff are very good, and the cost very competitive for London. The hotel is not in Kensington as the title suggests, but is actually in Shepard's Bush two minutes from the Westfield Centre. Would go back.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Mark T,

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor following your recent stay with us. I was pleased to learn that you had a good stay and that you would come back in the future.

We are very fortunate to be in the location that we are, being West Kensington in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. We are outside the congestion zone, have fantastic transport links at our doorstep and are a stone’s throw from the famous Westfield Shopping Centre, which is one of the biggest in Europe. In addition, we have some of London’s most beautiful parks within walking distance of the hotel.

Many thanks again for sharing your experience with everyone on TripAdvisor. We look forward to seeing you back at Hilton London Kensington soon!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed in this hotel in a double room while on a business trip to London. I am a frequent business traveler so get to stay in a lot of hotels. The hotel in itself was clean, organised, odour free and had polite staff. Everything about the hotel feels like a normal generic hotel with nothing exceptional or memorable to talk about.

The double room was smaller to be considered a double room in my honest opinion. Another problem is transportation. The nearest train station is 5 mins walk away but what isn't obvious is that there are only 3 tube trains in every hour which is quite a turn off if you want to get to the office in the morning on time. If I knew this fact I wouldn't have stayed in the hotel.

In conclusion, if you're after a casual, ordinary and somewhat mechanical experience this would suffice else you shouldn't stay here.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear NewmanAK,

I was sorry to learn that you were not entirely satisfied with your recent business stay here at Hilton London Kensington. Please accept my sincere apologies for any disappointment caused.

With regards to your difficulties with transportation, I was very sorry when I read that you would have chosen to stay elsewhere having known the 5 minute walk. We are, in fact, extremely lucky to have such fantastic and easily accessible transport links from our doorstep. We have Shepherds Bush Overground and Central Line Underground stations to our left, to our right we have Holland Park Central Line Underground and we have bus stops directly outside our hotel (a total of 7 different busses). In addition to this, we have a taxi rank outside where you can catch a black cab or pre-book with our concierge team, a rental car company booth in our hotel as well secure underground parking for those travelling to us by car. Perhaps if you stay with us again, you could ask our concierge team for some help as they know everything there is to know about London, especially transport links.

We hope to see you back at Hilton London Kensington again in the future.

Goettingen, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

The hotel is just fine, although you should not expect too much. The room was rather small, but the beds not so bad. Everythig very clean. Its location is not perfect but the hotel is well connected with the city (Shepher's Bush just on the other side of the roundabout, very nice wine bar nearly). If you don't mid a bit longer walks it's perfect (Notting Hill just few minutes away, Kensington Garden and Hyde Park relatively close). We walked one day from the hotel to the St. Paul's Cathedral, with many alternations on the way, and back to Hilton, so the long distance might be differently understood...

Keep in mind that the connection with London's airports (particularly with London City) is rather bad in that sense that you need more time to get there.

I cannot honestly say anything bad about the place. I think as for London and its prices this choice is just fine. I can recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear me_not_likey,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback following your stay with us. I was pleased that on the whole, you and your friends had a pleasant stay with us and that you were able to enjoy all that our wonderful city had to offer!

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back one day soon when you are next visiting from Germany!

Inverness, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

The hotel was clean, nice and had spacious rooms. However I was very disappointed with having to pay for wifi! With the amount I was paying for the room, free wifi wouldn't have been too hard to give. The air con in the room worked wonders however the hair-dryer and the tv remote were broken. I feel I paid far too much for what I got. Being able to leave our baggage there however was a big plus. The hotel was in a fantastic location for central London and for shopping and bars. I wouldn't stay here again but the hotel had a lot of plus points!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family