“Ok ”

Hilton London Kensington
Ranked #515 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel is in a nice location and centrally located. The street is rather busy but it is fine. The building is dated but the rooms were fine. My only issue was that access to the executive lounge was said to be based on the rate I paid rather than my Hilton Honors status. I had to pay an upgrade fee to access the lounge which again is ok but not great. I have other favorite mid-priced hotels in London where I feel more welcomed and my status as a frequent traveller is rewarded.

Stayed: March 2014
Hilton-Kensington, General Manager at Hilton London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear mjanerose,

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor. We appreciate you taking the time provide us with your feedback.

I was disappointed to learn that you felt you were not recognised as a frequent traveller and by this, I am assuming you are referring to the Hilton Honors program. I have highlighted this with our reception team because all of our guests should receive the warm and friendly welcome which we pride ourselves on and our HHonors member should of course be recognised for their loyalty to us.

Once again, thank you for your invaluable feed and we very much hope to welcome you back to Hilton London Kensington in the future.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

This should be a four star rating, as I have two small subtractions - which I'll get to in a moment - but the service and cleanliness leads me to five.

Stay here because: it's bright, welcoming, friendly staff offered options for which room we'd like (booked two twin beds, stayed on the 3rd floor overlooking Holland Park Avenue), and an exceptionally helpful staff. We misplaced our umbrella, and housekeeping brought all of the ones they found for us to see if ours was included. Clean and comfortable rooms, and they tidied up, as well as restocked everything each day (we stayed three nights).

Super bonus points: our luggage was delayed at Dublin, and while I could not get anyone to call me back from the airline, the concierge, Tim, went above and beyond - and found out when our luggage would be delivered (albeit 48 hours after our arrival - but that's Air Canada's fault... Don't get me started on them.) Tim talked to the baggage gents for us a few times, and updated us regularly. When the baggage arrived, I offered to kiss him - but he declined. I digress. Without his help, our bags would still be in Dublin...

For the naysayers: I agree, paying for wi-fi is a joke, especially because this was our most expensive hotel of our 10 day trip. So, we used the common area computers which was fine. Breakfast is not included, and expensive if you add it on. However, they have lots of tea and coffee, and mini fridge in the room - and there is a TESCO nearby. We bought apples, scones, and almonds to have with our tea/coffee every morning, dining at the table in our room. Also, I've seen others say it is "too far" from the tube. I suppose less than a quarter mile is "too far"?! It's very close to the Shepherd's Bush Station, on the District line. If you feel like walking "far", head down about a half mile to the Holland Park Station. If you are fluent in bus timetables, the stop is directly in front of the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Ingrid D

Dear Ingrid D,

I was delighted to learn that you had such an excellent stay with us and am most grateful for you sharing your experience on TripAdvisor!

I have shared your kind comments with the whole team here, especially Tim who was thrilled that he was able to assist in not letting your delayed luggage mar your stay. He will certainly be receiving the recognition he deserves, even if not a kiss!

With regards to our internet connection, I confirm we have a number of options available to our guests. Firstly there is complimentary wifi in the public areas and, as you know, we have the new computers at the connectivity station. In addition, for those with access to the Executive Lounge there are also computers in there which are connected to the internet. If you are a Hilton Honors member, which is our loyalty reward program, you will also receive complimentary internet in your bedroom when you are either a Gold or Diamond member, as well as other great benefits. If you are not already a member then one of our receptionists would be more than happy to assist you in enrolling the free, non-obligatory program.

We very much hope to see you and your family back at Hilton London Kensington in the future.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I was generally impressed with the level of service and accommodation at the Hilton Kensington. The rooms and lobby are starting to look a little dated, but this was of no matter. A couple of things in the room like slightly noisy air conditioning and a fridge that did not open were slight annoyances but they did not detract from an overall good impression of the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear C P,

I was pleased to learn you had a positive experience with us and am most grateful for you sharing your feedback with us.

I have shared your feedback with the team and have highlight the concerns you raise with regards to the noise of the air conditioning unit. With regards to the mini bar, I confirm that access to this is operated remotely from Reception and when we do not have a pre-authorisation from a guest or unless specifically requested, the mini bars will remain locked. Perhaps if you return to stay with us you can inform us of your desire to have it open or alternatively, if you are looking to keep any personal items cool then we would be more than happy to provide you with a small fridge in your bedroom.

We very much hope to see you back at Hilton London Kensington in the near future.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Very good location, neat and clean Hotel, helpful Conceirge and Reception. Checking in was very efficient and faster. Could improve the lobby computers with updated mouse and software as the browing was too slow. Breakfast was healthy and choice was amazing. Connectivity from the Hotel to any part of the city is excellent. Taxis available all through. concerige staff was extremely polite and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Sivasubramanian T,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed your time with us when you stay this month. I have shared your feedback with the team and everyone, especially kitchen, were equally as delighted to learn of your satisfaction with the hotel, team members and of course the amazing breakfast!

We very much hope to welcome you back to Hilton London Kensington when you are next visiting London.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

As a regular Hilton traveller on business, it was a first with family. Returning to my home city as an expat in Australia, I was relieved that on arrival after 27 hours on a plane with child, they gave us our room on arrival at 10am!

The good:
Early check in, speedy service, child friendly attitudes of staff, good breakfast, gym on site, access to city bus routes and transport, safe area, proximity to Westfield shopping centre (if that's your thing!), close to good child friendly restaurants and adventure playground (see my tip for kids below). Charming concierge who gave our daughter a colouring book!

The indifferent:
Rooms a bit small and tired, although (note Americans and Aussies) this is quite the norm in London. Space is a premium. Also, it's not really Kensington - more Shepherds Bush/holland Park

Child friendly tip: walk out if hotel and turn right, turn into Holland park and walk a little bit down the street into a park on the left. Keep going and you'll find a lovely, fenced and safe play area with toilets for nappy changing and a pleasant place to burn off energy! It's a well to do, safe area. Minutes walk later, you can explore Holland Park itself, with cafés and green space. Stroll further to reach high street Kensington, it borders Holland Park.

Buses: take a 148 into the city, it goes to Westminster for Big Ben and parliament. Cross Hungerford Bridge for London eye or stay on embankment for Thames cruises.

Food: Giraffe restaurant, between the hotel and Holland Park underground is great for kids and adults like. Good, fresh menu items and coffee. Brilliant service and warmth towards young children

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Britpop73
Hilton-Kensington, General Manager at Hilton London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear Britpop73,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding your family’s recent stay with us.

The detailed information you have provided is extremely useful for any future guests looking to stay with us and is much appreciated. I was delighted to learn that following your very long and tiring journey the team were able to provide you with a room and took good care of you and your daughter (I hope she liked the colouring book!)

We very much look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hilton London Kensington in the future for another brilliant stay!

Reviewed 18 July 2014

Our check-in was fast although we had to carry our luggage up ourselves despite porters being there. Their was no wireless internet service in the rooms, which we were not informed about, and is available only in the common areas. The room service extension on our phone was never answered, despite going through reception and several dishes on the menu had been removed, though the menus had not been updated for six months. The mini fridge is unlocked through a central location via the reception and they did not inform us of such after struggling to open it, when it was accessible we removed a chocolate bar that was not replaced for the entire length of our stay. It is the small things that matter when you are in a hotel and we found that it was extremely noisy. We could hear everyone banging their doors as they came in and out of their rooms and people walking up and down the corridor including the staff who frequently but accidentally knocked the cart into our door. The rooms were very clean and comfortable but squeezed for space. The washroom had a bath tub which was great. The location is excellent giving you access into London easily. The shopping mall is not far and there are a few good restaurants around. The breakfast at the hotel was far too pricey, so we frequented Neros every morning where the coffee is good.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear smatlock10,

Whilst I am most grateful for you taking the time to share your experience with us, I was disturbed to learn of the various difficulties you encountered. I must sincerely apologise for the poor service you received and can assure you that this does not reflect the usual high level of service which we deliver to our guests. I have shared your invaluable feedback with the departmental heads within the hotel and will be ensuring that further training is undertaken. We aim to ensure that each and every guest feels cared for, valued and respected but this clearly was not shown to you on this occasion and for that I am truly sorry.

I do very much hope that when you are next visiting from Nairobi you choose to stay at Hilton London Kensington again in order that we can restore your faith in our hotel.

Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and I recently stayed at the Hilton Kensington, and I must say what a refreshing hotel with excellent staff. After a long hot day working at the London Film and Comic Con, we really needed a comfortable, stress free, and quiet hotel to relax in, and as soon as we met Carl G. a front desk receptionist we knew we had come to the right place. Carl was extremely knowledgeable, helpful, and funny. With his fast service we were in our room and relaxing in no time. After which we ordered room service because we couldn't be asked to go out again, and we were glad we did, I ordered a Hilton burger, fries and a side salad, lets just say none of it survived. Lol The room was clean and well furnished, my only small complaint about the room was there wasn't a wall plug near the bedside table for my phone charger, but that's not at all a deal breaker in my eyes. We will definitely consider staying there again, whenever we're in the area.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple