“Not great”

Ranked #487 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Melbourne, Australia
“Not great”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We spent four nights there in august 2014. The room was the smallest we've ever been in since our camping days. The bed was double and took up most of the room. The fridge did not work and despite several polite requests was never fixed. The air conditioning was like sleeping next to the engine room of a ship. The room was so stuffy at night that w just had to grin and bear it. Storage space for clothing was non-existent and so we lived out of out suitcases for the duration. Never.Saw the complimentary mineral water, by the way.
In short, we were very glad to leave.

Room Tip: Don't go near it
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Russell W
Hilton-Kensington, General Manager at Hilton London Kensington, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Russell W,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I was disappointed to learn that you were not entirely satisfied with your stay. Please accept my sincere apologies for any service failings on our part.

We do have a number of different room types and so perhaps should you stay with us again, you may like to have a Deluxe or Executive Room, or of course a Suite. I am sorry that you experienced some difficulties with your air conditioning unit and I have highlighted this with our engineering team. I hope you opened the window in your bedroom as this would have made you a little more comfortable I’m sure.

We do hope that you choose Hilton London Kensington as a base when you are next over from Australia.

Linda Griffin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (578)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I stayed there for 2 nights and it was really good, with a helpful staff. Check-in took an eternity, but I got a connected room that I requested and everything was good. Internet is paid in the room, but free at the lobby. Good sleep quality. You got a bottle of mineral water as a courtesy every day, which is good. Restaurant however I would not recommend. Service is really slow, time to get our food was far too long and we just ordered pasta and pizza....Check-out was efficient.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Hilton-Kensington, General Manager at Hilton London Kensington, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Luis M,

I was so pleased to learn you had a good stay with us this month and am grateful for you taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

With regards to the poor service you received in our restaurant, please accept my sincere apologies for the slow service. I have highlighted this with our Food & Beverage Services Manager who will be working with the team to avoid this happening in the future.

We hope to welcome you back to Hilton London Kensington in the future for another satisfactory stay.

Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Stayed here for 1 night, having moved from a supposedly more budget hotel (the Hilton actually was £10/night less for a far superior room!)

Room was a good size for a central London hotel, lovely modern bathroom with excellent shower, and the bed was an absolute dream compared to the place I had moved from.

The location is very pleasant and the proximity to Shepherd's Bush tube and overground make it really convenient for getting around - I was able to sleep in for longer than anticipated since the overground got me to work at Hampstead Heath in no time at all!

Downside was the dodgy TV reception, but I didn't come to London to watch telly anyway. Also, the cost of Wi-fi in your room is criminal, but I just parked up in the nice bar and had a couple of drinks while doing my emails etc. with the free Wi-fi there. Bar food was good, but I would have preferred to spend a little more on a proper restaurant menu.

All-in-all, it is not as nice as the Hilton Metropole or Park Lane Hilton, but it is cheaper. Extras always cost a lot at Hiltons (parking was extortionate, as you would expect in Kensington), but the great value of the room price made up for that. Would definitely stay here for work again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Dear Louis H,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback following your stay with us. I was delighted that overall you had a great stay with us, but that there were unfortunately a few things which prevented your stay from being perfect.

I have shared your feedback with the whole team and we all very much hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hilton London Kensington for what I hope will be a perfect stay.

Fleet, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Standard Hilton affair
You stayed at one, you've stayed at them all - a statement I have made before about my Hilton stays and this one is no different

Check in and check out was conducted with no fuss
Room was clean
Breakfast was plentiful - staff coped fairly ok considering how full it was

What is great about this one though is its location
Not central, but that makes it more affordable out of the London Hilton range
It is a mere 5-10 min walk from the nearest tube station (Shepherds Bush - Central line, the red one), which is also about 6 stops from Oxford Circus
And if you know the area well, you will know that it's next to the Westfield behemoth shopping centre

Useful Tip: if you arrive by car, save money on parking and park at the Westfield Centre......£9 for 24hrs on the weekend, cheaper during the week

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear j100lok,

I am grateful for you taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor, following your recent stay with us. I was pleased to learn that you had a satisfactory stay with us but that you felt our hotel was that of a standard one. Our aim here at Hilton London Kensington is to go the extra mile for our guests and to ensure that they feel cared for, valued and respected and I hope that we demonstrated this to you during your time with us.

I am confident that should you return to our hotel, you will see that we have a lot of offer and provide our guests with a unique, tailored and personalised service.

Greenwich, Connecticut
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

After getting to hotel and having no room ready, was given a room that was a) size of closet and b) not too clean. Asked to change and was told ok, but only at 3pm. (I arrived at 8am). Ok.. Not ideal but had my meetings. Came back at 430 to find out maintenance was in my new room as door was broken and it would take at least 1 hr. Why would they give me a room that was defective. Back to front desk and admittedly, only good service was by front desk who immediately apologized and gave me another room. Not to be a pain, but 3 rooms in a day is not what I was expecting. You would think you get a room and it's clean and comfortable to sleep and work. Received a fruit basket as apology. If it were not for location close to Shepherds Bush, doubt would stay there again. Quite disappointing. Oh and forgot to mention, don't try to call concierge, front desk or operators from room. Out of my multiple calls I only had 2 people answering. Gave up pretty fast on expecting anything better from hotel. Hilton has definitely fallen from its glory days

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Susanna_Sm2
Dear Susanna_Sm2,

I was sorry to learn that you felt our hotel was below average and at the outset, please accept my apologies for any failings on our part.

I am sorry that the room your were initially accommodated in at 8am was all we had available at that time of the day following the very high business volumes - this being said, there is no excuse for the cleanliness and I do apologise that the effort of the team to get you settled early was in fact not effective.
I was also sorry to learn that upon arriving in your second room, a member of our maintenance team was in there making right a fault. Given that you had requested a room move, the team wanted to ensure that everything was perfect in your second room however clearly the timing was wrong.
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your invaluable feedback. I do hope that you give us the opportunity to redeem ourselves and that we see you return to Hilton London Kensington.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Very nicely situated, service great, clean and quiet. Near underground station (5-10 min. walk) and bus stop in front of the hotel. Many restaurants and shops at walking distance. Would definitely return.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Sylvie B,

I was delighted to learn that you had an excellent stay with us and that you will be returning in the future!

The team have also read your kind comments on TripAdvisor and they are equally pleased with your satisfaction. We all very much look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton London Kensington when you are next visiting from Canada!

Phx
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Great location, 2 bloca from train station and Close to lots of shops and restaurants! Staff was friendly and hotel was clean. The only downfall is the rooms are small which is standard in Europe. Would stay again.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Jenna456,

Thank you for posting review on TripAdvisor following your stay with us in July. I was pleased to learn that the team treated you well and that overall you had a positive experience with us. Should you return to stay with us in the future, perhaps you may like to book one of our Deluxe or Executive Rooms? They are larger than the standards and when booking an Executive Room, this will also in turn grant you exclusive access to our Executive Lounge which provides a wealth of complimentary food and drinks.

We very much hope to welcome you back to Hilton London Kensington soon!”