“Nice room, shame about the plumbing” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton London Kensington

Hilton London Kensington
Ranked #471 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Cheddar, United Kingdom
“Nice room, shame about the plumbing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

Before complimenting the room, I want to take issue with the hotel's name. It can only be called the Kensington on a technicality IMHO. It is located in Holland Park, way outside Kensington itself, and barely 100 metres inside the boundary of the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. It is right next to Shepherds Bush, but in truth that's a positive thing because you have a convenient tube station and railway line close by. It's also a relatively short walk to Holland Park tube station.

Reception staff were friendly and efficient despite being very busy at checkin due to a bus load of American tourists arriving. We also had a positive experience at checkout.

The hotel room was comfortable, quiet and cool, with good quality bedding. We had a great night's sleep, albeit I would have preferred a king- to a queen-sized bed. What really surprised me was the quirky plumbing - I've probably spent over 1,000 nights in hotels in my 50 years yet I have never seen such a bizarre over-bath shower before. It took me a good few minutes to work out how to get water to come out of the shower head. The shower pipe also had a serious leak, yet despite calling housekeeping prior to going out for the evening it wasn't fixed. Luckily it wasn't noisy so it didn't affect our sleep.

Our room (4th floor at the back of the hotel) had a really fast wifi connection courtesy of BT Openzone. I'm not sure if this came from the hotel itself or a neighbouring property but it worked well. I therefore didn't connect to and can't comment on the other wifi networks in the hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MikeyTheBikey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (559)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bengaluru, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

Negatives: Room size is extremely tiny and if you plan to spend time watching TV in your room, well the telecast is not clear.. especially in days when you have LED/LCD TV's everywhere.. the huge TV with a bad reception is a shock.. (I was there during the Soccer world cup and was extremely disappointed with this)

Positives: Staff is extremely courteous and pleasant. Reception/ House Keeping and concierge everyone was nice.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 4 nights with a friend in a twin room- it was tiny! Could not even open our suitcases fully without putting them on the beds. Bathrooms felt grimy and the whole place could do with a makeover. Staff were unpleasant and made you feel as though they were doing you a favour just to do their jobs. To top it off wifi was only complimentary in the lobby so you would see many people loitering. On the positive side, the hotel is only 150 metres away from the underground, overground and London Westfield. Would not stay again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

We noted her name as she was exceptional, Christina, at the reception of Hilton Kensington was fantastic. Greeted us with a smile and made effort to make us feel very welcome. Beyond checking us in (which was smooth) Christina also offered local knowledge before we left to explore the area. The pleasant welcoming experience resonated throughout the rest of our stay as a result of receiving such high quality service at the very start of our visit.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
      Location
      Rooms
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

I stayed at Hilton Kensington some years ago and it was an awful experience. My recent booking was an error - I'd forgotten about the previous visit. So my expectations weren't high at all upon arrival, and my stay was a very pleasant surprise.

My room was pleasant, overlooking Holland Park Avenue, yet not noisy. Amenities all good - standard Hilton issue. My 4 night stay was relaxed and pleasant, with all staff courteous, helpful and friendly during a period the hotel was very busy.

Easy access to most places via underground - about a 5 minute walk to Holland Park or Shepherd's Bush station - Central line. I go to the theatre via tube every free evening I have in London, and this worked really well for me.

After a bad past experience, I'll be back . . . .

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
      Location
      Rooms
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

Stayed here for 2nights whilst visiting family in Kensington. I have stayed at this hotel before hence my return.
The staff were friendly and helpful.
My room was clean and had everything I needed for a comfortable nights sleep.
Breakfast was good with plenty of choices.
Drinks at the bar were a bit pricey but expected in London.
Overall I was happy with my stay, plan to return in october.
Thank you!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hilton-Kensington, General Manager at Hilton London Kensington, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Gmaxx,

I was delighted to learn that you were happy with your stay with us recently and that you were also satisfied with your previous stays. The whole team have seen your review on our hotel and I think I speak on behalf of everyone when I say we very much look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton London Kensington in October!

Kind regards,

Linda Griffin
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

Arrived at this hotel at 12pm and waited until 4pm to get into our room. We are Diamond members so we were permitted to wait in the executive lounge. The executive lounge makes this hotel a great value as they offer breakfast, afternoon tea and appetizers/drinks in the evening. The Concierge was wonderful and happily provided me with directions and maps (Shepherd’s Bush tube/bus station is within walking distance). Our room reminded me of a dorm room decorated by Ikea, and much like a dorm room it needed cleaning (there was a French fry on the floor when we arrived). However, the bathroom was very clean and included a huge bathtub. All and all it was a good stay but I expected more from a category 6 Hilton property.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Dear mjames,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback following your stay with us last month. As a loyal Hilton Honors Diamond member, and having travelled within the Hilton group a lot, you will appreciate that we are not always able to provide our guests with rooms before the official check in time, being 3pm. However, we do try our utmost to ensure rooms are ready on time and I am very sorry that you had to wait one hour after check in time. I have shared your comments with our Reception team and indeed the Front of House Manager.

With regards to your room, I am sorry that you were disappointed with the size. I was disturbed to learn that you found food on the floor when you entered the room and have discussed this with our Head Housekeeper, who has asked that their sincere apologies be linked with mine.

I am thankful that you had an overall good stay with us but am disappointed that we did not meet your expectations. Hopefully should you stay with us again we will be able to exceed your expectations.

Kind regards,