“Comfort and Quiet in Central London”

Crowne Plaza London Kensington
Ranked #135 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Comfort and Quiet in Central London”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

I had the fortune to find this gem of a hotel again after staying there years ago when it was under a different name (Holiday Inn then, CP now). It is very conveniently situated next to Gloucester Rd Station and the view from the hotel towards the back is that of a quiet church and lovely surrounding gardens. I was upgraded to a Suite (due to my Platinum status) and this was large, being of duplex type, with two floors. Very quiet, well sound proofed at front which my room was facing. Beautiful bar and afternoon tea area in the main public area, wholesome and decent breakfast and very attentive and polite reception staff. Overall a very pleasurable stay and I have no hesitation in recommending it to others.

Room Tip: all rooms well furnished but for view, go for room facing the garden and church
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
GenManager_CPKen, General Manager at Crowne Plaza London Kensington, responded to this review, 7 March 2012
Dear RalphSingapore66
Thank you for your review, I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and that you liked all the changes and improvements since your last visit.
Next time you visit, I hope you will try our new restaurant, Umami, which offers a range of authentic dishes from Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore and Vietnam, in stylish surroundings with cool retro music.
Lawder Smith

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (463)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

My fiancé and I stayed 4 days, 3 nights at Crowne Plaza Kensington over last weekend. The place looks wonderful – the new renovations make the ground floor look chic and modern. The rooms are decent size and bathrooms are small but functional. The bed was very comfortable and we got great sleep while we were in London – we faced the main road and did not hear any traffic. The hotel is also very conveniently located, mere steps from the Gloucester Road tube stop. It's walking distance from the V&A, Natural History Museum, and Harrod's, and there are also a lot of pubs, cafes, stores nearby, which is nice. That’s about where the positives end.

The room (501) didn’t seem very clean. As you can see in my attached photo, they used duct tape to attach the carpet to the tile. Four star elegance at its finest! A horrible musty smell emanated from the bathroom. In the corner of the room there were a bunch of carpet stains that looked as if someone urinated on the floor. Lovely. I would have requested a room change, but staff members are borderline incompetent and give off a vibe that they truly do not want to interact with guests. Whoever has described staff members as “friendly” or “helpful” is misguided. Also, there is no ability to access wi-fi in the room. We would have gladly paid for that. At least you can get free wi-fi in the lobby, but it is rather inconvenient to have to go all the way to the lobby to check email.

About the staff – nobody will greet you when you enter the hotel. More accurately, staff will be standing idly until they see someone approach the doorway, and then they will start shuffling papers, looking things up on the computer or turn their back away…anything to keep from having to acknowledge guests. Housekeeping staff also came around at 8:30 AM one morning. Seriously? Not even people staying on business would have been out of the room by then. Our overseas power adapter broke and staff was unhelpful, telling us first to go across the street, and then upon us asking to confirm if we should get one in the arcade across the street, they treated us like idiots and told us to go to the corner post office. Only positives with staff are that they let us check in early and check out a little late, but I chalk that up more to a script they are given than them actually having decent personalities.

I got a pretty decent deal to stay here, but feel sorry for anyone who actually pays over 200 GBP a night. Management can make the exterior and lobby as pretty as they like, but this is nowhere near the four stars they claim. It served its purpose as a place to sleep, but don’t stay here if you expect any sort of luxury.

5 Thank tpc220
Dear Tpc220
I am so sorry to read of your disappointment with your stay and offer my sincere apologies for not having lived up to your expectations.
We have since your visit, opened our new recption which is now directly facing the entrance doors so that our receptionists can see guests arriving and give them a warmer welcome, rather than being tucked around ato the left of the entrance.
There are no excuses for the temporary repair to the carpet in your room and I our housekeeper has had the carpet cleaned in this room to bring it back up to the standard you would expect.
With regards internet access, we currently offer free wifi in our reception, lounge, bar and club lounge and a hard wired broadband service in the bedrooms. We are currently upgrading the bedroom service to include wifi.
I hope you will return to see these improvements.
dorset
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

We stayed at this hotel after booking it last minute and at a bargain price. We took the club upgrade, which included drinks and canapes - a lovely pre-theatre treat. Very handy for the tube and within walking distance of the museums and Harrods.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the garden
Dear Dorsettreellady
Thank you for your review, I am so pleased yo felt able to give us a 5/5 rating.
We are now upgrading our club lounge so I hope you will be back soon to experience the extra style, comfort and service that this facility now offers.
Philadelphia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

We just came back from a 5 day trip in London. Stayed in Crowne Plaza in Kensington. It is located across the street from tube station (Gloucester Road Station). A great location. Many restaurants near by. Room had two double beds. It is basic and clean. Staff was very friendly and helpful. I'd recommend it for family or vacation travellers. If you stay there, do try Cocomomo restaurant near there. Great English food at very reasonable price with good ambiance.

Room Tip: We asked for a family room since we had two adults and two kids sharing one room. The room was at co...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Dear JulianaPhiladelphia
Thank you for leaving a review following your stayu with us. I'm glad you had a good time here.
There are several restaurants very close by, of which CoCoMomo is only one, but we have now opened a new restaurant at the hotel - Umami. Umami has it's own entrance onto Cromwell Road and offers a range of authentic dishes from Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore and Vietnam, in a stylish setting with cool retro music. Why not give it a try on your next visit.
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

I stayed in the Crowne Plaza Kensington for 4 nights in February. I booked through the lastminute.com secret hotels offer after doing some research prior to booking so i knew exactly where i'd be staying. Needless to say i had relatively high hopes for this hotel. I got a club room for around 60% of the price it would've been had i booked directly through the hotel's website.

First things first, the hotel is quite literally a stone's throw from Gloucester Road tube station. The station is served by multiple lines and changing to other's is little hassle. I was in fact surprised at how easy it is to use the tube so i'd highly recommend using it if you need to get around London.

Check-in was easy, a minute or two and i was handed my key card to get in to the room. Unlike some hotels i was given two keys, one for me and one for my girlfriend, not all hotels like to do this from my experience so this was a plus point. There are signs explaining that renovation work is being carried out but it was of little bother really. I didn't make use of the lounge/breakfast/conference facilities so i can't comment on those. The bar/lounge area looked nice and clean though.

The room was good, I wouldn't say it was any smaller than expected like some people have mentioned before. The bed was huge, I think it was actually wider than it was long! There was a reasonably sized flat screen TV with Sky Sports channels and a selection of others as well as some foreign ones too. There was a decent sized desk and plug sockets, all things you'd expect from a relatively priced London hotel. The bathroom again was nice, not huge but enough space. A better shower than some i've experienced before. Toileteries were plentiful, as were towels. There was a mini bar stocked with almost definitely overpriced goods which i didn't touch along with a tiny space for your personal use, hardly enough space to put anything other than a can of coke or two. It would've been nice to have a little more room to put things in the fridge really. The air con seemed to blow warm no matter what we tried which wasn't too much of a problem since it was pretty cold but in the summer it could be a bother. I'm sure it can be controlled to cool the room too though.

Room service were excellent. On the occasions where the room was cleaned it was done to a high standard and everything was tidied up nicely. Check-out was easy and simple.

I'd stay in this hotel again if i came across another offer. It's in a good location, there are plenty of shops close-by and a big Sainsbury's supermarket a 5 minute walk down the road.

Room Tip: Do your research and book through secret hotels!
Dear FCimaloner
Thank you for your review of our hotel. We are all really pleased that you enjoyed your stay so much. The rennovation work that you mentioned, is now complete - in the last 3 months we have completely refurbished our restaurant, bar, lounge, reception and front hall. I hope you will be back soon to experience the changes. (You can always find great deals on our own website too )
Farnborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

I stayed at the crowne plaza with my boyfriend for one night in January. Location is great for all the museums, science, history and the V&A are only a five to ten minute stroll down the road. The tube station is just across the road and you can be in Leicester square etc within ten minutes.

Our rooms was lovely, we were expecting a double bed but we got two double beds in our room! this was lovely. Bathroom was lovely and the room was vey clean.

we did not eat at the hotel but we had a drink in the bar in the eve and it was very pleasant and a nice cosy relaxing atmosphere.

I only have one complaint and that was that the guy on reception was not the most welcoming, he was pleasant enough but during our check in he picked up the phone twice for a conversation and just left us waiting and then gave us our room key card and didnt point us in any direction to our room.

I would definatly recommend this hotel for a vbreak away in the city though.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jojo739
Dear Jojo739
Thank you for your feedback on your stay with us. I am sorry that you found the receptionist on duty not as welcoming as he could have been. Whilst we cannot identify which member of staff this comment relates to, we will discuss your comments with all the reception team to see how we can improve our welcome.
Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

My husband and I stayed here for three nights in February, after booking through Lastminute. We were offered the chance to upgrade from a standard room to a Club level room for an extra 40 pounds a night, which we took. That gave us breakfast in the Club Lounge, and drinks and snacks in the Lounge from 6pm - 8pm each night. It was pretty good value, and the upgraded room was excellent - a huge bed, great bathroom etc.
The hotel's location is very convenient, across the road from Gloucester Road tube, and just down the road from the Natural History Museum, the V&A Museum and Knightsbridge.
Highly recommended - would definetly go back.

Room Tip: Club room upgrade is good value
Dear SydneyAussieGirl
Thank you for your feedback. I am glad that you found ther upgrade to a club room such good value, with access to the club lounge. Since your visit we have enlarged our front hall and are now upgrading our club lounge to make it even more comfortable and exclusive.
I do hope you will return to try it out.