“I came back”

Ranked #124 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
“I came back”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I think that this hotel is great. This is the second time that I have stayed here. The first time was a couple of years ago, on business and the more recent stay was on holidays with my wife and daughter. A friendly and clean hotel, well located and close to the the Gloucester Road Underground. Plenty of nearby shops and restaurants and a close walk to Kensington Gardens. The size of the rooms are generous for London and are clean and modern with nice bathrooms. Breakfast was great and staff are friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: I like the rooms that overlook the garden/ courtyard. A hidden secret from the main road.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Simon W, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza London Kensington, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear Craig E,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us again! Our bedrooms are indeed large by London standards and all of our family rooms feature two double beds – not singles like in most neighbouring hotels.

I’m very pleased you were able to enjoy Kensington Gardens. This is just ten minutes’s walk from our front door an ideal way to spend an afternoon in summer.

I hope we can welcome you back for a third time in the future!

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (479)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Finland
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We stayed at CP Kensington for 3 nights. The location is very good. Many nice restaurants nearby. Gloucester tube station just a minute walk away. Well, Piccadilly line trains do not stop here until November, so it made the travel a bit more complicated. Maybe this is anyway something some people are interested to know.

We were first upgraded to a suite, which was on 2 floors. For us it was not very convenient, since it meant one of us had to sleep alone downstairs and the extrabed was not so comfortable. I have the feeling that hotel was fully booked and some bigger families needed "our room". Anyway I feel that the receptionist should have understood it was not good for our group, but still suggested it as an upgrade..
After the first night we asked for another room and as it was no longer fully booked, for the next 2 nights we got the room which we had originally booked (with two double beds) and that was very nice. Overlooking the gardens. The suite was facing the Cromwell road, but we didnt hear any noise from the street.

In the new room we had some issues like they brought us the complimentary water only after we asked for it a few times. The answer was that someone had tried to bring it , but we were not in the room.. Well, personnal came into our rooms with their own keys, without knocking, a couple of times while we were in the room..

We couldnt get the minibar open. Concierge told us it is because reception didn´t have our credit card. I had tried to give the my credit card when we arrived, they said not needed. Tried to do that again after concierge advice, and still they didn´t need it. (because I am the Gold Elite member, I was told).

So, not big issues, but without them I could have given 5 stars.

We will certainly consider booking this hotel again, when travelling to London next time.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Missnelly
Dear Missnelly,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your time in London. I am very sorry for the small inconveniences you have pointed out – these are things we should get right and please accept my assurances that we usually do. Water is complimentary for all of our guests and should be placed in the room daily.

I am pleased you enjoyed the rest of your stay and I hope we can welcome you back in the future on your return to London.

Ross-on-Wye
Reviewed 11 June 2014

First of all, the good. The hotel is in an excellent location, ideal for museums etc. It is generally smart and well kept up (except our room!). The concierge staff are helpful.

We arrived at 2:30pm and by 3pm had advised staff that the extractor fan in the bathroom was broken. We were told that maintenance would look at it. During our stay, this was not done and we were not offered an alternate room. This is completely unacceptable in any hotel of any standard. With no fan running, it became clear that there is little or no sound proofing between the en-suite and the room. The shower was faulty, it cycled through hot/cold making it unpleasant to use. The shower screen leaked a lot.

We were repeatedly woken during the night by people coming and going, talking loudly and using the TV. This does happen to a degree in some hotels, I would recommend taking ear plugs if you are going to stay at this one.

The room had an alarm clock in it. I didn't think to check whether the previous occupants had set the alarm. They obviously had an early start as we were woken up early by the alarm clock blaring out and had to figure out how to turn the thing off. If you stay at this hotel, be aware that they have these alarm clocks and that staff do not bother to check whether they are set. Make sure that you check the alarm clock, otherwise you may be woken up in the early hours!

Overall we had about 3 hours sleep and a less than pleasant stay that did spoil our trip somewhat.

1 Thank laurief64
Simon W, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza London Kensington, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear laurief64,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am very sorry that we failed to meet the high standards that we set ourselves and please accept my personal apologies for a less than memorable stay.

We should definitely have resolved the issue with your extractor fan as soon as you brought it to our attention. Unfortunately, sometimes amenities in hotels do develop faults and we pride ourselves of ensuring that these are resolved as quickly as possible. I regret that this did not occur during your stay and I have shared this with our team so that we can do better next time.

It is also our hotel policy to check alarm clocks as part of our room inspection so it is disappointing that you were disturbed by this. Please accept my assurances that this is an isolated incident.

I do hope you will give us the opportunity to put things right and allow us to welcome you back on your return to London. If there is anything at all I can do to be of assistance, please feel free to contact me directly and I will be delighted to assist.

Brandon, Canada
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We arrived a bit early for check-in but they willingly stored our bags for a few hours. The room was clean and the staff were very helpful and pleasant.
Ice buckets are provided, but no ice machines but Staff were fairly prompt in bringing up ice each day when requested.
Complementary tea, water and biscuits were very nice
Housekeeping would be our big beef. 3 things occurred that turned us off this hotel.1) We placed our towels on the rack as suggested so they wouldn't be changed and every day we had new ones. Not sure why they asked us to conserve on laundering if housekeeping wasn't interested in carrying out the plan.
2) We had an early flight out and had bought 1 container to put in the fridge. It was stored in the "for your use" area but found in the morning that housekeeping had thrown it out. Not Impressed!!! Obviously they knew we hadn't left the day before as they cleaned the room with all our bags in it. Reception kindly offered to bring up a container for us in the morning, but it never arrived.
3)Same early morning, upon looking in the tub before showering, a huge wad of black hair was clinging to the bottom and side. Ugh!! disgusting. Not ours as we don't have black hair.
So, although the hotel itself is very nice, the housekeeping staff need direction and as there are many hotels to choose from in London, we will most likely choose another next time.
It only takes one bad experience to turn you off and this was it.

1 Thank RXbike
Dear RXbike,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am very sorry that we you experienced some inconveniences during your time with us and I have brought these up with our housekeeping department so that they can review these and retrain their staff on our standards. Certainly there is no excuse for leftover hair in the bath and please rest assured that this falls well below the high expectations we set ourselves.

I am pleased that you found our staff helpful and I would very much like the opportunity to welcome you back and leave you with a more positive impression of our hotel. Please feel free to contact me personally if there is anything I can do to be of assistance, either now or in the future.

Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the hotel with my wife and two kids. It was a wonderful experience. The hotel staff are quite helpful and change of room was very happily done. Excellent location . The property is very much recommended from my side.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Aloke A,

Thank you very much for your review. We love looking after families and are well suited to do so. All of our twin rooms feature two double beds and kids eat for free in our restaurant for breakfast. We also have a lovely one-acre garden at the rear of our hotel which is a great spot to spread out and relax.

I look forward to seeing you again in the future!

Reviewed 8 June 2014

We loved our stay at the Crowne Plaza. From the moment we arrived, the service was fantastic.

From the outside, the hotel has a stately, classic look, but upon walking in, we were pleasantly surprised by the very cool, unexpected, modern flair.

Our room was spacious, clean and well appointed. We did have a problem with our TV not working, but it was fixed promptly after a call to the front desk.

The breakfast buffet had plenty of fresh, delicious options - something for everyone.

We found the location to be perfect. A short walk to Harrods and the Victoria & Edward Museum. A tube station across the street provides easy access to anywhere else in the city you would like to go.

Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay, and highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MrKite58
Dear MrKite58,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay with us. We recently refurbished our lobby area in a modern style but, as you noted, our exterior is still classically terraced in keeping with the unique atmosphere of Kensington. We think we’ve hit just the right note between classical and stylish!

I hope we have the chance to welcome you back on your return to London.

Llanelli, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Perfect location for our visit to Earls Court & Natural History Museum. Staff we're very friendly & helpful with all our enquiries. Minutes away from Gloucester Road tube station in a lovely area. Rooms were modern & very clean. Complementary tea, biscuits & water very nice touch.

Room Tip: Any room with the amazing black out curtains will ensure a good sleep.
Dear Dkerbycole,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your trip to London. Our location is indeed ideal for the Natural History Museum – it is just two blocks from our front door and can be reached on foot in five minutes. I’m pleased you liked your room and the small touches we provide to make sure all our guests feel special.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.