“2014 July London Kensington Crowne Plaza”

Crowne Plaza London Kensington
Ranked #119 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Unexpectedly stuck in London on a Friday night, I was pleasantly surprised to find an affordable vacancy at this hotel, just 5 minutes' walk from the nearby Gloucester Road station with its connection to the Circle and District London Underground lines (the Piccadilly line is temporarily closed at this station for refurbishment works until late 2014). Across the street there are a number of restaurants (e.g. Garfunkels) and high street stores including Boots and Waitrose.
Check-in was easy, and I was very glad of the drinks voucher provided through the IHG Rewards Club programme which gave me much needed refreshment at the bar as I ordered my evening meal (just missed the 10pm cut-off time at the restaurant). No matter, as the excellent service continued from reception to bar and I was able to enjoy a fabulous combination of Thai beef salad, satay chicken, and the most astonishing Thai fishcakes that I have ever tasted, all to a backdrop of some very cool jazz. Nice.
The room had a small balcony overlooking the garden and church, and came with complimentary refreshments of water, chocolate, and biscuits in addition to the standard tea and coffee. Airconditioning allowed me to forget the stifling London heat and enjoy one of the most relaxing night's sleep I've experienced in nearly three years' of working in the capital. Both the room and the ensuite bathroom were very roomy, furnished and decorated to a high quality.
Breakfast opened at 7.30 am (weekend timings), consisting of a fairly eclectic mix of hot and cold options ranging from muesli, salami, and cheese through to black pudding, and fried eggs.
If I had more time, I would have explored the fitness centre located in the basement. If I can afford another stay here it will be on the list for next time.

Room Tip: Garden view from 306 was beautiful, especially in the morning
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Earandil
Simon W, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear Earandil,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am delighted you enjoyed your time with us and I hope we can welcome you back in the future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 25 July 2014

We stayed here July 2014 family of 4 in a deluxe room with 2 double beds. It was a little over our budget but we were really pleased with the hotel location (right on the central and Picadilly lines) and with it being walking distance to the Museums and even to Harrods. Our room was quiet, comfortable and spacious, and we loved the little pillow spray to help us sleep better! The staff including on Reception were friendly and helpful and we were greeted by everybody, including the chamber staff.

If like us you have younger children and are facing a night spent in the hotel room instead of out on the tiles and have blown your budget on the room, there is a Waitrose opposite with a good selection of drinks, and a lovely burger restaurant called Byrons on the corner near the tube station.

Breakfast was very nice, although I think they need to spend a little more on their sausages, which were more breadcrumbs than pork.

All in all we were very happy and will definitely consider returning next time we have a family trip to London.

1  Thank superhols

Dear superhols,

Kind regards,

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Stayed here for one night using my IHG points. I don't normally go for the whole 'I am an important Platinum Member' thing, but one of the perks of this status is fast check in. It took 20mins to get my key with only one person in front of me. This is not acceptable in my opinion. Similar issues on check out. The room was fine, albeit small, comfy beds etc etc. Bar not too expensive for a London hotel.
I am glad this was a free night as the rack rate for this place is over £500 per night for an adequate room.

Room Tip: Any room is fine as the double glazing is excellent.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear Dan C,

Thank you for being an IHG Rewards Club Platinum member and for leaving us a feedback. Please allow us to apologize for the experience you had during check-in and check-out. It is regrettable that we fell below your expectations. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. Your review will be used to consider improvements needed and we hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Let's start with food. The breakfast buffet, which is 15 pounds for adults (kids, even our 15-year-old, eat free) or included when you stay in an executive level room (more on that later) is worth every pence. Let me just list some of the delicious, fresh, unprocessed food served each morning... carmelized pear and fudge yogurt, bread, croissants, broiled tomatoes, hash browns, ham, sausage, beans, a variety of cheese and meats, ripe fruits (sweeter than anything I've tasted back home), dried fruits, apple-rhubarb juice, cereals, granola, coffee, tea, etc. It's all served with an understated, engaged and friendly manner by staff in an elegant environment with upscale flooring, furniture and fixtures.

Now to the rooms... we stayed two times in July for four days each. The first room was two double beds on the sixth floor with a lovely vaulted ceiling and a view of a historic stone church. The beds were comfy. The bathroom and room were stylish and spotless. The only drawback was the lack of drawers to stow away clothing. But the closet was fully stocked with 20 or so hangers, so we were able to stay organized. Everything seemed fairly recently updated.

The second stay was in an executive level room with a king bed. A rollaway was brought up for our daughter and it was a full-sized bed, so she was very comfortable. A staff member came up our first night and made it up for her, which was so helpful. We also met the general manager of the hotel in the hallway with some other managers and they all took an interest in our comfort. The stay in the exec level included access to the executive club on the first floor. It was open most of the day and included morning breakfast and evening snacks and drinks. It was such a nice presentation, we found ourselves scheduling a break around 6 p.m. from sightseeing to partake. The club also has public computers, a DVD library and large screen televisions.

The exec level room faced Cromwell Road, which is quite busy, but we weren't bothered at all with noise when the windows were closed.

There were a couple of negatives... On our first four-day stay, our room had not been serviced for two days. We called housekeeping and someone was there to rectify the situation quickly. It was a minor annoyance and certainly didn't ruin our stay. Also, just be aware that if you're planning to go to Paris on the Eurostar as we did for a few days and want to store your luggage at the hotel, the room is quite small and they may turn you away. We ended up only being able to store one of our bags.

We tried the hotel's Asian restaurant one night. I ordered a broiled fish dish with fresh ginger and rice, which was excellent. My daughter ordered a salad of some type, took one bite and deemed it gross. My husband also tried it (and he has a much higher tolerance for unfamiliar dishes) and couldn't eat it. So that was our only meal there. We ate much more frequently across the street at Ask Italian, where everything tasted great and was pretty affordable.

The location was great... near the Natural History Museum, the Victory and Albert, Hyde Park, Kensington Palace and the Gloucester tube station. Be aware that the Piccadilly line, which you travel from Heathrow Airport to the hotel, is closed at the Gloucester station. So plan to change at another station for the District/Circle line. We ordered Oyster cards online in advance that we used to ride the Underground trains.

I've traveled to London many times in the past 30 years and this is the best blend of accommodations, amenities, location, price and service.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for executive level rooms as you'll save on breakfast... 30 pounds for two adults.
1  Thank MiTraveler33
Simon W, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear MiTraveler33,

We are very delighted to understand your happiness towards your stay with us.

It is a joy to read that you loved our breakfast, which has, indeed, a huge variety of hot and cold food, with the addition of nice juices and pastries.

Thank you also for the nice notes regards of our Club Lounge, which offers great selection of drinks and snacks.

You spent some beautiful words for our rooms too. They are quite big for London standards and provided with nice toiletries and amenities.

We are sad to read you had few some small issues, but happy to understand they did not ruin your stay. Be sure we will take them into serious consideration as we value our guests' feedback importantly.

Sorry to see that you could not find space in our luggage room to store more than one bag overnight. Hope you will understand that during busy times our in-house guests would fill it up with check in and check out, so we are sadly forced not to accept overnight luggage at times.

As per the Umami, we addressed your comment to the right department and we hope you could try their delicious specialities again.

Looking forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

My husband and I stayed here on what must have been the hottest weekend this year. The hotel is calm, cool, pleasant and spacious, but best of all was the unfailing helpfulness of the staff. The reception staff could not have been more welcoming, and they responded promptly and positively when I requested a more spacious room. We were delighted with our suite which was a clean, bright, well equipped and beautifully furnished air-conditioned haven, and the bed was extremely comfortable. All other staff encountered throughout our stay, including housekeeping, catering and concierge were extremely attentive. Free Wifi throughout was a bonus. The hotel is a minute's walk from Gloucester Road tube station and I would not hesitate to recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marjorie K

Dear Marjorie K.,

We are delighted you scored us 5 out 5. That makes us extremely rewarded as our guests' satisfaction is what we all aim to.

Thank you for the wonderful comments about our staff, be sure we will pass the compliments to everyone, who will be happy to understand their hard work is, once again, appreciated so much.

We are also pleased to read that you loved the location. close to Gloucester road underground and to many attractions and places to eat and drink.

Looking forward to meeting you all again.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

My introduction to this hotel was emailing back and forth about the rate and feeling somewhat frustrated by their customer service. After booking, we watched the rates go way down. I wanted them to refund part of the rate we pre-paid, which they would not do. I finally got them to comp the difference, which we used for tickets to local events/places. After that, and some delays checking in, I was pretty much on edge.

But once we settled in, I was pleasantly surprised. In the end we were very happy with this hotel. The room was great, it was clean, and we had so much space - a real gift when traveling with teenagers. They even provide free water bottles and snacks in the room, which was nice. The area is fantastic, with lots of late night restaurants and a Tube stop a block away. In the end, we were all very happy and would highly recommend.

Room Tip: We were in a duplex room on the sixth floor. Only view is from tiny patio, but it was sweet. Be care...
2  Thank travelr14

Dear Travelr14,

We are happy to understand that, after some initial issues, we managed to surprise you and make your stay wonderful.

Please accept our apologies if at the moment of the booking there were some misunderstandings, be sure we will take into serious consideration your comment and we will strive not to have these kind of problems again.

We loved to read that you liked our Hotel and the service provided so much you would happily recommend it.

Hope to see you with us again soon.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 22 July 2014

For anyone visiting London (especially if it is a first-time trip), I highly recommend this hotel! For starters, and particularly if you are an American traveller, you will appreciate the more 'American-ized' style and modern amenities, including a spacious room, which can often be hard to find once over the pond! (That being said, please be sure to also experience a true European-style hotel while on your trip. I certainly don't mean to imply anything negative by saying so, but when travelling for the first time to a place that is so very different from home, having a small dose of 'home' can be very comforting. And it's one of the reasons I love this hotel so much.) I've stayed at this location twice -- on 2 separate trips -- (it used to be a Holiday Inn) -- and the main reason I wanted to stay again at this very hotel on my return trip was location, location, location!

Truly just a stone's throw from the Gloucester Road tube station, this hotel's location cannot be beat! The tube is very easy to nagivate and you are never far from all of the major sites that you can imagine when thinking of London -- Buckingham Palace, Big Ben/Parliament, The London Eye, Tower of London...getting around is a piece of cake. And after a day of pounding the pavement, it's wonderful to know the tube will drop you nearly at your front door.

It's a tourist's dream (as you are in the Royal burroughs) and the surrouding area is very clean, feels very safe, and yet it keeps you close enough to local pubs and fare should you decide to experience local life as well. Very highly recommended, and I would certainly stay here again and again! I cannot say enough wonderful things about my experience at this hotel -- and again, the location simply cannot be beat!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank BeachyKeen_9

Dear BeachyKean,

We really appreciate your wonderful feedback and we can not thank you enough for scoring us 5 out of 5 like so many of our guests.

These beautiful comments always motivate us to do more.

We are happy to understand you also loved the location which is, indeed, fantastic and very close to some of the most popular landmarks like Kensington Gardens/Hyde Park, Natural History/Science/V&A museums, Harrods and to some very nice restaurants and bars.

Looking forward to meeting you again.