“Could be so much better...”

Crowne Plaza Hotel London Ealing
Ranked #270 of 1,077 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 21 March 2011

This hotel has many things going for it - convenient location for accessing central London via the Tube, nice rooms and great pricing. I also assume that for anyone booking a room+breakfast rate, the buffet breakfast is good, hence the previous positive reviews.

However, I would like to warn people not to bother getting a room with Club access...it is a MAJOR letdown, which along with the service provided by many staff members really drags this hotel down.

1. No staff at all in the Lounge, which means that you have to call from the provided phone for everything...which would in itself not be a problem, but combined with the fact that the espresso machine (and only source of hot water) was broken, that there was no milk available for tea and in one morning the Internet on the provided PC was not functional made for a truly frustrating experience, especially since the staff with the requested items would either not come at all (2 calls and nearly 1 hour for some damn milk and hot water!) or take at least 20 minutes to do so.

2. I don't expect for evening canapes in the lounge to amount to a meal, but when you have at least 10 people there at any one time time in the evening, you can't provide a dozen (literally, I counted!) canapes refilled just 2 times over the two hour cocktail period. In all fairness, the alcohol was plentiful, but this was the first time I have ever been to a hotel lounge that was so stingy, they didn't even have anything else besides said canapes, no crisps/peanuts, absolutely nothing! How much could it possibly cost them to double the amount offered? I am not alone in this opinion, I could see all the guests being very irritated by this and I doubt any of them will book a Club room in this hotel again...so who ends up the loser?

3. This was by far the craziest thing I've ever seen in a hotel breakfast - absolutely NO BREAD! Besides some jams, cereal and some (very nice, to be honest) cheese, they had salami and ham and croissants with powdered sugar and vanilla danishes as the only pastries! Who eats salami or ham as-is or with a sugary piece of pastry?? I requested some toast and it was brought (about 20 minutes later) as some kind of big favor...the next morning another couple asked for some and they were flat-out denied! Since I see that the manager replies to the reviews here, I would like him to reiterate the policy that I was informed of: "We do not provide bread for American Breakfast in the Lounge". Nice, right? People who wanted cereal weren't much better off, either...they had a single carafe of milk, which of course ran out immediately and was replaced after 20-30 minutes. Again, how much would it cost them to provide a loaf of bread and some more milk? Of course eggs were completely out of the question, so I see management thinks this definition: http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/American-breakfast.html is outdated or something...

It's really a pity that a potentially truly nice business hotel experience is ruined by some decisions that could not possibly cost more than 1-2$/guest/night to implement. They would have loyal guests flocking at this price point, which is truly excellent for London, but they prefer to waste goodwill for minimal gains.

2  Thank johnflorin
JGS1888, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel London Ealing, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2011

Dear reviewer, I have read through your detailed comments on our Club Lounge and I acknowledge that some other Crowne Plaza hotels do indeed offer a greater variety in their Club Lounges. However, I can also confirm that this hotel does meet the required minimum standards as set by IHG for a Club Lounge. I appreciate that if you are used to the offerings at another property's Club Lounge where more variety is offered then you may be disappointed when coming to this hotel's one. Ending on a more positive note, thank you for your positive comments on the other aspects of the hotel.

Reviewed 12 March 2011

Stayed for one night and got upgraded to a club room. Very large room with good work area, dressing room. Food in bar was good, breakfast was just OK. Parking is expensive at £11 but not many options available. Club lounge was good with free drinks and nibbles. Handy when working in area and good value - better hotel and cheaper than Holiday Inn - it appeared quiet though so that could explain the price. Overall very good.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business

Dear reviewer, thank you for taking the time to add your positive feedback.

Reviewed 21 February 2011

Although a little away from central London it is easily accessible by tube.
The bedrooms are quiet and very comfortable. Onle complaints would be difficulties with shower/ bath unit...found it very difficult to wash my hair as could not get shower flex to extend. Beds are very comfortable..I did not want to get out of bed in the morning...and I am normally up at crack of dawn.!!!
Breakfasts are excellent value.
The staff are all very happy to assist .
I would happily stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
JGS1888, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel London Ealing, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2011

Dear reviewer, thank you for taking the time to add your feedback following your recent stay with us. I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay and hope to return.

Reviewed 15 February 2011

Well presented, recently refurbished room that was surprisingly quiet at night. Breakfast was nice, with a good variety.The hotel staff were pleasant and attentive. Very close to Hangar Lane tube station. I would consider another visit.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank squiff6
JGS1888, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel London Ealing, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2011

Dear reviewer, thank you for adding your positive feedback following your recent stay with us.

Reviewed 14 February 2011

What a great hotel!

me & my boyfriend stayed here for 2 nights and stayed in Room 210.

We were able to check in quickly (and an hour early!)
The rooms are modern, clean and comfortable. The beds were among the best we have slept in at any Hotel - they were just SO comfortable! We didnt want to get up in the morning!

Bathroom was a good size - and the shower was great. We were supplied with Tea & Coffee making facilities, and there was an Ice bucket and free Ice machines to use.

We also got a Daily newspaper, of our choice - delivered on both mornings, as we are a 'priority club' member.

Even though the window of our rooms overlooked a main road which was busy at all hours, we heard very little noise, and my boyfriend - who is a light sleeper - slept peacfully both nights.

One of the best things about the hotel is its location. It took us around 5 minutes to get from our hotel room, to be sat on a Tube - which is on the central line and takes about 15/20 mins to get into Central London (Oxford Street).

On the day of our departure check-out was quick and easy. They even let us leave our luggage in the Luggage room, for us to come and collect later that day, as our Train back was at 7.00pm.

Both me and my boyfriend thought this Hotel was amazing, we paid just £79.00 per night, and for that price, this hotel is the best you will get in London.

We will definatly be returning on our next trip to the City!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
JGS1888, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel London Ealing, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2011

Dear reviewer, thank you for taking the time to leave your glowing review of your recent stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back and giving the same level of service.

Reviewed 28 January 2011

I have been recently to this Crowne Plaza with a girlfriend and we had a nice stay.
The breakfast was not included in the price of the room but if you decided to have breakfast the day before you can have it at only 10£ per person.
The breakfast is continental as indicated in the site of the hotel but there are also several hot dishes: scrambled eggs, bacon, etc. Moreover, you can choose a particular dish they will prepare for you.
There is an underground station just in front of the hotel, but unfortunately the weekend I was there there were some works in the Central line and so I had to utilise another station at 10-15 minutes walking.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
JGS1888, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel London Ealing, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2011

Dear reviewer, thank you for taking the time to add your positive feedback.

Reviewed 28 January 2011

We stayed in the Crowne Plaza (Ealing) hotel for 6 days during the new years eve period.

The hotel as written before in older posts here, is cleverly situated near the Hanger lane Underground station (1-2' walk) which is on the central line (Red line) that will take you downtown (around 30' trip to Oxford circus) hence you feel very close to everything.

The room (twin bedroom-ground floor) was spacious and spotlessly clean as was the bathroom. The cleaning ladies did a good job maintaining it that way every day. We had hot water throughout the day and everything in the room worked as they should.

Preferably ask for a room over the ground floor as although it was very quiet even there, i woke up a couple of times from the garbage-truck picking up the trash in early morning hours...
We didn't get breakfast there during our stay (as we found it to be a bit on the expensive side with 10pounds if you booked it overnight and 17pounds(!!!) in the morning) so i can't express an opinion.

I would gladly stay there again, as the only real drawback is that there is actually nothing to do or go near the hotel (by walking). Only a couple o Polish (!!!) mini-markets an Indian restaurant and a small local pub.

One last thing. It would be nice if people working in the hotel reception (hint: i'm NOT referring to those of Indian origin) smiled a bit more as i felt they weren't payed enough to be pleasant to us during our transactions (also failing to notify us of a deposit withdrawn from our credit card without our consent)...

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Malcom_Corley

Dear reviewer, thank you for adding your positive feedback follwoing your stay with us. I was very pleased to note your comments about the hotel and I have discussed your comments on the Reception staff with my Front Office Manager.