“Nothing Special”

Crowne Plaza Hotel London Ealing
Ranked #264 of 1,076 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 2 November 2013

The hotel should really be called the Crowne Plaza Hangar Lane Gyratory; it's located right on the Hanger Lane / West Way intersection with traffic roaring past in every direction and, at rush hour, traffic jams all around. There is basically NOTHING in the area but Hanger Lane tube station.

Public spaces clean but limited. The restaurant is on the "lower floor" (ie the basement). The room was OK, but when did you last see a small and flickery CRT TV in a 4 star hotel room. The sink in the bathroom had been "re-enameled" (painted) and the paint was flaking off. Ripe for a refit methinks.

Breakfast, OK but not much choice. Over cooked mushrooms, under cooked tomatoes and that weird solidified scrambled egg that has a greenish tinge and is probably made from powdered egg. Nice bread but no fried egg, no waffles, no-one to cook you an omlette ... not a Marriott!

Health Spa yes (running and spinning machines), pool no.

Unless you're a gold or platinum IHG club member, they still charge for internet access after 5:30pm - Used my own modem as 24hrs access was more than my monthly tariff.

On the plus side, the staff were helpful and friendly, there was space to park (at a fee), everything was really clean and the bed was really comfy. Despite the roaring traffic outside, the hotel is nice and quiet inside.

Don't think I'll use this one again - at the price there are better places.

Room Tip: Probably worth going for a room upgrade - and worth being at the back away from the traffic
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank nick a
JGS1888, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel London Ealing, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Dear reviewer, thank you for adding your feedback and I acknoweldge your comment on the hotel's name as well as your perception of the surrounding area. I am trying to identify your room number so the maintenance issues can be resolved (if still outstanding). I am sorry to note that breakfast did not match your expectation and please accept my apologies for this. The items you mention that were not visable are cooked fresh to order and are listed on our breakfast menu; it is not my place to comment on why Marriott have these on a buffet and not cooked freshly upon request. On a more positive note, I am proud an pleased with your comments on the staff, cleanliness and noise levels.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

Sorry but as nice as this hotel is any chain that still charges for wifi needs to wake up. Internet is no longer a luxury and charging .25p per minute for access is beyond a joke.

It's not 1984 - Crown Plaza welcome to 2013 - stop trying to rip your customers off. I didn't use your over priced wifi to write this review I tethered my 4g phone to my laptop.

Pathetic

Room Tip: Don't stay if you want to get any work done online
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank CraigBeck
JGS1888, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel London Ealing, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2013

Dear reviewer, I acknowledge your thoughts on internet charges in hotels. In this hotel it is complimentary for Gold and Platinum IHG Reward members and will be for all levels from 2014. We also do provide complimentary Wi-Fi in our public areas 9-5, Monday to Friday and also offer 50% discounts at weekends (offered during check-in). On a positive note I was pleased to note that you find the hotel 'nice'.

Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night. The club rooms are very large. The decor isn't anything to write home about though the sheer size of the room makes up for it.

No items in mini bar except water. The check in staff were actually very friendly and inviting.

Some of the housekeeping staff don't speak a word of English. A little bit awkward when you ask them a question and they give you a cold stare.

My two biggest gripes?

The club lounge proposes canapés and beverages. While there are plenty of beverages, the canapé selection was almost non existent and did not look appetizing.

Secondly, it was extremely difficult to find the hotel with the address of the hotel. Some older Sat Nav/GPS units cannot pinpoint Western Hangar Avenue. Instead select the hanger tube stop and you should be able to see the hotel across the street.

I paid 149 pounds. IHG platinum members get either a 600 point voucher or a snack and a beverage.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Travel_Critic999

Dear reviewer, thank you for adding your feedback. Very pleased that in the main your had a positive experience and I am most pleased with your comments on the check-in experience. I do acknowledge your comments on the below par aspects of your stay, please accept my apologies that we did not meet all your expectations all of the time. Each point will be discussed with the relevant department manager, with a view to improving our consistency.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

I live to the west of London so found the location perfect as I could leave my car
and the tube station is right outside, perfect for a night out if you want to enjoy a drink. I didn't explore the hotel facilities much as I was only there one night but the staff were friendly and helpful and the room was comfortable but not extravagant. Would stay there again. Bit pricey mid-week though.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Paul G
JGS1888, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel London Ealing, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

Dear reviewer, thank you for adding your feedback, I am most pleased and proud to read your comments on the hotel staff you encountered.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

My wife & I booked a great deal online for this hotel for our trip to London, It was very easy to find from the tube station (you can spot it from the platform!!).
On arrival we were greeted by a friendly& helpful member of staff. The room was excellent (we requested a quite room which they arranged) , clean tidy & fresh. The bed & bedding was very comfortable for a peaceful nights sleep. Little touches such as bathrobes. shampoo/shower gel and body location, & bottle water are appreciated.
We choose to dine in the restaurant, the food was at a high standard you'd expect from a crowne plaza. The breakfast was delicious & set us up for the day!!
I would recommend this hotel to anyone, just going out a little further in London means you get more for your money!
Also EVERY member of staff there is an asset to the hotel, very polite, friendly & helpful from management right down to house keeping!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank marc p
JGS1888, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel London Ealing, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Dear reviewer, thank you for adding your feedback. I am very pleased and proud to read your comments. This is the level of service that we strive to give all our guests, every time.

Reviewed 16 October 2013

After our stay on the night of Saturday 5th Oct I must write to complement this hotel on a wonderful experience. Having visited a number of hotels more centrally located in London we were forced to come out further afield on this occasion due to limited availability.

I have to say that I am so glad we did, the reception staff were wonderful and offered us an upgrade to a feature club room , which I only accepted as it was my wife birthday weekend , and on entering the room I was not disappointed, it was amazing !!

It also gave us access to the club lounge which not only had free soft drinks all day, but also free bottles of beer, cider, and wine available from 18.00 to 22.00 each evening

The feature club room was wonderful, with chairs sofa and separate area with office desk and internet connection. A sumptuous bed and pillows and the added bonus of a double walk in drench shower and additional bath (with TV built in)

A must for anyone who wants to be in the city for trips but as only 20mins tube ride away ( and Hanger Lane station a 1 min walk ) a sanctuary in the evening

Secure parking on site as well !

We will be back soon

Room Tip: Upgrade to Club feature room - work every penny ( and sofa is a sofa bed so great for kids also )
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
JGS1888, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel London Ealing, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2013

Dear reviewer, thank you for your comments, I am very proud of the high levels of service and facilities you experienced throughout your stay. This is what we strive to achieve every time for all our guests.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

This seemed like the average business hotel. I wouldnt say it was anything special and is fine for the price we paid. We stayed here as we were going to Wembley Arena. The location is good if you are going to Wembley and want to be located that side of London, but not necessarily if you want to be near to the centre of London.

The only main problem we had was the that the hotel was so unbearably hot, we didnt really want to stay in the hotel longer than we needed.

Breakfast was very good and the staff were very cheerful and helpful. We also ordered room service when we got back from Wembley, and the sandwiches were quite nice too.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear reviewer, thank you for adding your comments and I am sorry to note that you found the hotel too hot. We do have air conditioning in public areas which are set to an ambient temperature and all bedrooms have individual controls; please accept my apologies that this was not to your preference. On a more positive note I was very pleased with your feedback on the hotel staff and food.