“Not great for the price”

Crowne Plaza Hotel London Ealing
Ranked #282 of 1,069 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Ireland
“Not great for the price”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I stayed with my boyfriend in this hotel in July as we were going to see a show in Richmond so it was a good location for us. We had arrived on a very early flight and I called the hotel to see if we could check in early, I was informed that we couldn't as the hotel had been fully booked the previous night. That was fine as the guy on the desk we spoke to said we could leave our bags at the hotel and check in after 4:30. When we arrived the man at the desk told me that because we had booked through a third party we had been allocated a non descriptive room and we would be staying in a smoking room. No thanks was my reply to that as neither I or my boyfriend don't smoke. He then told us that he had no other rooms available and basically we hadn't much choice. He said that no one had used the room the night before so it would be okay (funny he had told me earlier on the phone that the hotel had been fully booked the night before) We decided to leave our bags go out and see a bit of the city in the hope that a non smoking room would become available.
While we were out I actually checked on line to see if there was any non smoking rooms available - funny enough there was. On our return to the hotel the man behind the desk told us that unfortunately no rooms had become available. So I told him actually you do, I have just checked your website, he then told me that they often over book and then would transfer guests to another hotel. He said that they had put an odour machine to clean the air. We decided to have a look at the room and see what it was like before we made a decision ( bearing in mind that we would loose money by cancelling) The room was clean, a bit dated but smelled terrible, we tried to open windows - they didn't, the air conditioning wasn't working properly. I was really disappointed as this was part of my boyfriends Christmas present and he is really anti smoking, the whole situation was putting a real damper on the weekend. I then called the website that I had booked through - late rooms. The girl I spoke to was excellent, very sympathetic and said she would call the hotel on our behalf. So after a bit of negotiation the lady from late rooms called me and said the hotel could do something for us. We went back down to reception and the guy on the desk said that another guest decided that he would swap (from a non smoking room to a smoking one - as if!!)
Eventually we were allocated a much nicer non smoking room with working air conditioner)
The second room was much nicer, and fresh smelling. On the whole the hotel was clean and the staff were friendly and helpful. I felt however that initially we had been lied to, and had we not have contacted Late Rooms we would have been stuck with a foul smelling room or loose the money we had paid. Honestly the hotel's location was great but my initial experience definitely put me off. I think the hotel is a little over priced (£17.35 each for breakfast)

Room Tip: Make sure you get a non smoking room!!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank KateStar
JGS1888, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel London Ealing, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear reviewer, thank you for taking the time to add your feedback and please accept my personal apologies for the issue encountered with the allocated smoking room. I have personally checked the reocrds for room cancellations on the day of your arrival and I am pleased to conform that there were reservations that were cancelled during the course of the day. This does back up that the staff were being truthful at the time and the circumstances changed throught the time taken to resolve the room type availability. I do hope it did not have a negative impact on your overall weekend away.
Gordon Stewart

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Harrietsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Good rooms, comfy beds and polite staff. The parking is limited so you need to make sure that you get there early. The bar is nice and it is open until fairly late so good if you want a nightcap. Depends which room you get but the traffic can be a little noisy from the gyratory.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
JGS1888, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel London Ealing, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear reviewer, thank you for adding your positive feedback, particularly pleased that you found the staff polite.
newton abbot
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We had an excellent stay,staff very helpful and friendly, room one of best I have ever stayed in. Evening meal excellent - I recommend Chief's Specials ( I had fillet steak ,it was tender and of highest quality) Club Room Breakfast was good . I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Get a club room on 4 th floor on opposite side to A40.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear reviewer, thank you for taking the time to add your positive feedback; hope to have you back with us again in the not too distant future.
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2014

My friend & I stayed here for a long weekend.We had lunch in the resturant we both had saugers & mash very nice .We also had a lovely bottle of wine £20.95 the best bottle all over the week end it was so good we had another on Saturday night .Staff very very friendly. Just over the rd from Hanger Tube.Very clean hotel.we would stay here again .the only thing I would say the sandwiches were dear £38+ the wine was £20.95. so about £9 per person !!

Room Tip: we stayed in room 117 on the front but no noise,
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank fijomokt54
JGS1888, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel London Ealing, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear reviewer, thank you for taking the time to add your positive feedback and hopefully we can welcome you back again in the not too distant future.
Loughborough
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Stayed here again for a long weekend and once again we were really impressed with the hotel and hotel staff.

Really comfy beds, clean rooms and great access to the tube. The staff were very accommodating and friendly.

We will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet area of the hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank coxy80
Dear reviewer, thank you for your comments and very pleased to see we hit the mark for you again.
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I haven't felt compelled to write a tripadvisor review until now, but I must say I was extremely impressed with this hotel. I am visiting England for work but wanted to tack on a few days of sightseeing beforehand. I was looking for an inexpensive hotel close to a tube stop, so I booked this hotel online through a third party at a rate of $90 (US dollars) a night, which was far less expensive than most London area hotels which run around $250/night.

I arrived at heathrow early in the morning and dropped off my luggage here before heading into the city center. Much to my surprise, the front desk staff greeted me by name several hours later when I returned. The hotel is clean and very quiet. Breakfast was included in my booking and was excellent. A full English breakfast with lighter options like cereal and yogurt as well.

It is right next to the hanger lane tube stop, which is one of the outer stops on the central line. If you are headed in to the main sights, budget about 30-45 min for the tube ride. There are not many restaurants in the immediate vicinity of the hotel, so you may want to plan ahead and eat dinner elsewhere. Wifi was also included but somewhat inconvenient where you have to call the front desk to get authorization. Just make sure you check, because it could be very expensive if not included in your rate! Overall, I had an excellent stay and would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Katherine R
JGS1888, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel London Ealing, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear reviewer, thank you for adding your very positive feedback and we hope to be able to welcome you back in the not too distant future.
Widnes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

I stay in many Crowne Plazas across the world. This is the worst so far. Not that its bad, it's just a poor reflection on the brand. CRT tv, windows that are locked, poor air con and a shower that is a hose with a shower head! Is this really what Crowne Plaza's are about? Tired hotel in need of a complete renovation. Refuse to pay the 12.50 advance payment for breakfast (17.50 in the morning) as I don't think the hotel lives up to its price tag. Location? Average. Well outside the centre but next to the station. Amenities...2 off licenses, and an early closing Chinese restaurant. Mini bar had 2 'complimentary' waters in and otherwise was empty. Shower accessories poor quality. Hotel staff seem polite. I asked about the windows and was told 'some open, some don't, pot luck!'. Guess that's this hotel wrapped up I'm 2 words, pot luck. Is there better? Yes. Is there worse? Yes. Is this Crowne Plaza standard? Not a chance.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank bigstoo
Dear reviewer, first and foremost please accept my sincere apologies that the hotel did not meet your expectations. However, I am pleased to be able to inform you that the TVs is just one area of siginifcant investment in the hotel over the coming months. To end on a more positive note, thank you for your comment on the staff.