3,502 results
All reviewsexmouth marketunion tavernthe holiday inntwo double bedsrussell squareleisure facilitiesminute walkst pancrasthe nearest tube stationfamily roombooked this hotelreception staffexecutive roomfull englishbus stopcontinental breakfastbritish museum
Reviewed 20 November 2012

I landed in this hotel via a hidden deal on Travelocity.com. They said it was a 4-star hotel in Paddington / Islington at 55% off. I was very optimistic, even when I found that it was a Holiday Inn. Holiday Inns typically aren't 4-star accomodations, and well, neither was this one.

It's new-ish, it's clean enough (although there was a splotch of yogurt or something on my TV all four days I was there), but so are many 3-star hotels. For what you get here, it's incredibly over-priced. The nightly rate posted in the lobby in November 2012 was 280 British Pounds Sterling. That comes out to $445 per night for a hotel that:

--Charges $17.35 per day (10.95 pounds) for internet access. What 4-star charges for internet access?

--Has three elevators for at least 300 rooms and 8 floors. On Saturday and Sunday mornings, the wait for an elevator exceeded 10 minutes.

--Is utterly and completely devoid of charm. You could convince yourself you were at an airport hotel in the US - there is absolutely nothing to tell you you're in London.

--Charges $22 (13.90 pounds) for a buffet breakfast - the same breakfast you can get for 5 pounds in any pub in London. I didn't have it (because I'm not lazy enough not to walk two blocks to a pub), so I can't tell you if it's mind-blowing and awesome, which it should be for that price. I'm rating breakfast "terrible" because what family of four could afford it?

--Has the least-attractive lobby bar of any hotel I've been in for 10+ years. It has the charm of a basement storage room.

--Has thin, worn-out towels. I had to use two after a shower. Luckily, I was traveling alone.

--Has no safe in the room. No safe! What 4-star doesn't have a safe?

--Has no ATM. They will send you two blocks away to a post office ATM.

This hotel is a brisk 10-15 minute walk to King's Cross Station. There is a bus (the 63) that will take you there in 10 minutes, but it's a wash between waiting for the bus and just walking it (I did both). There's nothing around it that is worth seeing (unless you like huge construction sites and big post office parking lots).

This is no 4-star hotel. I feel like they gave themselves four stars so they could charge more. It's a 3-star at best, and a very expensive one. I'm not cheap, and I like staying in nicer hotels, so I'm not just sore over the price (remember, I got this on a reduced deal). But if I had stayed there at full price, I would have been very disappointed and annoyed indeed at the lack of charm and amenities.

Room Tip: This hotel allows smoking. The smoking rooms smell pretty awful. Make sure you ask for non-smoking if you aren't a smoker and can still smell things. Also, they do have rooms that are directly across from the elevators. Like 2 meters away from the elevators. Make sure you don't get one of those unless you are a very heavy sleeper or you don't sleep at all.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Darrell C
Reviewed 20 November 2012

I expected more, since the price is very high. The hotel is located at the end of Kings Cross Road, 15 minutes from the underground.
Nice hotel, of course, very professional staff, very nice room with 2 huge beds (we were 2 friends so we booked a twin room), very confortable bedlinen and 4 pillows 2 firm and 2 soft for each bed!!! tv, tea, coffee, mini fridge, table and 2 armchairs. But this is what you expect from this kind of hotel.
what's wrong? I found some hair in the bathroom and this has not to happen in a 4 stars hotel!!!
Breakfast not included in the vety high price.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank elybrera
Reviewed 19 November 2012

A nice hotel; comfortable and well fitted.

Rooms are reasonably sized, for London, with all mod cons. As a business hotel it's fine, taxi to the meeting - no problems! For leisure, it's just a little too far from the centre - a stroll becomes a marathon and there's better to be had.

For those loyal to the Holiday Inn brand the Holiday Inn Bloomsbury offers a far better location (smaller rooms though) and the Holiday Inn Regent's Park offers better location and more spacious rooms (quieter too!)

Check on the map and if you're happy with where it is it'll serve you well.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank vestigium
Reviewed 19 November 2012

Very efficient service, tidy rooms (we booked a smoking room - didn't know you could do that!), plenty of space to relax. Breakfast was absolutely fine with as much, or little as you want. The pool, sauna etc though an extra £3.50 per person was top notch and one of the only hotels we have stayed at where everything worked as it should. We were amazed at how quiet the room was as well. Checkout was super fast. All the staff were very pleasant and helpful. We would love to stay here again.

Room Tip: We were on the 7th floor which might explain why it was so quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bryan C
Reviewed 17 November 2012

The hotel had lost our prepaid booking; and they only, and reluctantly, agreed to look into things when we showed them the paperwork. We were eventually given a room, but there was no apology. The rooms are, well, beige. The food is the culinary equivalent of that neutral colour. The staff were cool and mostly unhelpful. If you want to imagine you're somewhere in the Midwest while staying in in one of the greatest cities in the world, then this is for you. Otherwise, avoid.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank QuentinYoknapatawpha
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza London - Kings Cross, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2012

Dear QuentinYoknapatawpha,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. We would like to apologize for any misunderstanding regarding your room type. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Janice A