“Does what it says on the tin!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crowne Plaza London - Kings Cross

Crowne Plaza London - Kings Cross
Ranked #466 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Does what it says on the tin!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

Firstly, I got a great deal on this overnight stay because frankly I found London prices to be outrageous for the May Day Bank Holiday period and so the 'very good' is given in relation to the price I paid for a family room and not if I'd paid the normal full price of a room.
The reason for this is that the space of the family room is not very generous and although very clean and tidy, it just lacked the little extras that make it a 4 star hotel.(It's billed as 4 star but really is more representative of a 3 star in my opinion) The bathroom was quite small and toiletries very basic. However, a nice touch was the pillows as you had a quirky little 'note' on them with soft, firm etc. and you could choose delivery of whatever type you wanted to the room! Standard tea tray and trouser press but no room safe which was odd as I'm sure they must have lots of business travellers. Parking...beware as there are very few spaces at the front of the hotel! Otherwise it's down the road to the NCP for £20 a night which is not made clear on booking. Sound proofing isn't the best. We were five floors up and I was woken frequently by sirens through the night. (take some ear plugs and you'll be fine)
Choice of 2 restaurants and they are both reasonably priced. 1 is an Indian which is closed on a Sunday and also on a Bank Holiday Monday. I felt drinks were reasonably priced for London too. There is a busy pub opposite the hotel that does 2 courses for £11.99 which is good to know! The downstairs restaurant and bar areas are very spacious.
Whenever we go away we like to chill in the bar for a couple of hours in the evening as it's time out of the room. This hotel really needs to sort out the set up in there as the atmosphere was so awful from the bar man that no-one wanted to stay. It's such a shame as the bar area is lovely with comfy sofas and chairs. Not too much to ask for a bit of a smile and a please and thank you is it?
Location I found great to be honest. Someone else complained that there's not much around but as mentioned, there is the pub and just up the road about 5 mins is an area with bars etc.
We walked into Covent Garden in 30 minutes and on the way back via the river and Fleet Street in about 35 mins which is great.
Didn't have breakfast or pool facilities as we didn't have time so can't comment on these. (I do know that pool is £3.50 per person)
Reception staff very pleasant and helpful and on the whole we would stay again when back in London.
One tip- sign up for the rewards card before you go and you get free wifi..

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Mark B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza London - Kings Cross, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Thank you so much for your detailed and positive review of our hotel. We all appreciate your thoughts and advice. I am glad that you found our Reception Team to be pleasant / helpful during your stay and that you got a great family deal for the room over the May Bank Holiday. Thank you for review and for returning again with your family in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Ludlow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

Hotel was very clean, comfortable and spacious and was close enough to St Pancreas international railway station for the waiting taxi driver outside to not want to take us.Breakfast and dinner were both enjoyable and good sized portions which were served in the room on time.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank pamela w
Thank you for your kind and positive review of our hotel. I know that the Team here will appreciate your comments and this will help us improve going forward. I am glad that you enjoyed both Breakfast and Dinner here. Thank you again and we hope to see you back again very soon.
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

The hotel is pretty straightforward but has a pretty good South Indian restaurant downstairs. Does a good Dosa (Indian crepe/galette) and fish curry. Otherwise, does what it says on the tin. Wi-Fi also decent strength.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
      Cleanliness
Mark B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza London - Kings Cross, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
Thank you for your positive review and for staying with us.I am glad that you enjoyed our Rasa Maricham Southern Indian Restaurant. I am also pleased that the W-Fi connectivity was good. Thank you for letting us know, we all appreciate your feedback.
Nontron, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

I liked this hotel, check in and check out were quick, staff were helpful, room was good, bigger than expected for London, room and corridors (first floor near lift) were quiet, bathroom clean and well equipped. Mini bar/fridge was missing in my room but for me this didn't matter. Location is OK but further from Kings Cross and tube stations than it looks on the map, you would need a taxi if you had much luggage. The concierges were knowledgeable and helpful, lent me a European adapter BUT, and this was a huge issue for me, there was no electric socket anywhere near the bed and no extension lead available. I only discovered this at bedtime when I needed to charge my phone for use in bed and as an alarm. Apparently you can sometimes get them, but not always and only during the daytime - not much help if someone arrives or needs power nearish to the bed in the evening! Not good service for a four star hotel I felt... Breakfast was included, was ok, again not really up to four star standard IMO. Overall it was pretty good and I would stay here again - but only on condition that I was promised extension lead in advance :)

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Perigord2014
Thank you for your positive review and for staying with us on your trip to London. I am glad that you found our check-in and concierge services good. For information only we are refurbishing our hotel later this year and we will review the number/type of sockets near the bed. I have asked our Engineering Team to stock an extension lead for you. Thank you for letting me know.
Cologne, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

The hotel is pretty good for a Holiday Inn. Nice rooms, clean, high standard (for London). Staff at reception are more or less useless, but what do you expect? But: If I pay 150-200 GBP for a hotel, would it be possible to invest 50 pence more into a decent breakfast? Baked beans, scrambled eggs of the lowest possible quality. It doesn't take much more to treat your customers like human beings - and that would easily upgrade this hotel to a 4-star rating. Prettyplease?

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review and for staying with us on your trip to London. I am glad that you found our bedrooms here of a high standard and we will review our breakfast arrangements for the future. Thank you for letting us know.
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

Good sized room, up on the 4th floor, with a nice shower - the lifts were a pain, slow, and ram packed, but I think the hotel was rather busy during my stay.

Wifi is very overpriced, so not too impressed there. The English breakfast was nice, with a decent selection.

Staff were friendly and helpful. No doubt I'll be back!

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your kind review and for staying with us in London. Wi-Fi is now free for all IHG Reward Club Members so why not join on your next visit to an IHG Hotel Reception - you can earn loyalty points at the same time. I am glad that you enjoyed our English Breakfast. Thank you for letting me know and hope to see you back again very soon.
Elyria, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

We chose this hotel because it was close to where our daughter was living in Islington. It's not in the boondocks, but it's not really close to anything, particularly the underground. The Kings Cross station is a healthy walk away as is the Farringdon station in the other direction. Luckily we had very nice weather during our time in London, so it was not an issue for the most part. However, be aware that if you have several bags, the trip from the airport via the Heathrow Express will require an additional cabfare to get you to the hotel...and later from the hotel back to the tube station at the end of your trip.
I wish I could say nice things about this visit at the Holiday Inn but it was mostly a disappointment from the moment we tried to check in. We arrived early from our overnight trip to find that our rooms were not ready and wouldn't be until early afternoon. Well, this is what we found out once they were able to find our reservation in their computers. Luckily I had printed out the confirmation numbers as they had the name wrong. After that was cleared up, we were told by the desk that we could leave our bags with the concierge and come back later in the afternoon to finish checking in.
There was a mass of baggage clogging up the area around the concierge desk and they gave us a check stub and chained our bags to a bunch of other bags standing there. Must have been over a hundred bags chained in groupings in the hallway.
When we came back...no surprise, our rooms were still not busy. The manager called housekeeping to see if he could move it along and told us to sit in the bar and he would come get us when the rooms were ready...he didn't. I went back to the desk a few times, the first time he wanted to know how he could help me...he'd forgotten about us. We finally got to our rooms which were on the executive floor, though I don't think any different from other floors, and were somewhat small.
Over the week we stayed at the hotel, we found the housekeeping staff to be excellent, the room and bath was kept very clean and it was also quiet, affording us good sleeping conditions.
We did have a problem with the air conditioning which for some reason would either leave us too cold or too hot and the small sleep sofa was one of the most uncomfortable pieces of furniture we ever had to deal with. The room was kind of ticky tacky...the wood divider between the bed and sofa was wobbly and we propped a bag against it fearing it might fall over some night while we were sleeping.
If you are a member of the IHG (we were) then you get free internet. If not they charge you for it which is absurd. Even the least of hotel chains in the states provide free wifi, particularly the Holiday Inn chain. This gouging is ridiculous and if you have to pay, you should expect it to at least work well...it didn't for us. So glad not to have had the priviledge of having to pay for bad service. Everytime you want to use the wifi, you have to sign in again...and again....and again. This gets old fast.
There's a nice club to work out in...if you want to pay extra for it. Never stayed in a hotel that charged the guests to use the workout facilities...another bummer.
We pre-bought the English breakfast with our rooms...the offerings never changed. We were there for 6 days and the choices were always the same...cooked the same way...not well. We found eggs undercooked, bacon and sausage undercooked as well. Fruit was canned, not fresh, bakery goods just not edible, coffee weak. If you decide to stay here, skip the breakfast plan and go out and find some real food somewhere else...we ended up eating what pretty much was a continental breakfast after a few days of experimenting with the food.
All in all, our stay here was not one worth writing home about. Service, except for housekeeping, was pretty weak. The concierge staff didn't really seem to know the answers to any questions we asked and frankly seemed annoyed that we were "bothering" them.
The lobby has no place to sit...and wait for others in and the bar is even less inviting. The barman here seemed to be chosen on the basis that he had no interpersonal skills but at least he wasn't going to overpour.
There are lots of choices for hotels in London and we love visiting here...but next time we'll stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the quieter it should be. Stay away from rooms by the elevators, they are the m...