“Average Mid-Market Hotel”

Ranked #458 of 1,089 Hotels in London
London
“Average Mid-Market Hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

Standard Holiday Inn room, where the bed was very comfortable. Interestingly no minibar in the room. The towels in the bathroom had seen better days and were only large towels rather than bath sheets. As per usual with most hotels little thought had been given to ladies doing their make up and lighting in both the bedroom and bathroom was poor. The location was the key reason we stayed here, with Kings Cross/St Pancras a short walk away. Large numbers of organised tourists were staying the night we stayed and this had an impact on the breakfast in the morning, with you being segregated depending on whether you had an English Breakfast or not. Having gone for the English breakfast it was disappointing with the cooked food being kept under lights leading to "rubber eggs". The service staff seemed to have diffculty in keeping up with the volume of guests, so numerous tables hadn't be clreared. In summary I wouldnt rush back unless I needed to stay in the area.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Mark B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza London - Kings Cross, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Thank you for your review and for staying with us. I am glad you found our location convenient for your stay. I am sorry for the housekeeping issues and very busy breakfast. I hope to see you again when you are next in the area. Thank you for letting me know.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (391)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

So, room rates here aren't cheap starting at £200. Luckily I didn't pay the full whack, but having said that this is not what I would call value for money - I am sure you can get deals. But let's be clear - that did not include breakfast, but the main gripe is the condition of the room.

With a pretty good location, very close to main attractions in Central London it was clear this hotel was aimed at tourists - judging by the amount of them in reception was a good clue! But that doesn't excuse the chain from being completely ignorant about the quality of the rooms. And I appreciate my room was one of at least 400 so my gripes may not be reflective of the entire hotel, however this is my experience and my review!

Fair to say, the air conditioning worked in the room which is something of a miracle in any hotel. But for £170, I expected a half decent room and if the room had been say £80 I probably not have bothered to add photos or a negative review. But this is supposed to be one of Holiday Inn's better hotels?

Well, looking at the photos of my room, you can see it's long overdue of some much needed remedial work. Mould everywhere, ripped bed, stains on the bathroom worktop, a green shower head, a damaged chair and dirty curtains. I think the hostel down the road had better rooms! Not what you expect for £200.

Whilst I cannot fault the staff as everyone was very friendly, if you end up with a room like mine, you may as well spend £60 and find a travel lodge.

Room Tip: Check the room thoroughly before unpacking. If not up to scratch, then demand a new room.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank bluejonny
Mark B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza London - Kings Cross, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Thank you for your review and for staying with us. I am glad that our team here looked after you. We are refurbishing the bedrooms later this year and I am sure you will like our new design. I am sorry that you encountered various housekeeping issues in your room and please accept my apologies for this.
We hope to see you again, so that you can see the improvements we are making. Our best prices are on our Holiday Inn Website - 'Best Price Guarantee' please see the Terms and Conditions. Thank you for letting me know.

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Westbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

This was a business trip for a charity. Previously we had stayed in another hotel close-by and revolted at the shoddy accommodation. This was a huge improvement with all normal facilities. The food was good (dinner and breakfast), interestingly guests are segregated according to whether they are taking an English or Continental Breakfast, so ensure your co-travellers have the same breakfast booking (assuming you want to eat together). The main downside on my room was no opening window, so reliant on aircon. As usual an iron had to be requested from housekeeping.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your kind and positive review and for staying here with us on your business trip for charity. I am glad that you enjoyed both our food and our location. Thank you again for choosing to stay here with us. We hope to see you back very soon.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

I stayed here with a friend in may, we wanted somewhere to crash that was close to kings cross.
I got a really good deal on last minute secret hotels.
The front desk staff were friendly and efficient. We were given a twin room as requested. The room was clean and comfortable. the bed was a little hard for me but acceptable for 1 night.
the bathroom was clean.
We didnt have the breakfast but i would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Mark B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza London - Kings Cross, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
Thank you for your kind review and for staying with us on your trip to London. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your recommendation. I hope to see you back very soon. It is great you got a good deal for your room.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

I must say that the location is pretty good if it's your first time in London but that's all. It's not good value for money, customer service is so disappointing and security is even worse. Not all rooms have a safe and my wallet was stolen in the lobby of the hotel with 3 cctv cameras around. However, according to the manager " none of them were pointing at me". Strange, isn't it?

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Agudo2014
Thank you for your review and for staying with us. I am sorry about your missing wallet and your reported loss from our lobby. The hotel does have CCTV and will be happy to let the authorities deal with the investigation into your unfortunate loss with us. We also have safe deposit facilities for all guests. Thank you for letting me know. I can be contacted at sales@holidayinnlondon.com.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

This is second time to stay in this hotel during business trip.
The hotel is very good, I stayed last month in my previous business trip and same now.
Staff is very friendly and cooperative.
Room is clean and required amenities are available.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your kind and positive review of our hotel and for staying with us. I am glad that you chose to stay again with us for your business trip to London and our hotel staff continue to look after you. Thank you for letting me know.
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

We were in London to see the Viking exhibition at the British Museum. This hotel was ideally placed in a side street, easy walking distance from the main line stations on Euston Road and the Museum. It is also convenient For the tube and bus services. It was difficult to fault this hotel on price, cleanliness, helpful staff, or location. We did not take up the breakfast option at £16,we preferred to use local coffee shops. Bloomsbury is a community with a small modern shopping & eating complex as well as local traders catering for this largely residential area.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Ruthie91
Thank you for your positive review and for staying with us. I am glad that you found the cost of the hotel, location and cleanliness good. It is also pleasing you found our Team here helpful during your stay with us. Thank you for letting us know.