“Great location and good service”

Holiday Inn London Mayfair
Ranked #379 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Newport Beach CA
“Great location and good service”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

We have been staying in this hotel regularly since 1998. The location can't be beat.. Particularly for the easy bus and tube access to everything in London. The staff knows us by name and many are exceptionally helpful and friendly. The bar and restaurant used to be char inky decorated in an English county house manner. Indeed you can still see the beautiful ceiling. But now the furniture is modern and doesn't seen to add to the ambience. The rooms are of a typical size for London. Our bed was a bit lumpy and needed a proper duvet rather than the blanket covered one.
Our bathroom was clean, the shower easy to use and the bathtub was lower to the ground than most English ones. There also were good hand railed to help getting in and out of the tub. They have finally added free wifi for up to two devices per room.
Would I stay there again? Probably because we are so used to the location. I just wish they hadn't changed the public rooms decor.

Room Tip: We always upgrade to an executive room.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
PaulSGeneralManager, General Manager at Holiday Inn London Mayfair, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Dear Harrodsfan

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review following your recent stay. I am glad you enjoyed your visit and appreciate the great location of the hotel. However, I am sorry that you did not find the bed comfortable. We are in the process of changing mattresses and when you next have the opportunity to return, I am sure you will notice the difference. Duvets are provided for all our beds as a standard item.
I am sorry you don't like the decor in the public areas: we try to create a welcoming ambience where possible and I take your comments on board for future reference.

Best Regards,

Paul Spencer, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Israel
Reviewed 18 October 2013

This is the second time I stay in this hotel on a business trip and had I need to pay for it myself I would probably choose another property.
Holiday Inn London enjoys a perfect location making it very easy to explore the city both by foot, bus or tube.
Taking into consideration the price of the hotel, I would expect to find a better pressure in the shower and the bathroom could use a renovation.
Breakfast - poor variety with the worst eggs or coffee. I would skip it and start the day at the Starbucks in front of the hotel or Paul's on Piccadilly.
Having said the above, the perfect location makes it easier to discard the other flows.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
PaulSGeneralManager, General Manager at Holiday Inn London Mayfair, responded to this review, 19 October 2013
Hello einavi,
Thank you for sharing your views of our hotel. I am sorry that you were not completely satisfied with your say here. we are currently updating, renovating and redecorating many of our rooms. I imagine that the one you were assigned was had not yet received attention. Please ask for a newly decorated room on your next visit. I will forward your comments about our breakfast to the Food and Beverage manager for us to investigate together with a view of, making improvements. We take all feedback seriously and act immediately because I believe only you can tell us if what we do is what you want.

Yours sincerely
EVERETT
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Just spent a week at this hotel and want to share a very diffferent experience at a hotel, first let me say hotel's location is perfect, room very clean but could use a furnture update, breakfast was more than suffucient and all employees I came in contact with were very helpful. now the different experience...first day in London ATM ate my card, Barclays Bank, BOA in America were so helpful to me with this problem...but HAYAT an employee at the front desk of hotel saved the day for me, she helped with telephone numbers,gave me the directions on where to go to get my money, she just kept saying don't worry, it will be okay, she was so warm and considerate at a very trying time, I will be returning to this hotel and look forward to a very enjoyable stay... B. Allen

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Dear FREDERIKA,
I am sorry to hear of the difficulty you had and pleased that my staff was able to help. There are great number of hotels in this immediate area many of which can boast Great Location, excellent facilities and Superior Services but only the Holiday Inn Mayfair provide all of this with that human touch. A personal service that is dedicated to you to ensure that your stay with us is as pleasant and rewarding as you would hope.

Thank you very much.
Regards
Ossett, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2013

I love this hotel and have stayed there a few times with family. The location is perfect, and because it is near to Green Park underground station, you can hop on and off the tube to anywhere else you want to go. We always start by walking through the park to Buckingham Palace, and then try to walk to the shops, only when our feet give in do we use the tube. The staff are always pleasant, and concierge very helpful. As a club member, I do get upgraded, so I really cannot fault my room at all. In March I took my Mum for her 70th and the staff gave her wine, chocolates, decorated the room for her, which was amazing. Breakfast is excellent, but can get busy when the hotel is full, so you might have to queue for toast... Not eaten in the restaurant, as always eat out in London. I will be staying here again when next in London for leisure not business.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Dear Sam_x_74,
Thank you very much for your continued custom and taking the trouble to share your experience of our hotel with others.
I note that you are a Rewards programme member and are benefiting from some of the extra value this provides.
We are continually looking at ways to make your stay more enjoyable and hope that this will keep you coming back to us.
Thank you again.

Kind regards
Pail Spencer
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 15 October 2013

The Holiday Inn Mayfair is our favourite hotel in central London, and we have stayed there several times. The location, minutes from Green Park station and a short walk from Piccadilly Circus, is absolutely ideal and the family rooms are quiet, fairly spacious and reasonably priced for London. The front desk and restaurant staff are pleasant, and the buffet breakfast is excellent.
A minor point is that the charges for internet access from the rooms are quite high, so that the single free computer provided in the lobby is frequently rather busy.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Dear 2plus2qva,
As a regular visitor you are amongst our most valued guests! That is the reason behind our comprehensive Rewards Programme. Rewards members can take advantage of some excellent benefits, one of which is Free Wi-Fi for those of a certain level of membership. This is soon to be awarded to all members. I hope that you are already a member but if you are not please join-up on your next visit.

Best regards
Lymington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

We regularly stay at this hotel for the convenience of its location in London. We are rarely disappointed with the service, the rooms and the friendly staff - some of whom have been here for many years, which always says a lot about a hotel. Breakfast was very well set out with everything you could want, with lovely fresh food. Our latest stay was Saturday 12th October. Despite a slight problem during our stay with regard to the temporary re-location of the bar, which we felt we should have been informed about, the hotel staff handled our complaints in a very friendly and satisfactory manor. We will definitely be back on our next visit to London.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pceskew
Dear pceskew,
I recently bought a door from an on-line retailer. The door was sent to the wrong address and whilst I can understand how that could happen I was unhappy with the attitude of the staff who rather expected me to accept that "These things happen and there's is nothing they could do". Of course I could see that the fault laid firmly with the delivery company but there is something the retailer could have done and that is accept responsibility and put it right.
I understand that we do not always get it right here at the Holiday Inn Mayfair, but when a problem occurs we take responsibility and immediate action to put it right.
Thank you for staying with us and I look forward to your next visit.

Yours sincerely.

England
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We stayed here for a weekend away in London, I picked the hotel for location and convenience and am so glad I chose this one!
It reminds me of a New York hotel in that from the outside it doesn't look much but on the inside it's great.
The location is perfect, a tube station within a minutes walk and only ten minutes on foot to oxford street etc.
Staff are spot on, specific mention to Nora who seated us at breakfast and was very attentive and polite but overall all the staff were good.
Lots of little touches too which makes a difference so the management have clearly got there act together with the bits that make stay that little bit more special.
Rooms good, nice and clean and no issues. Public areas good too.
Somebody moaned about wi fi in the hotel but they had a free public computer for people to use and I had 4g signal too, if it's that much of an issue Starbucks is directly opposite the main entrance and I did utilise it for a coffee or two!
Overall a good solid London hotel and very good location , it was an ideal base for us to enjoy the city.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Mooky9
Dear Mooky9
I am extremely pleased that you were happy staying with us. We endeavour to go that extra mile , to do that little bit more in ensuring that you our guests, are fully satisfied. it is therefore, hugely rewarding to read a review such as yours as it tells me that we are progressing in the right direction. T
hank you very much for your valued custom and I look forward to seeing you in the future.