“Beware of Confusing Room Choices on the Internet”

Holiday Inn London Mayfair
Ranked #391 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 19 February 2014

This hotel basically has 3 room choices. A standard room that can be as a double or as twin beds, an executive room that is slightly larger or a suite. When booking on the internet there are several other choices that make it confusing as to what you are going to get and I think it is deliberate. I booked a deluxe room and of course there is no such category at the hotel. When checking in I was told that I was in an upgraded room after paying about £50 per night more than the standard room but I found out that I was in fact in a standard room so it was the receptionist that did this deliberately. After complaining I was then upgraded. I would not have found out that they were deliberately cheating me if I had not been able to look at another standard room that I had booked for my sister.

I have stayed here several time before as it is in the right location for central London and it is usually a decent price but I do object to being cheated.They also charge an exorbitant fee for internet access. When are hotels going to learn that it should be free. It cost nothing to provide.

I shall choose another hotel next time

Room Tip: Difficult as all the rooms are of a similar quality and some of the Executive Rooms are marginally l...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank PaulVincent
PaulSGeneralManager, General Manager at Holiday Inn London Mayfair, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Dear Mr Vincent,

thank you for posting a review of our hotel. I am really concerned that you believe that we have attempted to cheat you. The first room you were given was indeed an executive room and certainly our Receptionist was not trying to deceive you. Not all of our executive rooms have the same layout, however all of them include executive amenities, such as bathrobes and slippers, upgraded toiletries, complimentary F&B amenities and a seating area.

Please accept my apologies for not meeting your expectations on this occasion and I sincerely hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Best regards,
Paul Spencer

Write a ReviewReviews (2,270)

Reviewed 14 February 2014

Stayed two rooms x three nights around New Year. Hotel is of generally acceptable quality.

The good points:

1.1 First impressions are that this hotel is in need of refurbishment. As time went on, we became accustomed to the décor and it grew on us, more of a homely atmosphere. It is not cheap, but then it's in Mayfair so pricing is expected. Just think that for the price, the décor needs an uplift.

1.2 Location is excellent. The Big Bus depot is just around the corner and Buckingham Palace is only about eight minutes walk through Green Park (also Underground entry here). Taxis are frequent at the front door.

1.3 Short taxi ride to the theatre district and other attractions.

Not so good points:

2.1 We had a rear facing room, which as quiet, but also overlooked the garbage skip and other office buildings. Wifi is extra and expensive. The minibar fridge is wired - take any item out of the fridge and it is immediately charged to your bill, even if you just want to read the label! There's no way to keep you own purchases chilled.

2.2 The lobby is quite small by Holiday Inn standards and the concierge isn't too helpful, at least not coming forward to assist (so expect to carry your own bags to your room).

2.3 The hotel is inside the congestion zone. So if you have a car there is an extra cost of GBP10 daily to stay at this hotel.

Tips:

3.1 There is a Sainsbury's supermarket about two minutes walk away (turn right from hotel driveway, then across the road). Also a M&S Food around the corner, left from hotel then right a few steps. Avoids the minibar system (in 1.1 above), and much more choice! Get ice from room service.

3.2 There is a Starbucks directly across the road with a good coffee and panini breakfast, and free wifi. Saves the cost of hotel wifi (as in 1.1 above) and is also a good place to strike up conversation with the drivers of the Big Bus - great to find out what's on or get sightseeing tips! These drivers seem to use Starbucks as their staff canteen!

Overall, an acceptable hotel to stay based on location. Price equates to location. But I just wish they would trust their guests a little more and allow access to the fridge for a pint of milk!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Hotel_Inspector_HK
PaulSGeneralManager, General Manager at Holiday Inn London Mayfair, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2014

Dear Hotel_Inspector_HK,
I am glad that you chose our hotel and happy that it met with your approval. Our hotel is ideally located for every aspect of London living. All the main shopping precincts are with a short distance as are the theatres and famous landmarks. We also take pride in the services offered and try our very best to provide very good value for money.
The hotel is undergoing refurbishment at present and many of our rooms have already received attention with the remaining ones soon to be completed.
I am sorry that you found the porters less than attentive and I will be discussing this with the Head Concierge.
I hope that we have done enough to tempt you back and for you to keep us as your place to stay in the future.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

My husband had booked us an upgraded room via telephone but when we arrived (on my Birthday) the upgrade hadn't been put on the system. The lovely front desk lady Sarah Nezam switched some bookings round so she could sort us the room we wanted. She was so helpful and polite. Thank you! We had a lovely stay and fab trip!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Jayne J,
I am happy to receive such a positive review of our hotel and am sure Sarah will be delighted to know that you took the trouble to mention her. I am however, sorry that we did not have the right room ready for you on arrival but thanks to Sarah I see that the matter was dealt with.
Thank you for your understanding and thoughtfulness.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

This is a particularly good quaility Holiday Inn and is reasonably priced as the hotel is located just off Picadilly and only a 10 minutes walk to Picadilly Circus. The rooms are of a very good standard but the WiFi is only complimentary if you are an Elite or Gold member of their IHG Club. There is only one restaurant which also combines with a bar but for convenience and value for money, I can recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo

Hello roryjdoyle,

I am glad that we met your expectations and provided a services and facilities worthy of your recommendation. I hope we will be the hotel that you choose next time you plan a visit to London.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights over the weekend. The room was clean and a decent size for what you need it for. The bed was very comfy and had no problems getting a good nights sleep. Our room was on the 4th floor facing an office block so it was quiet. The staff were all friendly and helpful. We booked combination tickets for a couple of attractions online and had to print off the confirmation to pick up our tickets. The receptionist was very helpful and printed it off for us after we sent it to her e-mail address. The location is fantastic and within walking distance of a lot of the attractions. Would recommend this hotel for its location alone!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Caralyn L,
Thank you for your review and recommendation. I hope you will not just recommend us to others but will come back again. We will always welcome you.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

I arrived about 7pm for a four-night stay, having reserved as an IHG Platimum member. The check-in form was, as one expects, ready for a simple signature. I was welcomed back as a member and told that they had arranged that I would be impressed. I presumed this meant that I had been upgraded (in accordance with member status). However, I noticed that the keys handed to me were not for the room number that had been recorded on the check-in form in advance but then crossed out at some point.

We made our way to room 301, to find that it was a standard room and that it wasn't impressive.

I returned to reception and asked for clarification. At that point, and only because I asked, I was told that the upgrade room they intended to put me in wasn't ready for occupancy (at 7pm?). They said that nothing other than a standard room was available but that they would try and move me later in my stay. Why wasn't I told that in the first place? I wouldn't have minded but I did mind that reception staff apparently hoped that I wouldn't notice and that I wouldn't be treated as a Platimum member after all.

Well, unless the bed has been changed since, avoid room 301 like the plague. The bed creaked, was horribly soft, and my wife and I spent a miserable night tossing and turning.

Thankfully, we were moved to an executive room the next day. I must say, though, that it didn't differ greatly from a standard room, aside from being supplied with slippers and a robe. The Times newspaper appeared under the door of the executive room each morning, so I presumed it was part of the service. Later discovered I had been charged for this, even though I hadn't ordered it. However, staff at checkout deleted those fees.

Please, Holiday Inn Mayfair, move the room safe somewhere else. In both rooms we occupied, it was located on the floor of the wardrobe. You literally had to go down on your hands and knees to use it. If you were disabled or elderly, forget it!

This hotel is very well located and the staff were friendly and, generally, helpful. WiFi is apparently only free to Elite members, otherwise it was (to my mind) terribly expensive. And the free service comes with a warning that the connection speed is not strong enough for 'streaming'. In this day and age, and in central London, not having high-speed and free-of-charge WiFi seems ridiculous. If a corner cafe can provide free WiFi, then surely the Holiday Inn group can too. I've heard all the excuses before and they don't stand up to scrutiny.

The hotel seems very popular and probably deserves to be. I would happily return, but I would ask to check out the allocated room, and its bed, before I unpacked.

See seperate review of Nightingales restaurant, which provided very mixed service.

I really like the IHG group and always try to stay in their hotels. I've given a 'very good' rating because I don't wish to be too negative but there certainly were disappointing aspects to this visit.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank aberdeenangler

Dear aberdeenangler,
Thank you very much for your detailed review. I am glad that overall, you were happy with your stay but I can see that we did not get it right for you the first time. I will ask for an immediate inspection of the bed in room 301 and will have it replaced where neccessary. We strive to get it right first time because sometimes there is no second chance. I am pleased however, that you have indicated your intention to return to us again and I will ensure that we do our utmost to get it right the first time.

Kind regards.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

Could not sleep due to noise coming from pipes or boilers. When we complained the member of staff that came to our room said he could not hear anything. That really annoyed us. He did offer for us to move but this was after we had gone to bed and wanted a restful night sleep as we had business to attend to on the following day. We have stayed at this hotel on numerous occasions and are disappointed that we were put in that room as the staff must be aware of it's location to the boilers.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear Nesta D,
Thank you very much for leaving details of your stay. I am looking into this matter and have asked the engineer to see what can be done immediately and in the long term to prevent a repeat of your experience. I am also trying to identify the Duty Manager on the night in question for his input. I am very sorry that your quality of sleep was compromised and want to ensure that when you next return your stay will be a far more pleasant experience, therefore, please contact our Reception Manager, Phippipos Ghirmey or in his absence, any manager on duty who will guarantee you a room that meets your requirements.

Kind Regards