“expensive, but good stay”

Holiday Inn London Mayfair
Ranked #385 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 16 September 2009

stayed here with a person in a wheelchair. the room was excellent, pity there was no shower but lots of space. very good location, close to a lot of sights. the staff was very courtious, gave every bit of help and information that we needed. there are two elevators but one is out of order due to renovations so long waits wich is a pity when you cannot use the staircase. the hotel is definitely older and a bit tired, but good staff, clean and a good breakfast. overall a good stay.

• Stayed: September 2009
HotelGuestRelations, Guest Relation Manager at Holiday Inn London Mayfair, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2009

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to write and post a review. Only you can tell us if we are meeting your needs and expectations, we were very glad that you found our hotel pleasing and hope that you enjoyed your stay with us. The elevators are receiving attention and we expect full service with-in a few weeks. We are also reviewing the service offered by our staff and assure you that improvements are already evident. We endeavour to make our rates highly competitive and trust you will find this so in the future.

All feedback both positive and otherwise is shared with our teams on a regular basis with a view to improving the standards that we pride ourselves on consistently delivering here at the hotel.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn London Mayfair

Reviewed 14 September 2009

Booked this room using free room offer so no charge, the room itself seemed ok but a little tired, the tv reception was very poor most channels unwatchable but it was the bathroom that caused most concern! there was black mould all round the bath and fittings and the bathroom door could not be closed at all.
This is the first time that I have ever had to complain at a Holiday Inn, the reception seemed very surprised that there should be a problem but offered me another room this was a big improvement but the bathroom still left a lot to be desired.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to write and post a review. Only you can tell us if we are meeting your needs and expectations, we were very pleased that you stayed in our hotel.

We are most disappointed to learn that your experience with other aspects and staff of the hotel ‘had been less than satisfactory’, please accept our sincere apologies. We will be looking at each of the issues you raised, sharing them with our teams with a view to preventing any such reoccurrence.

We would be delighted to see you again, please do contact us at himayfair-guestrelations@ihg.com so we can assist with your next visit to London.

Reviewed 11 September 2009

We stayed three nights at this hotel to take in the sights of the greatest city on earth. My wife and I brought our 18 and 20 year olds and rented two rooms, including an executive suite. The location is excellent - in Mayfair - and close to everything. But that's where the quality element ends. The hotel is run down and staff have the worst attitude I have ever encountered in any hotel in the world...and I have been in many countries. I don't know where to start or where to end so I will give just a few of the experiences and let you judge for yourself. There are two very slow elevators. One was down the whole time leaving a single elevator the size of a broom closet. The front desk staff were non-chalant at best. Rude at the worst. One effeminate male front desk clerk answered my question but I couldn't hear him as he spoke softly and very fast. I asked him to kindly speak up a little and he looked at me like I had two heads and raised his eyes to the ceiling. You don't need that attitude, especially when you're paying the equivalent of $600 a night for a flea-bag hotel! I am a member of Holiday Inn Priority Club, which means that upon arrival you get a free bottle of water. The water I was given was some awful sparkling water that tasted disgusting. I asked if I could have a bottle of spring water instead. ONE bottle of spring water. The front desk clerk said NO, I would have to buy a bottle of spring water. The cost? Get a load of this...$4 !!! Talk about feeling violated. The restaurant on site will squuze you as well. Unless you are a politician or the company is paying your bill, you don't appreciate being gouged. I brought my family to this hotel and thought that a Holiday Inn would have some acceptable standard. Wrong! I asked the conceirge for directions and he responded as if I asked him the most stupid question in the world. Awful awful attitude of these staff. Simply ridiculous. The rooms were pathetic. The equivalant of what you would find for $49 a night in the rough part of Detroit or Toronto. A dirty, run-down, tired hotel staffed by people with brutal attitudes. The only redeeming points of this whole experience was the location and the existence of a Sainsbury's grocery store across the street. For those of you fellow North Americans who might not be familiar with Sainsbury's, Sainsbury's is the third largest and best supermarket in the UK and it was a God-send. We don't have any supermarket as fine as Sainsbury's in all of North America. It provides the customer with exquisite ready-made food for the protein lover or vegetarian alike. We shopped there every day and were amazed at all of the variety of food and drinks at ridiculously-low prices! And I am talking about very high quality food. Don't eat at this hotel...or any hotel in London. Go to Sainsbury's!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to write and post a review. Only you can tell us if we are meeting your needs and expectations, we were very pleased that you found our location to your liking.

Reviewed 10 September 2009

In the age where most hotel chains (and yes, even Holiday Inn) try to re-invent themselves and become design and boutique, what should be the brand flagship, in prime location and charging high prices, is actually the most run-down I have ever seen. Much wear and tear, dirty carpet, claustrophobic bathroom, and an old-style TV. I was happy I only spend my loyalty points there. Yes, location is great, but if they charge you higher than GBP 150, then simply book an Holiday Express a bit further down (like Kensington), which offers a much better room for much cheaper.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 September 2009

The only good thing about this hotel is location. Only one elevator worked and that was sporadic at best, at one point we were instructed to use the service elevator and had to ride up and down with bags of dirty laundry. We were on the 4th floor and had to use the stairs a few times. The concierge service was non-existent, when I asked for directions to a nearby restaurant I was given a map with no further assistance offered or given when asked. When I complained to the concierge regarding other service issues he suggested I write a letter to the manager. The AC in the room barely worked and when we finally got it to a liveable temp, the housekeeper would change it every morning. Housekeeping was minimal, we stayed a week and the bedding was never changed, the trash baskets were only emptied twice and the floor was never vacuumed. One morning my daughter used the last of the toilet paper before we left for the day, when we returned that evening the toilet paper had not been replenished, when I called the front desk to request more, the housekeeper brought us an opened roll from another room.

• Stayed: August 2009

Reviewed 8 September 2009

Stayed several times mainly because of location - just next to Green Park Tube. Rates can vary depending on demand. I stayed here last time for £104 per night (no breakfast) which is a bargain. Added to that I had a room upgrade as well. Rooms are acceptable for an older hotel in London. Trick is to join Holiday Inn Priority Club and then you are more likely to get an upgrade. Public spaces are poor and restaurant is convinient but best go out. Consierge is very helpful and stores luggage that would cost you £10 at any rail station.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to write and post a review. Only you can tell us if we are meeting your needs and expectations, we were very glad that you found our hotel pleasing and hope that you enjoyed your stay with us. The elevators are receiving attention and we expect full service with-in a few weeks. We are also reviewing the service offered by our staff, our accomodation and room rates and assure you that improvements are already evident.

Reviewed 6 September 2009

I stayed there after a surgery in a wheelchair access room, it was comfortable.

• Stayed: September 2009