“Excellent, but”

InterContinental London Park Lane
Ranked #181 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 27 June 2012

This was the fourth or fifth stay at the Intercontinental Park Lane. The staff are always very polite and welcoming, the bedrooms have always been spotlessly clean. the bed as with other Intercontinentals is super comfortable - like sleeping on a cloud, always a good nights sleep after a long journey.

The hotel is located in a superb position, close to shopping in Knightsbridge, Buckingham Palace and Hyde Park are over the road, and most of central London is within easy walking distance. Hyde Park tube and buses are right outside the front door.

I have eaten at Theo Randall maybe 4 or 5 times, the food and service are always excellent. This time we also ate at The Cookbook Cafe, also an excellent choice.

Mostly positives, but a few minor negatives, mainly in the detail. If you are an Intercontinental Ambassador (as I am), this location only uogrades one room category, many other locations upgrade to best available rooms.

As noted previously Ambassadors are supposed to be given a few perks:

Bottled water refreshed daily, but not here, you'll need to ask for it.

A bowl of fruit is supposed to be provided, as previously noted 3 apples dont make a bowl of fruit, but here they do.

Welcome gift - here consists of a packet of shortbread, at other locations this has been, a candleholder, a silk shoe bag, a bottle of wine (not a half bottle), a pack of custom greeting cards or a custom souvenir plate.

Not much to grumble about? Well the room rate on Trooping of the Colour weekend was £700+ per night!

This would have been a 5* review, but because of the minor negatives its 4*. However, I will return again, this is an excellent hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (2,561)

Reviewed 27 June 2012

There's really nothing that stands out in this hotel experience. The staff were courteous, the room was very nice and the location was excellent, but nothing really exceeded my expectations.

However, it's definitely worth having a meal at Theo Randall, the Italian restaurant in the lobby. Lovely food and reasonably priced for what you're getting.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2012

I agree with the previous reviewer about the small things that should have been right but were not. I was one of these.
If you sleep lightly make sure you request a room that is not on the same side as the main road that all the emergency service vehicles use. Sirens all night.
There were three faults with my room. The wardrobe door wouldn't close therefore the light stayed on. I had to tape it closed to sleep. The Bose sound dock didn't work. My paper wasn't delivered in the morning.
Plus side. The chicken Caesar salad from room service was honestly the best piece of chicken I have ever eaten in my life.
I did mention this to the hotel and was given a verbal apology. Again, I admit I am biased to InterCon however my experience here was not a wow one.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 June 2012

There is an expectation with a brand, particulary a brand that targets the premium end of a market. The Intercontinental Park Lane did not quite do it for me.

I stayed here with my colleague, we were guests at a function eing held at the hotel. We all had seperate rooms, so were more modern than others.
I can't get excited about hotels, food yes I will and do have an opinion, hotels, my foot is in the bed for a night camp!
The service was as I expected, polished, friendly with attention to detail.My room was ok, a tad twee if I was honest, it was spotless, the TV, however, was showing signs of age.

We meet up in the bar in the afternoon, £7 for a bottle of beer!!! I shouldn't have been surprised, I do expect to pay a little more but twice as much as normal, the fact we were on expenses is no excuse.

Breakfast was ok, standard fare, I'm to polite to ask the cost, I guess it falls into the same category as the beer!!!

My overiding thought on reflection is one of disappointment.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank mobile_mackem
Reviewed 24 June 2012

Elegantly designed hotel ideally located on Hyde Park Corner, flawless housekeeping, spot on staff everywhere.

Deluxe Room featured a Bang & Olufsen TV and Bose radio clock with IPhone/IPod connecting.

Breakfast at "Cookbook Café" and dinner at "Theo Randall" were well worth the price.

Only negative thing: WiFi prices are out of this world.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JanBerlin
Reviewed 23 June 2012

The foyer of this hotel immediately makes you feel you gave stepped into a tranquil oasis and it just gets better when you get to the rooms. The rooms are beautifully appointed and quite spacious by London standards. I was particularly pleased with how quiet the room was given it is very near one of the busiest roads in London. Service is very attentive. The location is very good, just opposite Hyde Park and short walk to Harrods, Oxford street etc. The on,y thing I would fault is expensive and not very good room service. Will definitely be back.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 June 2012

The Intercontinental is extremely nice. Excellent service, beds and you really can't beat this location as its right next to Buckingham Palace with a Tube stop right outside the door. The drawbacks are ridiculous price for breakfast and paying for the internet. If you pay as much as you do for a quality hotel internet should be included - just my opinion.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family