“Luxe and location make this place. Attentive staff and great restaurant help.”

InterContinental London Park Lane
Ranked #181 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 3 January 2011

This hotel is one of my favorites in the InterContinental brand. Everything you would expect from a five-star hotel you get it including a fantastic restaurant. It is in Mayfair, which is a beautiful and safe area of London. Also walking distance to Oxford Cir and Picadilly, Harrod's, Knightsbridge, the Underground. They have the most amazing breakfast buffet that is 60 GBP per person. It includes many locally sourced ingredients including most of the cheeses made in England! And homemade granola, chef stationed omelette bar, etc. Get a rate including breakfast and go during the last seating to start your day off well nourished. The only drawback was a slight billing issue so be sure to review your bill before checking out. The linens are sumptuous, soft, awesome.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank portmill01
Write a ReviewReviews (2,595)

Reviewed 2 January 2011

I stayed here for my 30th birthday using my Priority Points and I guess I came to this hotel thinking "wow, this is THE Intercontinental on PARK LANE". The names "Intercontinental" and "Park Lane" made me expect a really exceptional place, that's why I chose it out of all the other hotels in London. I must admit, when I first arrived at the hotel at the front doors, I honestly thought I was at the wrong entrance (or even the service entrance) as it didn't look anything special like I am used to, staying in many different hotels around the world with my job. Once I had worked out it was the main entrance, the door men were very welcoming. The reception area was very clean and white, but there was nothing special about it. There were no big ceilings or a nice lobby. Just three desks in a row. I was a bit underwhelmed.

The room was very nice. The bed was really comfortable and big. Not much of a view. Just looking out to another building across the road. The room was clean and neat, though "cosy" in size. It's everything you'd want in a typical hotel room.

I'm the sort of person who usually goes straight to the information book to see what this hotel has to offer.... There wasn't one. I looked in every drawer and cupboard with no luck. It wasn't until after about half an hour that I noticed it in the TV menu. It was not very detailed and I'm sure people would struggle using the remote control to get through the menus. I was after an ironing board, which I couldn't find in the room, so once I worked out I had to request one, housekeeping brought one up straight away. At first I was a bit concerned that I wouldnt get my shirt ironed for dinner that night, but crisis was over.

The location of the hotel is good. It's not the most central to a business person or tourist, but its definitely not in the middle of nowhere. For the price, you probably could get somewhere equally nice, much more central to the big attractions.

I was waken up by someone trying to get into my room at 9am the following morning. It was lucky I had the door locks on, otherwise I still would have been in bed when someone walked in. I assumed it was house keeping, even though I had requested a late check out as I wanted a sleep in. I reported it to reception on check out and they waived a very expensive packet of nuts I had used from the mini bar, which was nice... but in the end didn't get that sleep in I was after.

If i was to suggest two things to the management.... one would be to re-introduce a book/folder of hotel information for guests. As modern and high tech as it is going through the menus on the TV, I'm thinking guests could find this complicated at first and there is not as much detail as expected about the hotels services. The second would be to improve the appearance of the main entrance to the hotel. Even a sign above the door saying the name of the hotel would be good. The entrance is not on Park Lane, so a sign or something might be useful.

People reading this review may think it's a very fussy review, but please keep in mind that I booked a night in this hotel with very high expectations, especially with my experience with other intercontinental hotels. It was still a very pleasant stay. The staff were very nice, the hotel and rooms were very clean and neat. I would absolutely recommend people stay here and you wont be dissappointed. All I would say is that you don't have extremely high expectations like I did.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank lilspark80
Reviewed 2 January 2011

The location of this hotel is superb. Just a short walk down Picadilly, and you hit a Marks and Spencer, a Starbucks, and a Pret a Manger if you are looking for some cheap eats. A few more minutes and you pass a lot of great shopping including Fortnum and Mason and Jermyn Street and then Picadilly Circus.

I am used to traveling in Europe and experiencing small rooms, but this room, although very comfortable, was a bit small for the price.

The service and attitude of the employees from the doormen to the restaurant waitresses was fantastic. I did not try Theo Randall, so I can't comment on that.

Here are some tips:
To get to the nearest Tube Stop (Hyde Park Corner) make a right out of the hotel and another right so you walk around the side of the hotel. You will go into a subway (not a subway train but a British subway which refers to an underground passage) straight through and up to ground level again. Keep walking and then you will go underground in another subway and in this subway follow the signs to the Tube.

The breakfast at the hotel restaurant is pretty decent with a good selection of cold and hot items. It's pricey at 28 GBP but if you tell the front desk ahead of time they can add it to your room for 20 GBP. Check to make sure that breakfast isn't included first.

Internet access is a whopping 15 GBP for 24 hours but you can go into a Vodafone store and get a USB Mobile Broadband dongle for 20 GBP. This dongle comes with 3 GB of data (more than enough for a few days or even weeks) and lasts 1 month. You can also get similar sticks with a little faster internet speed from Orange or O2, but my research found that Vodafone's was the cheapest.

I just got a notice (I'm currently writing from the hotel) that remodeling of the lobby begins tomorrow until the end of January 2011 which moves the restaurant (not Theo Randall) and other lobby amenities to suites upstairs, so you might want to take this into consideration if you plan to stay in January 2011.

Overall, I really enjoyed my stay here. Concierge was also very helpful especially as we were here for New Year's Eve and wanted to watch the fireworks but not battle crowds since my wife is pregnant. They gave us multiple options and we ended up with one of them (in front of Buckingham Palace).

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank unejam
Reviewed 27 December 2010

Good hotel in a good location. Striking reception area, comfortable elegant rooms. Room service arrived promptly and was of a decent standard for room service. Would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 December 2010

I've stayed here a few times. The first was so awful that I didn't come back for three years; the next two were pretty good; this one was terrible.

A few weeks ago, this IC earned a spot in my heart for waiving a cancellation fee despite me cancelling late. I decided to reward them by booking a stay in mid-December at almost £400 a night.

I've got a Royal Ambassador Platinum card so I expected my preference for a quiet room with no connecting door to be honoured. When I got to the room, it had a connecting door. I rang down and was told that I would need to speak to the Rooms Controller who would call me back. 20 minutes later and there had been no call. I couldn't get unpacked or get ready for dinner. I called back. "Why do you need to speak to the room controller?" asked an almost hostile voice. I explained. "Reception can help you with that. Hold on". I poke to reception. It was 7pm but I was told that the only other room available was a twin on a smoking floor: obviously untrue since guests continued to check in throughout the evening when I passed through reception. Translation: "we can't be bothered to change the room allocations". Obviously, the person in the connecting room had a persistent cough and I got very little sleep

The fan in the room's heating system was broken (and very noisy) but that was fixed while I was out.

It took two phone calls to get non-feather pillows (which are on my profile)

If this is how they treat their top-tier cardholders, I can only imagine how they treat the rest.

Breakfast costs a minimum of £35 and a one-minute call to a UK landline will set you back £3. Quite appalling.

The rooms are small but quite comfortable.

The gym is really very good and quite exceptional by hotel standards.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank MarkCWales
Reviewed 7 December 2010

Stunning hotel with a great room and just round the corner from Nobu
Oh and Theo Randall Food is not bad either
Its pricey but you get what you pay for

Room is stunning and service is A1

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 December 2010

I haven't a clue what a 'stay with Priority Club points" involves but I did enjoy the stay at the Intercontinental London regardless. I stayed 4 night end of November (Thanksgiving for those from the States). The room was a "classic" room and so a smaller room with a view of the courtyard (no view) but given the general lack of sun the lack of a view wasn't much of an issue. The smaller rooms are a good size room and equal to most studio apartments in London (or so I was told by a local). The location was ideal as the underground was near and the area was nice. If traveling from the States some preparation will make the trip and the stay more pleasant. Acquire the Oyster card in advance for the mass transit as you can take the Underground from the airport . Acquire a convenient map of London in advance or a app on your phone for mapping as the only maps of London are quite large. Ask the mini bar be emptied immediately so you can shop up the street for drinks and snacks.

I must admit some issues appeared to be lost in translation between "5 Star" and common sense. I found no information on the hotel services in the room so I was a bit lost on how to address common requests. I asked three staff for a razor over a course of 4 hours prior to the delivery of a razor. I asked twice for the mini bar to be emptied. I always used the two towels in the room but never received more than two towels. No lack of staff to turn down the bed each night, though.

The breakfast buffet was a wide assortment of foods to accommodate a wide assortment of visitors. Breakfast starts at 6:30 AM and I suspect the quality is highest at 6:30 AM so wake up early. In a 4 night stay breakfast was buffet two mornings and room service two mornings. The quality was equal but the quanity was not equal. The room service pancakes were an al a carte size at best, as an example. So stick with the breakfast buffet or order the continental breakfast and the pancake breakfast.

The gym was very nice and located on the second floor. The main entrance was under construciton so no grand entrance during my visit. The hotel bars and restaurants are very popular. The rooms were clean and well appointed. The TV channels were very limited and included endless sports channels. BBC with the same shows repeated time and time again.

The doormen were cute and very friendly so a nice entry and exit to the hotel day or night.

Internet was 15 pounds so I paid nearly $100 USD for 4 days of Intenet. Internet should be at no cost at all hotels! I used Internet extensively to communicate and plan.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple