“great location”

Ranked #438 of 1,090 Hotels in London
Sacramento, California
“great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

Stayed here for 6 nights about 2 weeks ago. We got there earlier than our check-in time so we left our bags and walked around the city until we checked-in in that night. The staff is great and really helpful. Our room was a twin room and it was small but we weren't planning on being in our room other than to sleep. The shower water temperature was hard to adjust but other than that the bathroom and the room itself was good. The breakfast came with our reservation and it was good. It served both hot and cold foods. The hotel is only a 5 minute walk to the closest tube stop and I would highly recommend learning to use their metro station as it's the cheapest and easiest way around the city although it's a bit complicated to use the first coupe times. The hotel is in a safe neighborhood and right across from Kensington Park. I would definitely stay here again! Only negative is that the wifi isn't free. I mostly needed it to contact my parents and to research locations and look up areas on my phone's map before heading out to the city.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank shookoolate

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

I stayed here with a group of 16 Travel Club Members as part of our 8 day tour of London and Paris. The hotel is within a 5 min walk to grocery stores, pharmacies, restaurants, night life and 2 Underground Tube Stations. You can also walk around the corner and across the street to Kensington Square and further down to Kensington Palace! I found the hotel to be very clean with friendly staff. Happy Hour is from 6 – 8:30p and they serve 2-4-1 drink specials which I found to be impressive for a hotel bar. The hotel also serves daily breakfast but I didn’t find it to be too flattering. Up the street from the hotel are several restaurants and they were loaded with friendly people and good food. Overall, here are my observations on Lancaster Gate Hotel

Pros –
Serves breakfast – Although I didn’t find it flattering it still saved money!
Easily Accessible to public transportation, nightlife, and major attractions via short walk
Friendly and welcoming staff
Large Rooms
Large Elevators

Cons
No wash clothes in room – although I always travel with my own, this may a problem for others
No free wifi

Overall I’d stay here again because of the location of the hotel being right in between 2 Underground Stations and within close reach to everyday life necessities.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank whv247
Buffalo, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

Stayed 7 nights at Lancaster gate Hotel. Since we arrived early before check-in time, our room was not ready so we left our bags at the reception and walked to Portebello Market. Service was excellent. The triple room we had was adequate for the 3 of us. Room was clean and beds comfortable. Excellent location is close to Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens. Downside no free wifi! Otherwise nice hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Agnes6210
Port Chester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

I traveled from July 17-27, 2014. This hotel was picked from expedia because we could have 3 people share a room. Not sure why, but it was kind of difficult to find a hotel to accommodate 3 of us. Location was good – parallel to Hyde Park in between 2 tube stations. Hotel was very clean and had a bar & restaurant (they had the same menu). There is no a/c in the halls to rooms, and the a/c in the rooms isn’t very powerful. London (or Europe in general) isn’t a huge fan of air conditioning (as we are in the states) – so it takes some getting used to (mall, stores, pubs – common not to have any a/c). Wi-Fi is an extra charge. There is only 1 outlet in the bedroom – which proved a little challenging for 3 people with cell phones. You can borrow a power strip with extra plugs for a daily fee. I thought this was a little ridiculous that in this day & age – there would only be 1 outlet. Staff was helpful though. Also – just note that places stop serving food by 9:45-10pm.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Emily210
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed at Lancaster Gate Hotel for 3 nights.
The nearest tube station is ‘Lancaster gate’ (when you come out of ‘Lancaster gate’ tube station turn right go straight up the road, pasted ‘The Swan’ pub and the hotel is about 2 minutes’ walk away on your right hand side).
The hotel is also about a 5 or 10 minute walk to/from Paddington train station (but we only realised this on our last day)
We arrived about 10pm, Check-In was very smooth and the reception lady was polite and informed us about breakfast times etc…
Our room was on the 6th floor, the room was very clean and complete with Tea/Coffee making facilities, Trouser Press, Electronic safe, Flat screen TV (with loads on TV channels to choose from) Fridge, seating area and working desk, there was also extra pillows / blankets too (which was ideal as I like a lot of pillows)
The bathroom was very clean, and had a Shower & Bath; it also had complementary toiletries along with 4 towels (I did miss not having a face cloth though) and hair dryer.
Over all the room was perfect for a city break and the bed was comfortable too, the air-conditioning worked (and was welcome, as it was really hot in London during our stay).
Breakfast was included during our stay, there were numerous different cereals, breads and fruits to choose from, and there was also a good selection of hot food to choose from too. Over all I was really happy with the selection on offer for breakfast. We ate at the hotel once in the evening, (I had the Scampi and my partner had a curry), the food was very nice and reasonably priced too! (About £10 per dish), the carpet though in the dining area needs replacing, it’s filthy, and quite off-putting.
The hotel also has a promotion: 2-for-1 on cocktails from 6pm – 8pm every day, Wi-Fi is £5 per 24 hours, and if you charge it to your room, you can use up to 4 devices, I can’t comment on the speed as I didn’t’ avail of it.
The hotel is perfectly located and it’s just opposite Hyde Park, as the weather was nice we walked / strolled to a few sights over the long weekend: The Diana Memorial Fountain is about a 20 minute walk, Buckingham Palace is a nice 40 minute walk – all via Hyde Park, You can be in central London in about 20 minutes on the Tube (Westminster / London Eye).
Over all I enjoyed my stay here, and I’d certainly come back / recommend (just don’t be put off by the dining room / restaurant carpet)
*Tip: ‘The Swan’ pub around the corner from the hotel is the perfect spot for evening drinks / entertainment, and the food there is good too.

Room Tip: ‘The Swan’ pub around the corner from the hotel is the perfect spot for evening drinks / entertainme...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank AlanWhiteman
Butler, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

I was not disappointed by my selection online of this property. Our good sized room was locatd on the first floor with no steps. The room was nicely appointed including iron, ironing board, teapot and tea service, in room safe and hair dryer. The bathroom was large and clean as was the room.
The staff was very friendly and always helpful answering my endless questions. The breakfast buffet was plentiful, hot and constantly maintained. We easily walked to underground and bus stations feeling very safe doing so even after dark.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near to the elevator if you want no steps. We never heard a sound from the elevator.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank mary108
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

My room was nice near Hyde Park but do not get it confused with a larger Hotel called The Lancaster. The hotel staff was very good but the breakfast was just so so. I would stay again if I were going to London.

Room Tip: I do not have a tip but my room was nice and the staff was very nice.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo