“Helpful staff, good location”

La Suite West - Hyde Park
Ranked #450 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 14 February 2014

If we'd stayed in the first room we were allocated, we wouldn't have awarded four stars and we'd have been yearning for a Premier Inn. Tiny, shower but no bath despite all the marble, view of a wall across a roof.

But we asked the super-helpful lady on reception if she had something else available, and she did! So we moved along the designer-gloomy corridors to a generously sized room with a fantastic bathroom - marble, again, including a bath, fantastic power shower and toasty underfloor heating. Comfortable bed, space for the bags, tea and coffee facilities etc (but no iron & ironing board).

The location is great, two tube stations in near proximity (yes you can hear the rumble occasionally but it's not terrible and they don't run all night), handy for the parks and all kinds of restaurants on your doorstep. Which is lucky if you like meat, because the restaurant is vegetarian and we got the impression it doesn't servce alocoholic drinks either. Breakfast can include some meat, but I didn't fancy the "turkey bacon" on offer so went with the croissants and toast.

We had a great stay, but if you plan to spend any time in the room, make some enquiries on the room size when you book.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
La_Suite_West, General Manager at La Suite West - Hyde Park, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Dear pswift1965,

Thank you for your review.

I am glad that your overall stay with us was an enjoyable one; I am also pleased that my colleagues were able to address your initial concerns and that the outcome exceeded your expectations. This means a lot to us and I hope we can see you again soon!

Best,

Francesco

Reviewed 18 January 2014

It is incredibly negative of me to not leave five stars, so let me state that first...

I'm checking out tomorrow and writing the review from the beautiful terrace, the building is glorious, tastefully decorated outside and within, with all the comforts you could need. It is charming, as are the staff, helpful and considerate, turndowns immaculate and location, is almost too perfect.

The only reason I have dropped this down to four stars is the tranquil nature if the hotel is only damaged on one floor, by the inconsistent rumble of bay's water tube station, which is literally around the corner. In a louder, less tranquil hotel you wouldn't notice, but amongst the Japanese chic of the building my stay was only inconvenienced by the rumble. Having said that, I was obviously and all too immediately checked upon as to the quality of the room, and not hearing said rumble by then, said all was to be perfect, and I'm certain had I said anything, a different room would have been provided.

For proximity to transport, hyde park and oxford street, it is brilliant, just a shame about the ground floor on one side,

All in all near perfection, am I grumbling? No, it's the underground.

Room Tip: Ask for upstairs!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Chris N
La_Suite_West, General Manager at La Suite West - Hyde Park, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Dear Chris,

Thank you for your feedback and for choosing to stay with us.

We were pleased to learn that most of your expectations were met but we were disappointed to read that the "rumbling" from the nearby tube station could be heard. As you know we have two tube stations conveniently situated within 2 minutes’ walk from us, and on some occasions, trains can be heard, in particular during day time, when the area and London are vibrant at their most.

Next time you are in London, we shall make sure to allocate a room on a higher floor.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 23 December 2013

On of the highlights stay for our Euro trip in London.
Very classy and one of the best designer hotels we stayed. Very good staffs and attitude.
The heated marble flooring in the toilets - a blessing in Winter.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Evan80
Francesco P, General Manager at La Suite West - Hyde Park, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Dear Evan80,

Thank you!

Glad we exceeded your expecations and let's hope you will be and visit us in the not too didtant future.

Reviewed 20 December 2013

Calm, classy and the service is very friendly.
Location is perfect close to central and district lines and Hyde Park too.
Highly recommended if you don't want to spend too much but stillhave high standards!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear lalolo74,

Thank you for the lovely review and for your kind comments.

We hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 18 December 2013

In London there is every sort and style of hotel, there are good ones and there are some really awful hotels. La Suite is just a real gem of a hotel and somewhere you really should consider if you like smaller, more personal and cute hotels.

All the facilities you will need for a comfortable stay are here and the location is great with two tube stations just around the corner. The best thing about this hotel is the staff and the attitude. But equally all the technical stuff is here to. The beds are comfy, the internet fast, the TV's are okay, and breakfast is very enjoyable.

If I have one complaint is that the hotel corridors are a bit dark, it is the design, but for a single female it is a little bit off putting. I stayed here in early November and the room, on the ground floor was really nice. The little garden, which I used to smoke in was okay, but needed more heating for us smokers.

This gem is real value for money and will always be my home from home whenever I am in London, I hope sometime in February.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank BlairBush

Dear BlairBush,

What a lovely review, you really have made our day, and the fact that you are considering La Suite West as "your home away from home" means a lot to all of us!

See you soon.

Reviewed 16 December 2013

Myself and a friend stayed here for 2 nights on the 11th Dec 2013. On checking in the first impression of the chic reception captured our imagination, despite the hotel being in a less then chic part of London. We got our keys and enquired about breakfast times to be told that the restaurant was a vegan one (something I could just about live with) but the bar served no alcohol. We were not aware that there was no alcohol available and was a bit shocked on check in to be told to buy some from the Sainsburys local and bring it in (its what a lot of guests do apparently). If a lot of guests do this surely demand proves a dry bar is indeed not the greatest things to install in a London hotel? Unless out of rehab or incapable of self control, I don't think even people with the most self disciplined health regime would be offended having to sit in a bar next to someone consuming a glass of rose..perhaps this is where I am totally wrong. I came into London with a friend and had planned to relax in the hotel the first evening with a cold glass of wine or two before retiring ready for the following day. So that crushed the first set of plans so off we went to find that glass of wine, no decent places nearby so ended up on a tube to Regents Street _ hardly convenient. The rooms were designed in a way that I think they tried to capture elegance and modernity, only to create a room that was extremely dark and impractical. The carpet was so rough you needed to wear the slippers to prevent friction burns.
Room service was outrageous, having an identity crisis of being in the UK, chips are chips here, its even one of our national dishes, but not here, her it represents a packet of tortilla chips poured into a bowl served on a tray with an extortionate price tag. I think a tray of sandwiches I once ordered in Browns Hotel Mayfair came to less… On criticising this fact, they replaced it with complimentary chips (French Fries), albeit with an effort for all concerned. What I would have really enjoyed would have been perhaps some chicken sandwiches even a BLT, but nothing so ordinary or practical is listed on their menu.

For a romantic night of champagne filled cuddles, book elsewhere, unless you don't lose the romantic feel on the fact you had to sneak in your bottle as the rest of the guests apparently do!. Room was a twin room and pokey, but apparently it one on of the largest in the hotel!

All in all it was a disappointment and the only part I really enjoyed was checking out. Im in London again this week, I won't be returning this week or ever to La suite West. London has too many choices, and this has to be one of the most misfit places i have ever had the unfortunate experience to stay in. For just a little less, in fact the cost of the breakfast for 2 on 2 days you can do a lot better (with breakfast thrown in).
In summary not a great location, although they have tried with the decor, you can only do so much with limited space. Its dark, depressing almost claustrophobic and the worst point for us, didn't even have a real bar in which all these issues could have been smoothed.

Room Tip: Walls are very thin and you hear absolutely everything from behind them.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank JulieB-UK
Francesco P, General Manager at La Suite West - Hyde Park, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Dear JulieB-UK,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor.co.uk.
We were sorry to learn that not all your expectations were met this time, and would like to reassure you that we have taken your comments on board.
It is our aim to achieve a level of service which is beyond our guests’ expectations, and I am therefore grateful you have advised me of this valuable feedback.
We sincerely hope you will give la Suite West a second chance at some stage in the future and in the meantime, if we may assist further, please do not hesitate to contact us direct.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

I had very pleasant days at this hotel
It's chic and stylish but also with a warm atmosphere
My room was nice and well equipped and everyone in the staff was kind to me
Enjoy breakfast at the Raw restaurant, I will miss it tomorrow!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Dear crizfel,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor.co.uk.
You review was a pleasure to read and we shall personally ensure that your kind comments are passed onto the team.
We very much look forward to welcoming you back soon and in the meantime, if we may assist you further, please do not hesitate to contact us direct.